Should Christians play Dungeons and Dragons?

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Dms1972 in my experience playing role playing games a good 40 years the biggest danger to the Christian Faith is not any kind of occult theme in role playing games but rather the substandard Faith professed by many "Christians", as I said in an earlier thread I posted a few months back.

Salvationism, Christianity as an ideology

I've been working on doing some kind of web series on the theme of Christianity as a "Journey of Faith". On that general theme, the first topic scheduled to be covered revolves around some unhappy experiences attending some Christian parochial schools. Looking back, I believe that some Christians see their faith as a kind of ideology, essentially an ideology that saves their soul via professing(or knowing) the right doctrine about salvation, works etc. at the time of death, but its one that sort of allows them to something of a misanthrope, or Pharisee providing they avoiding saying or perhaps doing certain things (based on very specific Bible passages) that might break their "salvation warranty" so to speak.

Again I agree with you up to a point, but I'd ask is it realistic to expect teenagers to have a fully mature and developed faith, sometimes their parents even christian ones do not have that sort of faith. I'll look up your post.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Tyler52

Aug 11, 2019
Attica
✟29,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Again I agree with you up to a point, but I'd ask is it realistic to expect teenagers to have a fully mature and developed faith, sometimes their parents even christian ones do not have that sort of faith. I'll look up your post.

No, I know that my faith wasn't mature then, and my faith is still maturing (I'm only 20) but, my point still is that the demons can't force us to do anything, rather we do what our desire leads us to. Do you agree with that?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Oh my comment wasn't about teenagers, it was rather about the adults that teach them. In my early life, I had a lot of disillusionment with Christianity. I became an closet Agnostic around age 17-22. I briefly dabbled in the occult for three months or so but didn't find anything in it around age 17. In my personal life, I had a lot of issues with theodicy and was looking for some kind of self help with problems in school and later when it came to girls and dating.

My issues were really around whether or not their was any truth in Christianity. I attended a private parochial school (Southern Baptist) that could be very punitive. I had some eye problems, eye sight, coordination, lazy eye etc. that impacted me at times. And I think I had some undiagnosed learning disabilities as well. Anyway a number of times I was punished with corporal punishment swats for academic problems that were directly related to my eye and other problems. And that sort of thing caused me to wonder if all the talk about "Agape Love" that was mentioned was really just an empty slogan. And that likewise made me wonder about the rest.

And there were other things. I was raised a conservative Lutheran taught Cessionism although I don't believe that is an official Lutheran teachings but something that was popular with American Lutheran Evangelicals. When it came to prayer their often wasn't a lot of expectation that it might help you any serious way. Prayer was encouraged and seen as beneficial, but there seemed like the attitude was mostly "God helps those who help themselves". And it pretty much seemed when you ran into problems it was always you having to dig yourself out of those things with your own blood and sweat.

Anyway by late high school I was fed up with things and decided that I was pretty much on my own when it came to solving my life's problems which by that time were really all consuming. Anyway rather than trying to blame things on D&D (which I originally ran across at the much younger and impressionable age of puberty, age 12.5) I think it is much better to place the blame where it belongs on having a deficient Faith that is preached and exemplified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to make this as simple and concise as possible.

1.) Jesus Christs ressrection is a Historical Fact: Jesus before Pilate, a monograph of the crucifixion, including the reports, letters and acts of pontius Pilate concerning the trial and crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth--

second can a Christian go to a satanic synagogue and call themselves a Christian, No.

invocation is defined as: any statement that invokes a demon contextually defined as summoning a demon.
evocation is defined as: any type of behaviour that attracts the interest of a demon that is satanic or evil. cursing and hating a person evokes the interest of demons who become curious as to whether such behaviour suggests an interest in them.

dungeons and dragons is as are all games and video games are, satanic. if the games are satanic they attract the interest of demons.
The Bible makes it clear that rebellion is as sinful as the sin of witchraft, so rebellion evokes demons.

