m
✟7,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My 7 year old son is crazy lately about playing dress-up with his female friends (most of his friends are girls although he does get on very well with a couple of boys too - his best friend is a boy, they're inseperable when they're together).

To be honest, it worries me a lot as a father to see him running around in dresses and skirts when I go to pic him up from play dates. He's already a nervy, sensitive kid, not into team sports at all and most of his friends are female. On the other hand it's not like he's unsure about whether he's a boy or a girl - he's definitely certain about that fact. I asked him once if he ever wished he was a girl and he said "What for? I just wanna be a boy not a girl", so that seems settled.

I strongly suspect that many children are pushed toward feelings of being transgender by adults who insist on gendering interests, hobbies, and careers. Being interested in team sports or hunting or other stereotypical male interests isn't what makes someone a man. Being interested in cooking or flowers or liking the color pink isn't what makes someone a woman. But in today's society, little boys who like to play with dolls and little girls who like to play with trucks are pushed toward questioning whether they are actually little boys and little girls when there was no such thought in their mind; they were just playing with fun toys. I think there's a good case for letting kids be kids and teaching them that it isn't society's stereotypes and outward expressions that make them men and women. If a little boy truly isn't interested in team sports or whatever other stereotypical male activity and the men in his life effectively say "What?!?! Are you a little girl? All men are into team sports! You're a man aren't you?" that seems likely to produce the exact opposite effect that those men likely intended, especially in today's society.

Upvote 0

MournfulWatcher

In the beginning was the Word.
Feb 15, 2016
United States
✟110,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The thing is, people forget that the reason most men today have the trans struggle, is gender dysphoria, not because they wore a dress when they were 5. People are so paranoid and uneducated. As long as he gets a balanced approach from the masculine approach he should be fine. Clothing in Bible times between male and female were basically identical. All wore long robes and head coverings. Of course in Bible times kids probably ran around naked so i'm sure some of the people here would faint at the side of that.

The disturbing thing on this thread is all the people sexualizing a kid. Hes not in puberty, hes not an adult. He is too young for it to be considered perversion. Stop being so paranoid and bigoted that you forget that.
I couldn't agree more. Pretending to be something you're not is what childhood is all about; it's generally not wise to discourage what is a natural and healthy part of your child's development. It's certainly not unusual for kids to pretend to be the opposite gender; my brother used to dress in my grandma's clothes and pretend to be her, but he obviously didn't believe it. Now he's 22 and conservative with a girlfriend.

What I find odd is how we are much more lenient with girls dressing boyishly or pretending to be boys, but when boys pretend to be feminine everyone panics. The majority of girls who dress like boys when young are perfectly normal adult women now. I know because I went through a phase where I hated girly stuff, and lots of other girls did too. It's considered normal. But if someone has a little boy who goes through a phase where he doesn't care for boyish things, it's considered dangerous.

OP doesn't need to worry. He said his son likes being a boy; all he's doing is playing pretend with his friends. If OP is still concerned, then maybe he can do some more traditionally male activities with his son or introduce his son to other boys his age.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My 7 year old son is crazy lately about playing dress-up with his female friends (most of his friends are girls although he does get on very well with a couple of boys too - his best friend is a boy, they're inseperable when they're together).

To be honest, it worries me a lot as a father to see him running around in dresses and skirts when I go to pic him up from play dates. He's already a nervy, sensitive kid, not into team sports at all and most of his friends are female. On the other hand it's not like he's unsure about whether he's a boy or a girl - he's definitely certain about that fact. I asked him once if he ever wished he was a girl and he said "What for? I just wanna be a boy not a girl", so that seems settled.

The behaviour seems harmless on the surface but then again, the Bible also reads pretty straight on this it seems: “A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God." (Deut. 22:5)

It all seems innocent enough now but I've seen innocent behaviour turn into something much more dangerous. I saw this first-hand in my younger brother who's hopelessly addicted to weed which began with "innocent" experimentation when he was 15.

I don't really know what to do. I don't want to overreact. Some of his friends' parents are pretty liberal too and I don't want them to go "poor kid with his crazy fundie dad". What's the moral thing to do here? Should I stamp out this behaviour and insist on God's word on this or just let it be and hope it's just a passing phase?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well now, it be troubling to me that a father say he don't know what to do in the
matter of his son, who has lots of playdates with girls, and his child be regularly putting on clothing that's feminine when he plays with the girls.

All this makes me wonder why you haven't bought your son dress up clothes for boys and or helped him make his own boy dress up clothing to take along when he's playing dress up with girls?
There no reason he should always have to put on girl's things... why aren't they being taught to respect one another's gender?

