Should Christians play violent video games?

Should Christians Play violent video games?

• Yes after all its just a game

• Yes but not too excess

• No there are more worthwhile games out there

• Absoulutely not

Results are only viewable after voting.

Michael Vichiola

May 11, 2019
WInsted
✟21,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Should christians play video games that are violent in nature such as Grand Theft Auto and Doom?
Biblically speaking, Although games like the ones you mentioned are set in a fictional setting; the content in the games are without a doubt out of the question. GTA is one that Christians should avoid. But remember Philippians 4:8 where Paul says, "Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true. whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable. If anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think of such things." So based on this verse, Paul says whatever activity, movie, videogame, has good intentions, to think of such things. But whatever the game/activity is, we need to be able to control ourselves. Jesus says in Matthew, "If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away..." So for one think about Philippians 4:8 before you go and play or do any activity. But if its causing you to lash out in rage or think negative thoughts in your head, stop playing it and do something else.

Hope this helps (Thank God first)

Upvote 0

Joshua S

Nov 23, 2018
Dunedin
✟14,039.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a gamer who has played many games ranging from arcade type games to modern day games. (Only 19, I'm a young but old gamer, lol) I've racked up countless hours gaming and to be honest I probably should've used that time wiser but nevertheless I can't reverse the past.

Anyways, as a member of NZ eSports Federation as well as an active gamer, I will say that in my opinion it really depends. If the game is causing you to feel like sinning or wanting to sin then yes, in a way it is affecting you and God might not be happy that you're playing a game that will eventually lead to you sinning. For example, someone that is a Christian might suddenly turn dark and want to do a real life GTA. (Highly unlikely but still possible)

If you are able to know that a game is a game and that it is not real and you know that it won't affect your relationship with God and you feel that God wouldn't be upset with you if you played that game then by all means, I don't think you'd be sinning.

Because we are determining whether violent games is a sin or not, there is no part of the bible that says, "Violent Gaming is Wrong." as obviously gaming didn't exist then. So you must find parts of the bible that speak God's Commandments and relate them to the game you're playing. For example, obviously if God said, "Do not commit murder." this would mean a human killing a human in real life. If you're killing a virtual avatar, it's not a sin but if you gain a mindset to kill a human based on killing an avatar, then it'll definitely become a sin. (Again, you'd have to be mentally unwell or just a really disturbed person to do such a thing as I personally don't believe games make people violent because if they did, this world would've ended years ago)

Upvote 0

Trotux

Sep 1, 2019
Hagfors
✟15,201.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I grew up with violent video games and have a couple of nostalgic memories of them, I preferred Co-Operative shooters against AI entities. Counter-Strike 1.1 WON with Pod-Bot, Battlefield 2, Half-Life 1, Left 4 Dead and Sven Coop but after becoming a christian I felt an increasing amount of being disturbed by the unnecessary images of gore and chaos I enjoyed causing.

I did not lose much by stopping playing these games, I had a couple of acquintances I kind of lost.

It's worth it to stop playing these games.

a couple of testimonies

Upvote 0