California
✟290,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want my parents to get new smart phones. They have some older Samsung phones right now. I worry they will download malware by accident from Google's app store. Also no more Android updates for their devices.

Does apple have more control over the apps accepted into their app store then Google? Apple maintain their iPhone OS software for longer? iPhone probably a better choice for them? Opinions appreciated.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,135.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can't speak about iPhones, as I'm very much an Android girl. But I've used Samsung phones for years and not had any issues with Malware. Google's Play store is pretty good at keeping dangerous apps out. And these days there's not much in the way of malware that is going to damage your phone. The developers of such software have learned that there's far more money to be made by selling your details to others. So if you are careful and only download reputable apps, you should be fine.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't speak about iPhones, as I'm very much an Android girl. But I've used Samsung phones for years and not had any issues with Malware. Google's Play store is pretty good at keeping dangerous apps out. And these days there's not much in the way of malware that is going to damage your phone. The developers of such software have learned that there's far more money to be made by selling your details to others. So if you are careful and only download reputable apps, you should be fine.

I have a Pixel 6 and like Android myself, am careful as to what gets installed on my phone. I explained to them that some apps might be malicious, and to use caution when installing things. I need to do more research before purchasing anything, thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

Serendipitous Waffle

Jul 18, 2023
Viken
✟55,420.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Scams and malware will always be an issue, no matter the device. However, I believe the Apple play store may not be as bad as Android's simply because selling an app is a lot tougher on the Apple app store which weeds out a lot of bad developers. (And some good ones, unfortunately.) However, boiled down I do think the iPhone may be a better choice in general even though personally, I really like Android.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟66,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if Apple does a better job keeping malicious apps out of their store compared to Google, but I would not buy an iPhone. They cost more and you have less control over them. Androids are cheaper and you can make them last longer.

If you're worried about your parents putting malicious apps on their phone, educate them. If you want my opinion on that, you're welcome to ask.

Do they have an anti-malware app on their phone? I use Bitdefender on mine.

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My employer supplied iphones while my personal phone was an Android. I much preferred Android. I thought operations were more intuitive on the Android, which surprised me actually. In the early days of computers, I experienced Apple as more user-friendly than PC's. I have never had a problem w/ malware on my Android (nor did I on my work iphone for that matter)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want my parents to get new smart phones. They have some older Samsung phones right now. I worry they will download malware by accident from Google's app store. Also no more Android updates for their devices.

Does apple have more control over the apps accepted into their app store then Google? Apple maintain their iPhone OS software for longer? iPhone probably a better choice for them? Opinions appreciated.
Both Apple and Android have their strengths and weaknesses. Apple tends to update software for a few more years compared to Android, but the basic hardware design of the iPhone has stagnated since 2020 or so, and the cost is near $1000. If an iPhone updates for say, 5-6 years, while and Android updates for three years, but costs $350, it is still cheaper to go with the Android, even if you buy the Android twice as often. Also, most people never own their phones for more than 4 years, so a Samsung Galaxy A54 series is the best. They get three years of Android updates, and cost $350. Stay away from Motorola nowadays, as they are owned by the Chinese (Lenovo) and only get two years of updates. I know, as I own a Motorola G7. Next phone I am getting is the Samsung A55, which will release in March of 2024. Keep in mind, the European Union (EU) may make regulations which could allow for phones sold worldwide to support 5 years of software updates, so by late 2024 or early 2025, Androids will be legally required to update their software for five full years. Knowing how the iPhone was required to use the USB-C standard for the iPhone 15's charging port, and how the USB-C port is on iPhone 15s worldwide, it is reasonable to assume that companies will sell their phones worldwide with EU-compliant technology.

I am a bi, celibate Christian man and am open-minded to gay folks, but if one somehow have an issue purchasing from a company that has a gay CEO (Tim Cook of Apple came out in 2014), it is best for you to go with Android.

EU Law: EU pushes for 5 years of Android updates — and that’s good news for everyone

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for neglecting my thread everyone. I haven't bought them anything yet. My Mother likes photography so I want to get her one with a good camera. Decided against two iPhone because they seem expensive. So some inexpensive android for my Dad and one with good cameras for my Mom. I am going to shop around some more.

I did purchase a Pixel 8 for myself though. 7 years of updates on the Pixel and nice cameras. I might get her that one.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for neglecting my thread everyone. I haven't bought them anything yet. My Mother likes photography so I want to get her one with a good camera. Decided against two iPhone because they seem expensive. So some inexpensive android for my Dad and one with good cameras for my Mom. I am going to shop around some more.

I did purchase a Pixel 8 for myself though. 7 years of updates on the Pixel and nice cameras. I might get her that one.
Both Samsung and the Pixel have great cameras.

• Informative
Reactions: elytron
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟66,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

On the Pixel phones, you can also install non-Google Android operating systems as well.

• Informative
Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On the Pixel phones, you can also install non-Google Android operating systems as well.