it's obvious you have no general concept of demons. once a demon is evoked it must be forced to leave. there is no such thing as legal rights, your boyfriend has simply, by playing something satanic games caught the interest of demons.these games are what demons are interested in. rather than looking down on him you should correct the behaviour (if you are a Christian) and tell him to stop. demons can possess the body because of the way Jesus Christ created the body for his Holy Spirit to live in. because your boyfriend's playing he's probably already possessed.

demons are vampiric Phyllis, they subsist of of a human host and feel at "home" with those who do anything satanic at all.

if he's playing , and he said anything as the game dungeons and dragons requires you say certain phrases he's screwed.

you should evaluate whether he's interested in Jesus Christ because he's definitely not a Christian at this point, and should determine whether or not he's a satanist claiming to be a christian, satanists do that a lot.

the games demonic and derived from the qlippoth.

The Bible states in revelation 17:11 satan is comprised of seven demons. the seven demons that comprise satan are mentioned in the game dungeons and dragons, one being a succubus, asmodeus.

a succubus is a a vampiric spirit that is parisitological and if your boyfriend happened to invoke one of the demons that comprise satan, he's going to have a miserable life.

these "games" are created by witch's with the intent that a person practices witchraft, it's why witchraft is incorporated into the aspects of role playing and determines that the "game" is not a game.

if he continues to play the demons are going to kill him. suicides, homocides, intrusive thoughts and other mental illnesses are related to demonic possession.
Video games? even my solitaire game?

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I was just wondering if it was considered satanic or witchcraft for a Christian to play D&D. My Christian boyfriend plays it and some of the characters he describes are pretty creepy. He even skips church to play it most of the time. He says it's not evil and I want to believe him, because he is a Christian, but I need other opinions on this. I'm curious.
No. Not everyone who says they are Christian, are :)

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My only thoughts don't have a lot to do with your post. I see the other side of this Christian hand wringing over the cause of the month. My beef is the Christian Cultural Ghetto. Christianianese Culture etc. Some Christians get so caught up on the purity aspects of things that they become like the NT Pharisees and their fear of the gentiles. They basically were afraid of ghetting some kind of ritual purity kuties from eating and associating with gentiles. And I see much the same thing from many Christian groups.

I also think this actually negatively impacts our ability to witness to the other side. The arts and culture are a way of transmitting ideas etc. and it helps to be able to relate to others through this kind of media. I was greatly impressed how many anti-Christian friends who played D&D responded positively to the latent Christian themes of the Lord of the Rings movies etc. Anyway their is a great book that deals with this topic called "Finding Common Ground.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037B6R10/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Although I do have concerns about D and D, I have also seen the purity kooties thing too

I have been told.the following things are evil by Christians

Wedding rings
Mental health treatment
all Psychology even the stuff that helps
Women voting
Women working
Women's trousers
All TV even nature of historical do industries
Theatre
Opera
Ballet
Acting

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dms1972 in my experience playing role playing games a good 40 years the biggest danger to the Christian Faith is not any kind of occult theme in role playing games but rather the substandard Faith professed by many "Christians", as I said in an earlier thread I posted a few months back.

Salvationism, Christianity as an ideology

I've been working on doing some kind of web series on the theme of Christianity as a "Journey of Faith". On that general theme, the first topic scheduled to be covered revolves around some unhappy experiences attending some Christian parochial schools. Looking back, I believe that some Christians see their faith as a kind of ideology, essentially an ideology that saves their soul via professing(or knowing) the right doctrine about salvation, works etc. at the time of death, but its one that sort of allows them to something of a misanthrope, or Pharisee providing they avoiding saying or perhaps doing certain things (based on very specific Bible passages) that might break their "salvation warranty" so to speak.

I agree.

Salvation is trusting that the atonement on the cross.is enough to save us and a relationship with Jesus our Lord.and saviour.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Although I do have concerns about D and D, I have also seen the purity kooties thing too

Wedding rings
Mental health treatment
Women voting
Women working
Women's trousers
Theatre
Opera
Ballet
Acting

Christian "purity culture" is the worst!

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christian "purity culture" is the worst!

