Should Harry Potter be used in the classroom?

Should Harry Potter books be used in the classroom?

• Yes, I believe Harry Potter should be used in the classroom

• No, I do not believe Harry Potter should be used in the classroom

• I live in the U.S.

• I live out of the country

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zalnavris

Dec 27, 2004
✟7,707.00
Faith
Baptist
CrownCaster said:
I understand that you are just a boy but you really need to think before you post. Are you a Christian????? The Bible claims sole truth. I accept that. I do not care if anyone else claims truth and I am not dictating what it is but relying on God's Word to dictate what truth is. Now, if you are a Christian?, you would know that those outside Jesus Christ are going to spend eternity in hell. I for one am not willing to stand by and just watch that so I am not seen as intolerant. Also, using swear words does not make you sound more mature so simmer down. Would your mom like the language you are using?
Yes im a christian and since when is hell a cuse word, to some of us its a place that exists, and so by saying sure as hell im infering that its an absoult and, to show strong immotion. To the point of those outside of jesus goin to hell i belive in election and so if a person is an elect and hasnt ever herd of jesus then he will go to heavn. And i dont sound mature, im not the one who is so unsecure in my faith that i go around shuting down other religons. Im not as knowligable of the bible as i should be but i dont know of anywere where God says to shut down other religons, however im preaty sur jesus said that this world was the kingdom of Saten and that he would rule here(pls dont take this as meaning wiccins worship saten, not what im saying) and that one day he would come back destroy this world and set up a new kingdom were there would be eternal peace and happiness.

Upvote 0

Zalnavris

Dec 27, 2004
✟7,707.00
Faith
Baptist
CrownCaster said:
Okay, I am officially finished responding to children.
So because were younger you dont think were worthy of your time? Well if you hadnt noticed the 15 year olds have the guts to answer the qustions were asked were a 34 year old can only put down other people when asked a qustion. Are is it that beacuse your older you feel that your wiser, thus making you right in all you say. hmmmmm. Is someone afraid to lose an argument to a teenager.

Upvote 0

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
Zalnavris said:
So because were younger you dont think were worthy of your time? Well if you hadnt noticed the 15 year olds have the guts to answer the qustions were asked were a 34 year old can only put down other people when asked a qustion. Are is it that beacuse your older you feel that your wiser, thus making you right in all you say. hmmmmm. Is someone afraid to lose an argument to a teenager.
:scratch: Need to get my super spy decoder ring for this one. ;)

Upvote 0

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
kiwimac said:
Don't add things CC, Jesus simply says he will draw all folk to himself.

Kiwimac
And you add your own interpretation of this that suits your purpose while disregarding the rest that says people will spend eternity in hell. Looking at one scripture and basing your theology is dangerous. We must take in the WHOLE counsel of God and see what it tells us in it's entirety.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
The real question is "used in the classroom for what purpose?" (and at what grade level while you're at it...).

I question what literary value the books have that they deserve to be taught in schools in the first place (although I freely admit that I have not read them, but they are passed off as pop fiction, not having literary merit). Their real value could be seen as encouraging children to be avid readers and to read carefully. That's justification enough to allow them for those of a younger age, but time would be best spent on studying serious literature at an older age. And encouraging reading early as a student would facilitate serious study at an older age, so it does serve a purpose.

I don't see what the religious argument is, especially when (1) the books are fiction and (2) public schools are not subject to religious justifications for banning books from courses. The books do seem to be inherently harmless, and if they encourage reading, that can only be seen as a good thing, though time should not be wasted on them for older students.

Reactions: GreenDragon
Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, Harry Potter isn't designed for Elementary students.

One of my biggest gripes about people that demand censorship of something is that usually they have never experienced it themselves. Of the people that come into this thread calling the books satanic I am willing to wager that not one of them have read any of the books that have been released thus far and most likely will not read all 7.

prej·u·dice (noun)
An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zalnavris

Dec 27, 2004
✟7,707.00
Faith
Baptist
morningstar2651 said:

One of my biggest gripes about people that demand censorship of something is that usually they have never experienced it themselves. Of the people that come into this thread calling the books satanic I am willing to wager that not one of them have read any of the books that have been released thus far and most likely will not read all 7.

prej·u·dice (noun)
An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
ill wager that to. whats the cap on how much we can bet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
morningstar2651 said:

prej·u·dice (noun)
You are right that I have not read the books all the way. I have though, looked into them far enough to come to the conclusions I have. I have also spoken with respected leaders and Christians who have looked further into them then I and discussed the outcome with them. I will not read any of them. I do not need to swim in the sewer to know it stinks.

BTW, is Dee Snyder still around? I remember seeing them and WASP at the Salt Palace as a kid. Man, he must be five hundred by now. Wow, nostalgia. Thanks for the memory.

Upvote 0

Zalnavris

Dec 27, 2004
✟7,707.00
Faith
Baptist
CrownCaster said:
You are right that I have not read the books all the way. I have though, looked into them far enough to come to the conclusions I have. I have also spoken with respected leaders and Christians who have looked further into them then I and discussed the outcome with them. I will not read any of them. I do not need to swim in the sewer to know it stinks.

BTW, is Dee Snyder still around? I remember seeing them and WASP at the Salt Palace as a kid. Man, he must be five hundred by now. Wow, nostalgia. Thanks for the memory.
wich means, he looked saw the word magic and came to conclusion. As to the others you spoke of i canot say du to the fact that i dont have there opinons and the resons behind them.

Upvote 0