Have read about the other custom Android ROMs which are available. I wouldn't want to install one though because the default Google Android on the Pixel is already pretty good. Maybe on other phones I would consider.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have read about the other custom Android ROMs which are available. I wouldn't want to install one though because the default Google Android on the Pixel is already pretty good. Maybe on other phones I would consider.
Yeah, some people have installed Ubuntu on their Androids, but for me, I will stick with the default Android. Well hey, both Ubuntu and Android are based on the Linux kernel or a kernel variation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟66,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I have a Pixel 6a that has Graphene OS. I looked at YouTube videos on installing it myself, but I was worried I would mess up the phone, since I had never installed a different operating system on a phone before. I ended up buying the phone with Graphene installed on it from a small business that specializes in that.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
In the case of what elytron was talking about in the original post, I would recommend leaving your parents on the phone operating system that they know, just as a matter of principle. As people age, new changes become more difficult to handle, and it's better to keep things the same as much as possible. (At least, if my aging parents are any indication.)

As for me, I have an iPad and iPhone and recently I acquired a RCA Voyager II from a friend. I have to say, after playing with that and an Android emulator for PC, that I much prefer the Apple ecosystem still. The Google App store has too many get-rich-quick-scheme apps and ads for them on their platform. By contrast, the Apple store has nice games and ads for them in their store. As the pinnacle, Hello Kitty Island Adventure was a beautiful game with no ads at all. Even games like Merge Mansion, Royal Match, Classic Bejeweled that have advertising in them - it's just a better experience.

I think part of it is how I entered each "world" of apps, but I can't say I'm a fan of get-rich-quick scammers and Apple keeps them out, so that's a win in my book.

Upvote 0

SharonRiebe

Feb 16, 2024
Orlando
✟8,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the case of what elytron was talking about in the original post, I would recommend leaving your parents on the phone operating system that they know, just as a matter of principle. As people age, new changes become more difficult to handle, and it's better to keep things the same as much as possible. (At least, if my aging parents are any indication.)

As for me, I have an iPad and iPhone and recently I acquired a RCA Voyager II from a friend. I have to say, after playing with that and an Android emulator for PC, that I much prefer the Apple ecosystem still. The Google App store has too many get-rich-quick-scheme apps and ads for them on their platform. By contrast, the Apple store has nice games and ads for them in their store. As the pinnacle, Hello Kitty Island Adventure was a beautiful game with no ads at all. Even games like Merge Mansion, Royal Match, Classic Bejeweled that have advertising in them - it's just a better experience.

I think part of it is how I entered each "world" of apps, but I can't say I'm a fan of get-rich-quick scammers and Apple keeps them out, so that's a win in my book. And in general I'd say that for me using iPhone is easier and more understandable. Everything is clear, and even if I don't know how to do something, I can easily find that info online. So, I think I'll be on the Apple team forever. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and I'm thinking about getting the newest version. It still works fine, but I want a better battery, so just look for the info, compare characteristics, and consider all the pros and cons of such an upgrade. I also came across this article https://setapp.com/how-to/disable-find-my-iphone-easily which provided me some info about the most popular and important feature of iPhone - find my iPhone. And it's good to know that I need to turn it off if I want to sell it for security reasons. It's worth reading for all iPhone users.
I agree with you. I used different Android gadgets, and I've been an Apple user for the last few years. So, I have experience with both Android and Apple ecosystems, and I can say that Apple works better for me.

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I've read some good things about Apples's support and security, but learning a new environment can be a daunting task if they are not both technical and up for it. They might be better served with up to date Android phones. Be aware that the higher tier Samsung phones are supported by Samsung for longer, and many lower-tier selections from them and their competition are supported for a much shorter time. Some are practically EOL the day you buy them. Google on the other hand, is supporting their newer phones for almost as long as Samsung.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've read some good things about Apples's support and security, but learning a new environment can be a daunting task if they are not both technical and up for it. They might be better served with up to date Android phones. Be aware that the higher tier Samsung phones are supported by Samsung for longer, and many lower-tier selections from them and their competition are supported for a much shorter time. Some are practically EOL the day you buy them. Google on the other hand, is supporting their newer phones for almost as long as Samsung.
Yeah, Samsung now has 5 years of updates, which is almost on par with Apple. A Samsung Galaxy A54 (2023 model, costs $375) has support for 5 years of security updates and 4 years of operating system updates. Just bought it a few days ago. That means my phone will be supported until early 2027 for operating systems, and early 2028 for security updates. I will keep it a year or two after, so maybe 2029 or 2030.

Stay away from Motorola. Those phones only get two years of updates

Google phones last even longer, for instance, the Google Pixel 8/8a should receive 7 years of updates, so through October 2030.

Motorola (stay away from): The Problem With Motorola Phones
Galaxy A54 info: Samsung’s Galaxy A54 5G and A34 5G will get lots of updates
Pixel 8 Info: What does Google's 7-year update promise for Pixel 8 mean to you? [Poll]

Upvote 0