I have known Christians who won't eat boxes of Black Magic chocolates because of the name... Or in the 1980s wouldn't buy Clarks Magic Steps shoes for their child because of the name magic

it is crazy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to drive the thread too far off topic but I was wondering, if it is wrong or harmful to play D and D, where do we draw the line?

Is it ok for a Christian actor/opera singer to play the part of a murderer or adulterer even if the play/opera isn't one which glorifies those things but shows these things have had consequences? Obviously i can understand a Christian actor turning down a part in a play that promotes evil

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just from what little you share, I can tell you that it IS evil. Your infatuation or love for this boy is blinded you to this. You must love and obey God, first, above ALL humans. If not you will never know what true love is.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Abstain or stay away from all kinds, forms, or appearances of evil. 1 Thes 5:22

Do not be misled or deceived: “Bad or evil company corrupts good character or morals.” 1 Cor 15:33

Birds of a feather flock together. "People of similar character, background, or taste tend to congregate or associate with one another." from Oxford definitions. In light of our duty to renew and transform our minds to that of a holy God "which is our reasonable service" (Ro 12:1-2) we should be desiring NOT to hang around our old nature ways or anything not clearly approved of God, and ESPECIALLY NOT anything with death and destruction for vain glory and hate and vengeance and anything outright labeled or associated with evil. Limited contact in super fiscal ways may be appropriate in non-evil venues or non-evil leading venues and environments in order to advance the Gospel but only temporarily as we are now citizens of heaven and new creations in CHRIST, justified and made righteous through Christ. We are supposed to be light and salt, NOT darkness and bitterness. Darkness hates the light, make no mistake about that, do not be deceived. The second a light thinks that it is powerful enough in itself to stave off the darkness, is the second that the Deceiver has won the battle and the light's power to expose evil will be quenched with compromise and pride and eventually be lost in and part of the darkness.

• Winner
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Wedding rings
Mental health treatment
Women voting
Women working
Women's trousers
Theatre
Opera
Ballet
Acting
Don't forget
Makeup.
Mixed Fabrics.
Computers / Internet
Modern Music (All Types)
GMO Foods
Holidays & Birthdays
And more.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I'm looking around my living room and I can see more:

Television (demons could jump out of the screen at you)
Exercise balls (physical temptation)
Game consoles (demons could jump out of the box when you turn them on)
Hamper in the shape of a black cats head (cats and all animals are demonic spirits)
Electric guitar (demons exist in electric current and music is also satanic)
Roomba vacuums (a demon is what mobilizes it to clean your house for nefarious purpose)
Spiders (spiders are demonic spirits)
Fireplaces (demons like to jump down chimneys and get you)
5-string banjos (five is a demonic number because it's six minus one and music is demonic)
Bamboo Birdcage (minus bird) (Birds are demonic spirits and an empty bird cage welcomes demons into your house)
Indoor decorative fountains (inspires demonic meditation)
Floor cushions (also inspires demonic meditation)
Books (unless KJV bibles and then it's iffy) (Books harbor trillions of demons)
Dumbbells (Exercise provokes spiritual temptation)
Teapots (Both demons and doormice reside in teapots)
Flower vases (Demons often hide beneath flower petals just waiting for the unwary to come closer and thus vases welcome demons into your house)
Sofa cushions with animal prints (You never know what evil spirits may be hiding beneath the cushions and of course animals are demonic spirits)
Rainbow craft carts (Anything involving a rainbow that doesn't also include an ark with two giraffes looking out from the roof is the spiritual oppression of demons in the guise of a promise of God. Beware the deception! And of course crafting and art is demonic because it is a prideful imitation of God to create anything)
Floor mats (Enough said)
Empty wooden boxes (Welcomes demonic spirits to reside inside)

And more!

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I have known Christians who won't eat boxes of Black Magic chocolates because of the name... Or in the 1980s wouldn't buy Clarks Magic Steps shoes for their child because of the name magic

it is crazy
I won’t eat black magic chocs! :)
Am very anti-pagan-praise The Lord!

• Haha
Upvote 0