Should Harry Potter be used in the classroom?

Should Harry Potter books be used in the classroom?

• Yes, I believe Harry Potter should be used in the classroom

• No, I do not believe Harry Potter should be used in the classroom

• I live in the U.S.

• I live out of the country

Results are only viewable after voting.

Star_Pixels

Nov 24, 2004
Around
✟8,082.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
PamH said:
As Christians, do you feel Harry Potter should be used in the classroom and why or why not? Also, what part of the country or the world are you from? I am a Christian college student writing a paper on the use of Harry Potter in the classroom.

Thanks for your help.
I'm kinda/sorta not a Christian, but I can tell you that I don't think Harry Potter should be used in the classroom.

It's not a classic, it isn't really outstanding in any way other than being the most addictive children's book yet, and whether or not a lot of people care to admit it, there is a religious core. As we all know, Religion was banned from the classrooms, so all religions should be left for the hallways, lunchrooms, and homes.

Upvote 0

Daegor

Sep 1, 2004
London
✟573.00
Faith
Pagan
PamH said:
As Christians, do you feel Harry Potter should be used in the classroom and why or why not? Also, what part of the country or the world are you from? I am a Christian college student writing a paper on the use of Harry Potter in the classroom.

Thanks for your help.
Harry Potter is clearly a thinly disguised satanic book designed to lure impressionable young children away from God and into the practice of witchcraft.

So I think it should definately be allowed in class.

Upvote 0

aimejl

Jan 22, 2004
Owensboro, KY
✟2,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Harry Potter is clearly a thinly disguised satanic book designed to lure impressionable young children away from God and into the practice of witchcraft.
I agree and I think it should not be taught in school no matter the reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ananel

Half-mad apologist
Apr 24, 2004
✟16,649.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Others
Star_Pixels said:
I'm kinda/sorta not a Christian, but I can tell you that I don't think Harry Potter should be used in the classroom.

It's not a classic, it isn't really outstanding in any way other than being the most addictive children's book yet, and whether or not a lot of people care to admit it, there is a religious core. As we all know, Religion was banned from the classrooms, so all religions should be left for the hallways, lunchrooms, and homes.
The latter point should be considered carefully, Star. By that token, one has no business reading the greek myths in world lit. They, too, have a religious core as you might recall, and with the growth of the reconstrucntionist religions, it's an active one at that.

I will, however, agree that the series isn't appropriate for classroom teaching. They haven't had the staying power of a true classic yet. While a good basic primer on writing and grammar and the usage of the english language, I would say they are more appropriate for book club offerings, not in-class assignments.

As to satanic elements, folks, don't take the wiccans who love this series too seriously (and that happens to include Rowlings ravings sometimes). Take this from someone who actually has done a little research into occultic practices: Aside from the potential line that it kiddiefies occult practice, making it seem more palatable to youth (something that should be countered easily by good, involved parenting [the horror! Parents actually involved in their children's lives!]), there is little credence to it being called satanic. It uses little to nothing of 'proper' occultic tradition. It just makes use of generic fantasy archetypes of wizards. There's nothing technical in it, and your kids won't actually be learning evil spells.

Anyone trying to seriously learn spells from a Harry Potter book is an idiot. I know it's rude to say it that way, and I'm sure that people dissaprove of me being so judgmental, but I'm not taking that back. If we're going to consider raving nutters like Aleister Crowley to be true magi, then Harry Potter is the most limp, insipid hack job the field has seen since the "Teen Witch Kit" hit the shelves of a Barnes & Noble.

The books are metaphysically harmless.

Upvote 0

Rae

Pro-Marriage. All marriage.
Aug 31, 2002
Somewhere out there...
Visit site
✟25,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
do you feel Harry Potter should be used in the classroom and why or why not?
Sure, why not? Kids already like reading the books, so they can be used to stimulate and teach reading and English skills (which most people desperately need...just take a look at most teen chats out there and tell me the kids there don't need additional English classes). It's just updated British myth and folklore, with a healthy dose of bad Latin to boot, and no more harmful than the Narnia series, another series by a Christian British author like Rowling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

JustJack!

I agree and I think it should not be taught in school no matter the reason.

I'm impartial. But I would have a problem with them banning the book just because some ppl think it's Satanic.

It's a series of books and movies about magical kids. It has no graphical violence in it, unlike most of todays new games. It has no explicit sexuality in it, unlike most of todays tv shows.

Out of curiousity, how do you feel about the LotR trilogy? It involves the practice of magic. Is this an evil, occultish attempt to corrupt our nations youth as well?

Personally, I think that would be a much better choice than Harry Potter.

Upvote 0

Star_Pixels

Nov 24, 2004
Around
✟8,082.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ananel said:
The latter point should be considered carefully, Star. By that token, one has no business reading the greek myths in world lit. They, too, have a religious core as you might recall, and with the growth of the reconstrucntionist religions, it's an active one at that.
If it's taught in a special class, religion should be allowed. But they want to use Harry Potter in an English class, despite it's flaws in the grammar and the fact that it doesn't give justice to Mark Twain, who should be read in Rowling's place.

