Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A priest’s greatest joy is his ordination and he appreciates all those who share in his joy.

It’s ordination season and throughout the country people are wondering: Should I buy gift? We celebrate ordinations but unlike weddings, gift giving leaves many in a quandary. Priests might live in the rectory or in some remote village as a missionary, but either way, a toaster does not seem quite right.

Do priests even need anything? And would giving money be weird or an insult? I asked two priests and a storeowner who carries supplies for priests how people should handle gift giving at ordination time.

First off, understand that not all priests take a vow of poverty. They all commit to a simple life but diocesan priests receive a modest salary so they must budget and spend in the real world. As canon 281.1 notes, clergy deserve the remuneration that befits their condition, since they dedicate themselves to the ecclesiastical ministry. This remuneration should provide for the necessities of life.

Priest that live in community and/or take a vow of poverty own little to nothing and receive a small stipend — around $100 a month — to buy a few personal items. Otherwise, everything is taken care of. If the priest has an outside job such as a college professor, he can earn a salary but all of it goes to the community.

Continued below.