Should Christians avoid organic foods?

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My understanding is that the main reason for buying organic foods is that they are not contaminated with pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, etc.

.....you got one major one wrong, organic use far more and more toxic pesticides, cause you know...they can't use the actual ones that work. They are allowed to use pesticides, just has to be organic, which require more spraying to get the same effect, and higher concentrations.

Upvote 0

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
.....you got one major one wrong, organic use far more and more toxic pesticides, cause you know...they can't use the actual ones that work. They are allowed to use pesticides, just has to be organic, which require more spraying to get the same effect, and higher concentrations.
This must depend on the country in which you live. It is definitely not the case in the UK.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This must depend on the country in which you live. It is definitely not the case in the UK.
They are allowed to use modern effective pesticides and still keep the organic marketing gimmick logo over there?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Organic farming is less productive than conventional farming, requiring more land and labor for smaller yields. It also increases the cost of food substantially. Of course this is bad for the poor of the world who need more, and cheaper, food.

So, should Christians avoid organic foods in favor of conventionally produced foods?

Not for the reasons you gave. "More Labor" is a good thing for the poor who often are hired for farm labor.

• Agree
Reactions: AnnaDeborah
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some of those 'poor' make pretty good money, that they then send out of the country.

https://myfarmlife.com/life-on-the-...ve-immigrant-workers-and-their-critical-role/

An awesome idea.

Matthew 25:35
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

Proverbs 19:17
Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.

Proverbs 22:9
Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor.

Matthew 10:42 And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.”

Proverbs 28:27
Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.

Upvote 0

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They are allowed to use modern effective pesticides and still keep the organic marketing gimmick logo over there?

No. In the UK, there are very strict regulations on what can be used. The emphasis is on reducing pests and disease through good hygiene and cultural conditions, e.g. avoiding monocropping, growing local varieties that are more suited to the local climate, providing 'beetle banks', flower banks etc which encourage beneficial insects such as pollinators and pest predators, improving soil structure and fertility via natural means (crop rotation, 'green' manures (crops which are grown specifically to be ploughed into the ground to improve fertility and structure) plus a lot of manual labour - e.g. conventionally grown crops will be sprayed several times with a herbicide to kill weeds - organic crops rely on hoeing and hand weeding! A very limited number of treatments are available for use in extreme cases; these are less toxic than the chemicals used by conventional farming, and you have to demonstrate why using them was the last resort. Failing to comply with the very strict regulations will result in a loss of the farm's organic certification.

In the same way, routine medication of livestock is not permitted - the aim is to avoid illness through low stocking density and good animal husbandry. Animals requiring medication are either unable to be sold for meat or can only have their meat/milk used after a lengthy 'withdrawal' period.

I know NZ has (or at least had) an even stricter policy for organic meat, as I spent a few months working on an organic beef and sheep farm a few years back. I don't have any knowledge of organic regulations in other countries, except that overseas produce sold in the UK as organic must abide by UK regulations.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No. In the UK, there are very strict regulations on what can be used. The emphasis is on reducing pests and disease through good hygiene and cultural conditions, e.g. avoiding monocropping, growing local varieties that are more suited to the local climate, providing 'beetle banks', flower banks etc which encourage beneficial insects such as pollinators and pest predators, improving soil structure and fertility via natural means (crop rotation, 'green' manures (crops which are grown specifically to be ploughed into the ground to improve fertility and structure) plus a lot of manual labour - e.g. conventionally grown crops will be sprayed several times with a herbicide to kill weeds - organic crops rely on hoeing and hand weeding! A very limited number of treatments are available for use in extreme cases; these are less toxic than the chemicals used by conventional farming, and you have to demonstrate why using them was the last resort. Failing to comply with the very strict regulations will result in a loss of the farm's organic certification.

In the same way, routine medication of livestock is not permitted - the aim is to avoid illness through low stocking density and good animal husbandry. Animals requiring medication are either unable to be sold for meat or can only have their meat/milk used after a lengthy 'withdrawal' period.

I know NZ has (or at least had) an even stricter policy for organic meat, as I spent a few months working on an organic beef and sheep farm a few years back. I don't have any knowledge of organic regulations in other countries, except that overseas produce sold in the UK as organic must abide by UK regulations.

Thank you Sir Albert Howard and J.I. Rodale. :bow:

Upvote 0