Should Harry Potter be used in the classroom?

Should Harry Potter books be used in the classroom?

• Yes, I believe Harry Potter should be used in the classroom

• No, I do not believe Harry Potter should be used in the classroom

• I live in the U.S.

• I live out of the country

Results are only viewable after voting.

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
Zalnavris said:
wich means, he looked saw the word magic and came to conclusion. As to the others you spoke of i canot say du to the fact that i dont have there opinons and the resons behind them.
You have no idea what I did or did not see in these books to come to this conclusion. I know that at your age you think you know it all but it really isn't true.

Upvote 0

Volos

Jun 25, 2003
Michign
✟4,244.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Zalnavris said:
wich means, he looked saw the word magic and came to conclusion. As to the others you spoke of i canot say du to the fact that i dont have there opinons and the resons behind them.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. I find it amazing the number of people who are all to willing to complain about a book like this of a movie or a television show when it is painfully obvious that they didn’t bother to read or watch the material in question.

Any one who actually took the time to read the Harry Potter books would realize that Rowling is writing a children’s fantasy novel not a dissertation of Magic. Anyone who would bother to learn ANYTHING about magic, witchcraft, Wicca etc would know that waving stick and shouting Latin phrases in no more magic than saying “beam me up Scotty” won’t actually teleport you anywhere.

Upvote 0

Zalnavris

Dec 27, 2004
✟7,707.00
Faith
Baptist
CrownCaster said:
You have no idea what I did or did not see in these books to come to this conclusion. I know that at your age you think you know it all but it really isn't true.
My age has jack to do with it. My opinon is as valid as yours, and i just stated the conclusion i came to from reading your posts.

Upvote 0

Living Soul Dance

Sep 23, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Visit site
✟439.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
tcampen said:
[/color]

P.S. How many childred have been ruined by Harry Potter? Any?

The Daystar Television Network did a report on Harry Potter an the effects it has on school age children.
The report showed children experimenting with withcraft.
That is why I am against it!

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Really?
Can you give us a link to their data, or statistics, and explanation how they did their research etc. ?
How did they define experimenting and how did they define witchcraft?

I could see children running around and pretending they are Harry Potter, but that is no more experimenting with witchcraft than a kid running around pretending he is spiderman or batman.

Living Soul Dance said:
The Daystar Television Network did a report on Harry Potter an the effects it has on school age children.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Living Soul Dance said:

Daystar is a conservative christian television network. Daystar's mission statement

http://www.daystar.com/about.htm said:
Daystar Television Network has a singular goal—to reach souls with the good news of Jesus Christ. We seek out every available means of distribution to a world in need of hope. With an extensive blend of interdenominational and multi-cultural programming, Daystar is committed to producing and providing quality television that will reach our viewers, refresh their lives, and renew their hearts.

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that the report is unbiased or accurate. It's like looking to the oil companies for studies on global warming.

Upvote 0

Living Soul Dance

Sep 23, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Visit site
✟439.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
tcampen said:
[/color]

Private schools can make determinations on what literature to read based on religious preferences - public school cannot, at least in America. We have that pesky 1st Amendment thing.

Gee, ever read Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer? Those are staples in elementary school literature, and the main characters therein display far worse acts of disobedience than Harry Potter. As for potions, crystal balls, etc., I guess that's why its called "Fiction." "Fiction" means it's not based on real events or people - it is not history, a biography, or anything of the sort. If magic is off limits for literature, then you've wiped out a bit of Shakespeare as well, including McBeth, A Midsummernight's Dream and The Tempest. Are we banning all of this too? I read this stuff in school before becoming an adult.

That's a fair comment. Personally, I don't think Harry Potter should be part of the school cirriculum for the entire class to read, since it is has not yet attained such literary status. The content of the story is in no way troubling to me, especially when one takes a look at other accepted books already used in school. But if a kid wants to do a book report on a Harry Potter novel. Great.

P.S. How many childred have been ruined by Harry Potter? Any?

Whitches and witchcraft are real! Not fiction! That is the real issue here. Whether we want cult religious practices taught to our Christian Children!

How would Jesus answer this survey?
Would he say "Yes, I believe we should teach Harry Potter to our children?"
And if you believe that, prove it biblically and don't take his words out of context!

So far this forum has been nothing but your opinions.
And, your opinions have held no biblical foundation.

Until you can prove to me that God is okay with teaching Harry Potter's withcraft practices to our children, you will not sway my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Except that Harry Potter does not teach real witchcraft, or at least thats what all my Witch friends tell me. Maybe they are wrong and don't know anything about witchcraft.

If HarryPotter teaches real witchcraft then The Matrix teaches the real story of Jesus.

Cult religion? Ugh, i get the feeling trying to talk to you about this calmly without buzz words is going to be hard.

Living Soul Dance said:
Whitches and witchcraft are real! Not fiction! That is the real issue here. Whether we want cult religious practices taught to our Christian Children!

Upvote 0

Living Soul Dance

Sep 23, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Visit site
✟439.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
robot23 said:
niether do yours
you don't know what cult practices or what the "witchcraft" was that was taught to kids

Poor thing,
You sound offended. :cry:
Don't be, it's just a survey.

Here's a little bible for you.

Galatians 5:19-20
"Now the works of the flesh are obvious:
Idolatry, Sorcery, enmities, strif, jealousy, anger, quarrels (don't be angery), dissensions, factions, envy, drunkness, arousing, and things like these. I am warning you, as I warned you before: Those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Don't get mad at me. This is not my word! :angel:

Upvote 0

hernyaccent

single black female addicted to retail
Dec 27, 2004
New York City
✟2,905.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Living Soul Dance said:
Poor thing,
You sound offended. :cry:
Don't be, it's just a survey.

Here's a little bible for you.

Idolatry, Sorcery, enmities, strif, jealousy, anger, quarrels (don't be angery), dissensions, factions, envy, drunkness, arousing, and things like these. I am warning you, as I warned you before: Those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

You are in fact if I am not mistaken engaging in a partisan quarral which according to your verses above are a sin. Perhaps you need to look at your own actions before you look onto the actions of other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hernyaccent

single black female addicted to retail
Dec 27, 2004
New York City
✟2,905.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Living Soul Dance said:

Looking up the defination of a cult religion is the first step you need to take befre pointing fingers.

Not all children are CHRISTIAN in the public school system! You don't want your children to read or watch Harry Potter because of your beliefs FINE. Others would encourage their children to read fictional and non fictional books and they have just as many rights as you do. If you want to keep your children away from this then I am sure their are hundreds of other books for them to read considering you have the right to express your religious freedom like any other person.

Upvote 0

robot23

Nov 22, 2004
✟620.00
Faith
Pagan

you don't even know what kind of "witchcraft" or "sorcery" these kids were doing, so how do you know if it is bad for christian kids to do?

Whether we want cult religious practices taught to our Christian Children!

these are your words
which you cannot back up

quote away
doesn't mean your arguement is logical

Upvote 0

Living Soul Dance

Sep 23, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Visit site
✟439.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
robot23 said:
you don't even know what kind of "witchcraft" or "sorcery" these kids were doing, so how do you know if it is bad for christian kids to do?

these are your words
which you cannot back up

quote away
doesn't mean your arguement is logical

You are all to angery in this thread, it must be the witchcraft! :pray:

Don't bother talking to me anymore, cause "I'm out!"

But, before I go... I will pray for your children. :crosseo:

Peace!

Upvote 0