• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Should I take medication for OCD?

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I think I have OCD. I have not been diagnosed with OCD because I also have Schizophrenia and my psychiatrist mostly focuses on that illness. Still, I told him that I wash my hands much more than normal and he prescribed me Prozac. I don't notice much of a difference so I don't take it. Should I be taking it? I already take two meds for Schizophrenia. I don't want to take any more medications.

Every day I obsess about really little things that don't matter objectively, but to me they seem like life and death. I believe that terrible things will happen to me if I don't do really minor things. I worry about numbers and things like that. Like I have to repeat things several times because certain numbers are good and certain numbers are bad. That's just one way that I worry about little things.

A lot of times I have to do things a specific way or else I will feel like bad things will happen to me.

One of the voices that I hear in my head tries to help me with OCD. He tells me not to worry about the things that I worry about.

Thanks,

SnowTiger

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: devin553344

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

I think I have OCD. I have not been diagnosed with OCD because I also have Schizophrenia and my psychiatrist mostly focuses on that illness. Still, I told him that I wash my hands much more than normal and he prescribed me Prozac. I don't notice much of a difference so I don't take it. Should I be taking it? I already take two meds for Schizophrenia. I don't want to take any more medications.

Every day I obsess about really little things that don't matter objectively, but to me they seem like life and death. I believe that terrible things will happen to me if I don't do really minor things. I worry about numbers and things like that. Like I have to repeat things several times because certain numbers are good and certain numbers are bad. That's just one way that I worry about little things.

A lot of times I have to do things a specific way or else I will feel like bad things will happen to me.

Thanks,

SnowTiger

Hi SnowTiger, I've been reading some of the OCD threads and have schizophrenia myself. I noticed that my schizophrenia meds resolve my minor OCD symptoms. Perhaps you should discuss that with your doctor.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi,

One of the voices that I hear in my head tries to help me with OCD. He tells me not to worry about the things that I worry about.

Thanks,

SnowTiger
Here's what I've found with my own bipolar disorder: Focus on the primary diagnosis, and most of the secondary problems will resolve themselves. I went down a very long rabbit trail trying to personally treat my anxiety as such. It was beneficial in the the end, because I developed non-medicinal coping mechanisms that will come in handy if I have an acute episode later. But I wasted way too much time resisting a higher dose of anti-psychotic. When I took that higher dose, it became clear within weeks that the anxiety was just an expression of the paranoia that comes from my dysphoric moods. Resolve the moods, resolve the anxiety. If your "OCD" symptoms are causing you distress, by all means discuss it with the psychiatrist. But trust his/her experience. It's easy not to, with all the Christian rhetoric against psychiatrists and whatever anxieties/paranoias of your own you may be struggling with. But it's worth it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First thing I'd say is never go off your meds just because you may feel they aren't working. It may take a while to start kicking into gear and hopefully improving somethings. If you don't feel any change tell your doctor so he can come up with a new plan of action. Sometimes stopping your meds yourself can make other issues.

Now as for not wanting to take meds because you hate taking meds. I think most people feel that way. Meds may make you feel better, but sometimes you have to deal with side effects or damage to your body from meds.

I used to take about 16 meds. After I hit my 20s I told my doctor I REALLY wanted to stop taking the ones I absolutely did not need. I don't want to pass away early because of organ damage or whatever may happen.

So now I only take 7 to 8 meds. Still alot I know but these are essential or else I can't live anywhere near a normal life. I am off my anxiety pills if I recall. They turned me into a zombie and I hated it. The trade off wasn't worth it.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Thanks,

SnowTiger

I take Vraylar for my psychosis, I’ve tried so many and they all make me a zombie. I have to take other meds for the side effects the others create. Praying for you :bow:

• Prayers
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, Jesus is gentle and kind. And God's word tells all of us >

"Be anxious for nothing" (in Philippians 4:6-7).

God is able to change us so we do not trust worry. Worry is such a pathological lier, isn't it? Plus, worry tortures us; it is not kind to us; so it is uncaring and anti-love. Yet, many people who are considered to be respectable and normal keep trusting and even obeying their worry and hurry!!

But God's word says >

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18)

In my opinion, it is possible for a psychiatric medicine to help to ease your mind and emotions, and there can be medicines which take a while before having their effect. So, I would pray and make sure about how you should trust your doctor. Trust God to make you wise. And then decide if and how you need to follow your doctor's directions. Because medicines and doctors are limited, and God is not limited; but He does use certain people to help us. So, it is good to pray and make sure with God, and there are compassionate people who can help you with this.

Deeper than our brains which are physical . . . there are things which are spiritual in us; these spiritual things are not organic, not what a physical medication can cure. If God's word says not to be anxious, this means there is spiritual sort of fear, and God is the only One, and Jesus is the only way, to cure any fear which is spiritual by nature.

"'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:29)

And anyone qualified to help you with this will not browbeat you or guilt-trip you and talk down to you. Many of us have problems with where our attention belongs and how we can suffer torment of worry. And we need how Jesus in us is almighty to correct us and change us to be strong in His love, "and you will find rest for your souls."

Upvote 0