I don't think religion ought to be taught outside of a special class designed specifically for religions.

As to satanic elements, folks, don't take the wiccans who love this series too seriously (and that happens to include Rowlings ravings sometimes). Take this from someone who actually has done a little research into occultic practices: Aside from the potential line that it kiddiefies occult practice, making it seem more palatable to youth (something that should be countered easily by good, involved parenting [the horror! Parents actually involved in their children's lives!]), there is little credence to it being called satanic. It uses little to nothing of 'proper' occultic tradition. It just makes use of generic fantasy archetypes of wizards. There's nothing technical in it, and your kids won't actually be learning evil spells.
Wizards, yes, but it has true occultic rituals (the brooms, the sacrifices, the mutilation; lord Voldemort is very specific), and it has very occultic mystical creatures, including the spirits that roam the hallways.

It also has proper wand measuring system as well as selective system, four houses = four elements, part of the Wicca rituals of magick and elementals. It has dark and white magick, and several small things, such as the Philosopher's Stone, are the core basis behind Wicca.

So even though Harry Potter is a fantasy-based wizard, Hermoine is very Wicca-like and several of the books points are very realistic in the realm of the magickal.

Rowling did her research, if she wasn't dabbling in it herself.

Anyone trying to seriously learn spells from a Harry Potter book is an idiot. I know it's rude to say it that way, and I'm sure that people dissaprove of me being so judgmental, but I'm not taking that back. If we're going to consider raving nutters like Aleister Crowley to be true magi, then Harry Potter is the most limp, insipid hack job the field has seen since the "Teen Witch Kit" hit the shelves of a Barnes & Noble.
Ah, but I've met many a great children who will read the false spells and go, "I wonder if that could work" and then do their research on real spells.

I've been hexed three times by some elementary grade Harry Potter fanatic who got mad because I said the books were "a great starting point".

And all things considering, do you know the stories of Veggietales?

Well, Veggietales is a children's franchise designed to lure children into Christianity. It has bouncy fun vegetables who play multiple roles in modernized or childrenized versions of the bible stories, such as Larry the Cucumber playing a silly, ditzy Joshua and a ping-pong playing, cheeze-curl loving Pirate who throws Jonah off the deck (and saves his rubber floatie).

These aren't the real bible stories. Most of them aren't even based off of bible stories, such as I Can Be Your Friend and The Rumor Weed. But they still have biblical principles, Christian morals, and teach, very blatantly, what a Christian is.

I hope you can see what I'm getting at.

JustJack! said:
Out of curiousity, how do you feel about the LotR trilogy? It involves the practice of magic. Is this an evil, occultish attempt to corrupt our nations youth as well?
A difference between Harry Potter and LOTR, Lord of the Rings doesn't show people how spells could be cast. Gandalf lifts his wand, says some mumbo-jumbo, and fire comes out.

Harry Potter actually teaches how to work your wand, how to make potions (although a lot of that is just made-up plants/chemicals/stuff substituting the real stuff), which spells are black and which ones are good; what makes magick Dark or Light, how to do curses and hexes (with some mumbo jumbo, but Gandalf never cuts off a body part), and yadda yadda.

Plus that, and Gandalf's form of magic is more or less the very same Moses used, and the Lord of the Rings story is Harry Potter done Christian style, not Wicca.

Upvote 0

Rae

Pro-Marriage. All marriage.
Aug 31, 2002
Somewhere out there...
Visit site
✟25,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Rowling did her research, if she wasn't dabbling in it herself.
No, actually, she didn't. She is a Christian who didn't know there was a religion of witchcraft until Christians in the United States started protesting her books. She lifted much of what she used from English folklore and myth. The fact that her books superficially, and only superficially, resemble Paganism merely shows that many Pagans also draw from her sources.

I'm amazed I have to tell you this.

Upvote 0

Star_Pixels

Nov 24, 2004
Around
✟8,082.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rae said:
No, actually, she didn't.
Then why did she admit she did research? Why did she name a character in her book after the first man to set forth the Wicca belief? Why did she named Harry Potter potter, since the mother Goddess created mankind from clay? How did she know what wand size to use? How did she know all those little bitty things that many Christians overlook?

Remember the list Harry was given for his first year in Hogwarts? Everything on that is asked of new Wicca's, and, in fact, found on many Wicca alter's because they're part of the spell casting ceremonies.

Looking up mythology and folklore (and not Witchcraft), how are you supposed to know which way the broom goes? How long the wand should be? What size cauldren you need?

Those are very specific details that require only research into actual Witchcraft to find.

Mythology or not, there are too many small details in Harry Potter for her to not have done her research.

And, BTW, Rowling actually admitted to looking into Wicca on her radio show. Not only that, but Christian know there is a Witchcraft religion. "Suffer not a witch to live", remember?

And I'm going to quote you now as the conclusion to my little rant.

I'm amazed I have to tell you this.

Upvote 0