Should Christians play Dungeons and Dragons?

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was just wondering if it was considered satanic or witchcraft for a Christian to play D&D. My Christian boyfriend plays it and some of the characters he describes are pretty creepy. He even skips church to play it most of the time. He says it's not evil and I want to believe him, because he is a Christian, but I need other opinions on this. I'm curious.

• Useful
Reactions: Praisetheking

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd avoid it. A lot of folks will argue that it's ok, it's innocent, etc. But if it's rife with demonic and occult imagery, is proving to be kind of addictive, and is causing him to skip church, avoid it.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I was just wondering if it was considered satanic or witchcraft for a Christian to play D&D. My Christian boyfriend plays it and some of the characters he describes are pretty creepy. He even skips church to play it most of the time. He says it's not evil and I want to believe him, because he is a Christian, but I need other opinions on this. I'm curious.
As one who has been delivered from the occult, I would avoid it like the plague. It draws people into the demonic realm. I know the fascination. I know how addictive it can be. But it draws us away from God - as you plainly see.

I've quit playing seemingly innocent games because there is an element of the occult. It's not worth destroying your Christian life for.

Upvote 0

sportsfan

Dec 4, 2019
Cottonwood
✟20,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As one who has been delivered from the occult, I would avoid it like the plague. It draws people into the demonic realm. I know the fascination. I know how addictive it can be. But it draws us away from God - as you plainly see.

I've quit playing seemingly innocent games because there is an element of the occult. It's not worth destroying your Christian life for.
I saw a friendship destroyed over Dungeons and Dragons they would later get back together some but it definitely has a dark element to it. I always try to avoid the dark.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
there are Christians who consider paisley satanic.

The game became a favorite target for the religious right in the 80's and ended up having right wing groups spreading all sorts of fake stories about it and making claims about demonic possession and witchcraft.

D&D is just a very elaborate game of cops and robbers end of story

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I saw a friendship destroyed over Dungeons and Dragons they would later get back together some but it definitely has a dark element to it. I always try to avoid the dark.
Absolutely.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God isn't as concerned about what we have, as He is about WHAT HAS US. ANYTHING that tends to be "Addictive", or attracts us to the point of obsession is a GOD to us, and thereby a violation of the First Commandment. Cigarettes were MY GOD for many years, and even as a Born-Again Christian. I couldn't get free of them, but through God's immediate, and persistent intercession in times of weakness, I've been free of 'em for 50 years. Radio control Aircraft was another "Obsession", that God had to break.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
there are Christians who consider paisley satanic.

The game became a favorite target for the religious right in the 80's and ended up having right wing groups spreading all sorts of fake stories about it

D&D is just a very elaborate game of cops and robbers end of story
Except it glorifies demons and leads people into the occult. Same with Harry Potter and such.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

No. Its only a game. Anyone who thinks it is dangerous are just superstitious and prefer to be paranoid over nothing. It has 0 power. Its just as dangerous as playing monopoly.

• Agree
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@baptistgirl21 , there are two parts to your question: medium & genre.

For Dungeons & Dragons,
  • Its medium is a role-playing game [RPG]. Basically, it is a complex board game. (The game of Life would be a rudimentary form.)
  • Its genre is "sword & sorcery." That is where the conflict with Christianity arises.
There are RPGs of other genres (like sci-fi) that do not have magic/occult elements. They are innocent in that regard.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely NOT.

I Thess 5:20-22 Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.

I messed with an Ouija Board when I was younger, thinking it was innocent & harmless. The tray that is pushed around with the fingers of two people moved by itself without either of us touching it. We asked several questions & it spelled out intelligible thjings. Then I asked the question, "Who is Jesus Christ?" It spelled out without us pushing it around, "Go to hell."

I burned the board & tray. Don't mess with anything having to do with any form of evil or have it in your house.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would seem to me that you already answered your own question. "He even skips church to play it most of the time."

Anything that pulls you away from assembling with the saints and worshipping the Lord is not something good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It would seem to me that you already answered your own question. "He even skips church to play it most of the time."

Anything that pulls you away from assembling with the saints and worshipping the Lord is not something good.

Ya but its not because there is any “demon magic” working. People have gain addictions to any single game and have skipped basic life responsibilities from church, work, and even their kids.

We may as well start calling Candy Crush and Farmville Satanic since it has taken people off going to church more than D&D ever has.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ya but its not because there is any “demon magic” working. People have gain addictions to any single game and have skipped basic life responsibilities from church, work, and even their kids.

We may as well start calling Candy Crush and Farmville Satanic since it has taken people off going to church more than D&D ever has.
Although I consider D&D to be harmless in and of itself, I can appreciate the concerns that many Christians have especially with regard to the spiritual and magical aspects of the game.
I believe this is one of those issues where we ought to respect our brothers and sisters in their personal convictions regarding doutful activities and even support them in their avoidance of it.
My bigger concern for the boyfriend is his attitude toward church attendance by allowing something else to take it's place.

Upvote 0