Should Christians play violent video games?

Should Christians Play violent video games?

• Yes after all its just a game

• Yes but not too excess

• No there are more worthwhile games out there

• Absoulutely not

Results are only viewable after voting.

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TerraSin said:
Yes, because we really need another one of these threads. The search button comes very in handy, try it out and find one of the 4billion threads we have on this topic already. kthx.

CJ

The tongue is a deadly weapon.

do you really think it's wise to use that weapon against your brother?

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No one *should* play any video games. The question should be is it acceptable for Christians to play violent video games and I would say that depends on the person. If anything leads us to sin, it is wrong, but what is sinful for one may not be sinful for another. If I drink a beer it is not a sin, but if an alcoholic drinks a beer, it is a sin. If someone knows that playing Counter Strike sends him into an angry rage, then he should not play it.

BTW, I stopped playing CS because I decided it was making me a bad person....maybe my ego was just bruised because I wasn't as good as I was at 18 anymore and kept getting beaten by 13 year olds who still sang soprano.

Nothing more humbling than hearing a screechy high pitched voice coming out of your computer going "Haha you got pwn3d, n00b!"

Upvote 0

willard3

Professional accomplice
Dec 18, 2005
✟10,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dracil said:
Should Christians play non-violent games like Barbie's Horse Adventures?
I don't see why not. If you just phrased the question wrong and really meant "should Christians only play non-violent games" then I'd say no.

Lignoba said:
Doom? whats wrong with going to hell and killing one of the more powerful subjects of Satan?
Some people get antsy any time Hell is mentioned. Sure, it probably should get you a little nervous, but if you're saved, why should you worry about hell? (I know that sounds like "be a sinner and sin on bravely", but that's not what I meant.)

Upvote 0

MidnightCandel777

Some Mountains Are Scaled. Others Are Slain.
Mar 22, 2006
Somewhere between here and there...
✟2,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
HELLO? DOOM IS FULL OF PENTOGRAMS AND DEMONS!!!!!! not to mention they crucify people to walls. I used to play it all the time, but now I tend to play more sci-fi games like Advent Rising .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like I said in the other post. Nothing wrong with violent games...but it depends on the person. The Bible says that a sin is also something that goes against your own heart. If I am weak-minded and easily influenced by something like a video game...then playing one is a sin.

However, i've been playing them since I was VERY young and it hasn't effected me at all. I used to be harassed all throug my years in school, but I never ONCE thought of shooting anyone. :p It's fake. Real blood still freaks me out, game blood doesn't bother me at all...because I know what's real and what's not.

Upvote 0

willard3

Professional accomplice
Dec 18, 2005
✟10,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MidnightCandel777 said:
HELLO? DOOM IS FULL OF PENTOGRAMS AND DEMONS!!!!!! not to mention they crucify people to walls. I used to play it all the time, but now I tend to play more sci-fi games like Advent Rising .

And you're the person who eradicates them all. That makes you the good guy.
We're trying to see previously slandered and denounced games as having some good qualities. Can't we see the light of God in everything? Please don't treat us as stupid.

Upvote 0

ffman

Jul 23, 2005
✟690.00
Faith
Christian
I said "not to an excess". As in should - I don't mean every Christian needs to play violent games (I meant it in more of a context of 'is it ok'). I play violent video games, and it has no effect on my personality. I try to avoid games that use in the Lord's name in vain - that's why I play GTA no more. But, I still play first-person shooters and RPGs all the time.

Upvote 0

FamilyFriendlyGaming

Jul 30, 2005
✟9,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
ffman,

How do you know it has no effect on your personality? Are you the same today, yesterday, and tomorrow? What things have changed your personality? Does not playing them effect your personality?

If they have no effect on you whatsoever, why play them at all?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I play video games. I play them a LOT (usually RPGs). But if anything, I am better for it. There is something to be said for a game that makes you think. If a character says or does something that is wrong, it gives you a chance to think why this is wrong. It brings it to your attention and lets you think about it.

Sure, none of the games I play are perfect--each of them have their issues with the spiritual world and relationships and things like that. But what matters isn't the violence or the demons that come with the game, it's the core messages that the game is trying to get across. In all the games I've played, the things that were promoted were family, forgiveness, honesty, ect. Communicating with dead people is just a secondary part of the story that is used in a fantasy setting.

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No, we should all play the Beach Volleyball version of DoA, because that doesn't have any violence!

Where does the Bible condemn violence, anyway? Is it anywhere near the part that commands the Jews to kill all the people in the Promised Land? Or the passage where Elijah killed all the prophets of Baal?

Hmmm, is DooM ok, if you consider the imps to be prophets of Baal?

Upvote 0

PlainGames

May 3, 2006
Visit site
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
FamilyFriendlyGaming said:
ffman,

How do you know it has no effect on your personality? Are you the same today, yesterday, and tomorrow? What things have changed your personality? Does not playing them effect your personality?

If they have no effect on you whatsoever, why play them at all?
FFG, I have to agree with ffman on this. I play violent games a lot, as I review games for a living, and I can't see any measurable or discernible change in my life that can be even somewhat attributed to violence in video gmes. Violence as a whole is not evil (unless you'd like to call the conquering Christ at the end of the age evil). Violence is a means to an end, and it is one that can be used properly or improperly. It is the way in which one uses violence that affects the person, not the violence itself.

So, while you did not technically say that the violence was having an effect on him and he was just too foolish to see it (although it was obviously implied), your implication leads to a blanket statement that cannot be proven, and is not even truly arguable at all, save the fact that one would have to prove a negative (that violence in games does not affect them) to argue with you. Think a bit (and do a little research and prayer) before making judgements on the effects of violence in games.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Video games are just the latest scapegoat society woes were blamed on rock , then you had role playing games, then to much sex & violence in movies, and now violent video games here is question for you guys what do you think will be the next scapegoat.

Upvote 0