As a father, you to lead your son in biblical standards and that includes reflecting the image he be created in, teach him to respectfully decline putting on clothes that reflect femininity and to put on his own dress up clothes that reflect his own maleness and that it's fine to respect different genders but it's not OK to say or imply it be wrong for your son not to dress according to his own biological gender.

It may also be good to do this...Proverbs 12:26
"The righteous should choose his friends carefully, For the way of the wicked leads them astray."

If your sons little girl friends and they parents be of the mind that they should
encourage/say/imply it's fine to disobey biblical standards, you should start
looking for believers who are striving to be obedient to God's Word and raising
up god-honoring children.

• Agree
Reactions: Bass4Jesus
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You don't know women who hunt? Do women hunt in dresses, no!

I hunted in either a broadcloth jumper dress or culottes with thick knee shocks on and outdoor shoes from LLBean....daddy taught us children
how to hunt, fish and trap as soon as we were walking and talking...'cept me, I was daddy's girl, he'd carry me around and we'd go fishing and trapping lots.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Truly did not expect a straight answer have a good day Bob

And you should not have. Use your Bible for good, not for abusing women or anyone else that you're not.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My 7 year old boy had such an aversion from all things "girl", I couldn't imagine a 7 year old being comfortable with dressing up in girl clothing. My boy and his sister have always been rather gender specific naturally. I'd not say much if the child was only 4, or maybe 5. But 7?

Draw the line. He's old enough to know that boys dress in boy clothing. Girls dress in girl clothing. First, it isn't necessarily socially acceptable. Second, on a more spiritual note, it doesn't please God. I'd tell him that God lovingly made him a boy, it's a very special gift, and that God desires that he dress like a boy and act like a boy.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lots of people are saying this is a bad sign and you should stop it, but there is another possibility. If you try to steer him into "liking manly things", there's a chance he'll end up resenting you for it. And then, in an attempt to defy you, he'll dress up like a girl more. I'm single and have never had any children or even been in a relationship, so I don't know any of this for sure, so I could be wrong on this point. But I say just let him go through this phase and maybe ask him why he enjoys it if he's ok with being a boy. There is a chance that he'll grow out of it, and it might be greater if you just let it die out on its own and wait for him to get a new interest.

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The behaviour seems harmless on the surface but then again, the Bible also reads pretty straight on this it seems: “A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God." (Deut. 22:5)

It all seems innocent enough now but I've seen innocent behaviour turn into something much more dangerous. I saw this first-hand in my younger brother who's hopelessly addicted to weed which began with "innocent" experimentation when he was 15.

I don't really know what to do. I don't want to overreact. Some of his friends' parents are pretty liberal too and I don't want them to go "poor kid with his crazy fundie dad". What's the moral thing to do here? Should I stamp out this behaviour and insist on God's word on this or just let it be and hope it's just a passing phase?

He's probably okay, but my worry is what some of the more liberal parents might say to him... or try to convince him of.

If it was me, I'd put some money aside and take him to a super cool manly store and let him do dress up with man / boy stuff that he doesn't usually get to. Suit and tie, maybe some cool camo... you get the idea.

I bet the real thing here is he is the creative type, and that's why he wants to dress up. Get him into music... he probably wants to dress like a rock star, a bit showy, maybe a bit flashy and weird, and you can help him do that like a guy. Let him get a crazy hairstyle or something like that. Just throwing out some ideas.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
You don't know women who hunt? Do women hunt in dresses, no!
Yes I do know who hunt. I am just saying if that is what she wants to hunt in a dress then fine. It's ok for a woman to be in a dress, Even though the briars and brush might be a little rough on her legs. lol

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Should I assume that you feel the same way about girls/women only wear dresses, not pants?
Should I assume that you are against little girls playing with trucks/heavy equipment or playing they are a soldier?
Playing with toys is a whole lot different than dressing like the opposite sex and it's I believe little girls should dress like little girls and little boys like little boys. Wow what is this world coming too when people wanna change what God has ordained.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi Daniel, thanks for reaching out! .. I see there is a lot of help coming your way lol, so I will add my points briefly for you:

1. You should definitely not try to "stamp" it out - the problem is that you will be tempting him to sin by rebellion. Instead the better approach is to carefully, patiently plant ideas that grow into a genuine sense of awareness of the fact that it is embarrassing for boys to wear girls clothes.

I say this based upon the principle found in Romans 7:7-11: "I was alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came to life and through it, I died."

The reason this happens, is because you would be commanding righteousness to him before it has become his own expression of morality - and therefore what you have done is bypassed the necessary part of growth that The Holy Spirit does in a person (1 Corinthians 3:6), that is to teach them a genuine knowledge of righteousness through direct experience.

You will find as a parent that your role is far more effective by trusting God to do the convicting, which will probably come through kids at school, or maybe through something he hears spoken elsewhere, and if he trusts you, then he will ask you to explain why they make fun of it, and that is when you'll have the perfect opportunity to explain it with grace when it will be well received.

2. He still hasn't "eaten of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil", so to speak. He has no conscience about the abomination it is, he is innocent - just as Adam and Eve did not know they were naked, and as a toddler is unaware of their nakedness, this is his stage of awareness of that degree of civility.

3. It isn't the same as doing drugs or having sex for the first time. To his mind, it is the same as colouring in a girl's picture book. That does naturally become a thing that children grow out of, but they all begin having no awareness of that cultural expectation.

4. Be cautious of those you have called "liberal", because there is a type that is as I am, righteous but gracious, and there is a type that is unrighteous. If they are truly unrighteous, they will be sowing seeds that can grow to drive a wedge between you and your son (Proverbs 29:27).

It is good to recognise that children are 100% pure, an undefiled, clean slate, empty book when they are born, and from that state they may grow into a person who tends to have good virtues, or one who tends to have an attitude against those whose values oppose their desires. "Make a tree good and it's fruit will be good, or make a tree rotten and it's fruit will be rotten" (consider 1 Corinthians 15:33).

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
The thing is, people forget that the reason most men today have the trans struggle, is gender dysphoria, not because they wore a dress when they were 5. People are so paranoid and uneducated. As long as he gets a balanced approach from the masculine approach he should be fine. Clothing in Bible times between male and female were basically identical. All wore long robes and head coverings. Of course in Bible times kids probably ran around naked so i'm sure some of the people here would faint at the side of that.

The disturbing thing on this thread is all the people sexualizing a kid. Hes not in puberty, hes not an adult. He is too young for it to be considered perversion. Stop being so paranoid and bigoted that you forget that.
It is not sexualizing a child at all. It is about a 7 year old boy that is being allowed to do something the bible prohibits.
NOW. Is that fine? Perhaps it is in your religion, But not my christian beliefs because I believe what the bible teaches to be the truth and the Word of God that should be followed.

• Agree
Reactions: Bass4Jesus
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hunted in either a broadcloth jumper dress or culottes with thick knee shocks on and outdoor shoes from LLBean....daddy taught us children
how to hunt, fish and trap as soon as we were walking and talking...'cept me, I was daddy's girl, he'd carry me around and we'd go fishing and trapping lots.
I know many, many women who hunt, Christian and non-Christian and none of them hunt in a dress/skirt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I know many, many women who hunt, Christian and non-Christian and none of them hunt in a dress/skirt.
some do actually
27b753b9c94bc61c1967f26d75ec2dd2.jpg

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is not sexualizing a child at all. It is about a 7 year old boy that is being allowed to do something the bible prohibits.
NOW. Is that fine? Perhaps it is in your religion, But not my christian beliefs because I believe what the bible teaches to be the truth and the Word of God that should be followed.

Implying my "religion" isn't Christian because I personally disagree with you. Ugh.

Please, show me a verse that says a boy wearing a dress is a sin. You've posted many verses, but none of them say that.

And don't quote Dueteronomy because that verse is about crossdressing which is a sexual perversion.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
See friend, The whole point is this, The "ignoring of scripture" Not that the little feller is going to be a flaming homo in three years because of this particular isolated event but it's about the leaven involved in allowing a little sin in. You think something is cute and sweet and innocent so you let it slide and the next thing you know, It is blown all out of proportion and is a full blown big sin which gives birth to death.
I know this child is innocent and probably doesn't realize the seriousness of his actions, However the father does and he is responsible for the child's actions. So if we ignore the scripture that says don't wear women's clothes, Then why can't we ignore a few others? You see my point Sir?

• Optimistic
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Implying my "religion" isn't Christian because I personally disagree with you. Ugh.

Please, show me a verse that says a boy wearing a dress is a sin. You've posted many verses, but none of them say that.

And don't quote Dueteronomy because that verse is about crossdressing which is a sexual perversion.
Duet 22:5 A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this...
UGH!!!

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My 7 year old boy had such an aversion from all things "girl", I couldn't imagine a 7 year old being comfortable with dressing up in girl clothing. My boy and his sister have always been rather gender specific naturally. I'd not say much if the child was only 4, or maybe 5. But 7?

Draw the line. He's old enough to know that boys dress in boy clothing. Girls dress in girl clothing. First, it isn't necessarily socially acceptable. Second, on a more spiritual note, it doesn't please God. I'd tell him that God lovingly made him a boy, it's a very special gift, and that God desires that he dress like a boy and act like a boy.
Did you thoroughly read the OP? It doesn't sound like it to me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.