USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Should a Christian's focus and energy be directed toward his or her perfection?

I'm not so sure we should strive for perfection. At least not in the way that some mean it.

Didn't the Apostle Paul (when Saul) strive for perfection?

Last edited:

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you strive for perfection, you strive to do God's will, there's no other perfection.Reading about Jesus we understand what it means to be perfect.Jesus was God's nature in human flesh, He showed us how can we be perfect, what we need to do, and more important, what it means to be perfect.

By the way, perfection without love is not perfection, love makes everything perfect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Should a Christin's focus and energy be directed toward his or her perfection?
I'm not so sure we should strive for perfection. At least not in the way that some mean it.
Striving for personal perfection is what got the Pharisees into trouble.

Listen to HIS spirit, do what He tells you to do, and let the "perfection" thing work itself out.

Reactions: A_Thinker
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I actually think strive isn't the best word either. 'Rest' might be better seeing as it is when we are resting in His peace that we serve others better and sin the least. Works come naturally from there

We are told to 'be holy because I am Holy.' 1 Peter 1:16 Not try really hard to get there. (We can't on our own efforts) Just 'be' it. Not step out of it possibly?

(Halleluyah!!! That was the answer to my struggles the last few days... Thank you for asking this question and I thank God for leading me here :) )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Be perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect. -- Matthew 5

Jesus gave us a command to strive for perfection, although it's been discussed in other threads that the attainable "perfection" commanded by Jesus is not the "perfection" that people have invented.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Be perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect. -- Matthew 5

Jesus gave us a command to strive for perfection, although it's been discussed in other threads that the attainable "perfection" commanded by Jesus is not the "perfection" that people have invented.
Not to strive for it. Be it. Then it takes an action to step out of it. You can be already there easily and walking in His Spirit you actually need to do something or neglect to do something to stop being perfect.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If you strive for perfection, you strive to do God's will, there's no other perfection.Reading about Jesus we understand what it means to be perfect.Jesus was God's nature in human flesh, He showed us how can we be perfect, what we need to do, and more important, what it means to be perfect.

By the way, perfection without love is not perfection, love makes everything perfect.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I actually think strive isn't the best word either. 'Rest' might be better seeing as it is when we are resting in His peace that we serve others better and sin the least. Works come naturally from there

We are told to 'be holy because I am Holy.' 1 Peter 1:16 Not try really hard to get there. (We can't on our own efforts) Just 'be' it. Not step out of it possibly?

(Halleluyah!!! That was the answer to my struggles the last few days... Thank you for asking this question and I thank God for leading me here :) )

That's what I'm here for. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We should strive to obey God and serve others. To strive for perfection means a focus other than God. Wasted energy, thoughts etc. Could possibly make an idol out of it.
I agree. Focus on yourself being perfect is bringing every thought and making it about yourself.

I tend to focus on the two most important commandments that Jesus left us with; to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul and to love your neighbor as yourself.

Jesus said that THIS fulfills ALL of the law and the prophets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not minimizing Paul but when Jesus speaks to you very loudly, audibly and then blinds you I think that is miraculous and I think most people would believe and change their life if they had a miracle happen to them.

Paul also had great guilt in that as Saul he was like the Pharisee who condemned Christ's people. Paul talks about his great guilt saying that he is the least of all the apostles.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I think that another thing has to be maybe put into perspective here and that to me is the Holy Spirit's teaching and how God teaches us.

The Holy Spirit is a loving teacher that gives us time to change things and brings about a 'change of mind and heart' so that our changes are lasting.

The people that are trying to be perfect usually are focused on themselves being and doing and not necessarily being changed by God, but more themselves. Which I am not saying is bad. But the greatest commandment is to love God and if you are that in fear, loving God with all your heart and soul is not happening to it's fullest degree. Perfect love casts out fear.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yes, Christian perfection is defined as loving God with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength and our neighbor as ourselves. If we're not on this road then we're probably not Christian to begin with, are we? We start on this road with faith, as a response to grace. We continue on it as per the Parable of the Talents, with more demanded from those who are given more, and those losing even what they have if they were to "bury" it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Actually because of new birth and the divine nature we have perfection. The problem is that we have imperfection as well, the two will struggle for control until the redemption of the purchased price, the translation of our bodies. Paul always strove for perfection:

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been perfected, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have laid hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize of God’s heavenly calling in Christ Jesus.… (Philipians 3:12-14)
What is that prize, that heavenly calling in Christ Jesus? Because that is what Paul called perfection and what he strove for, confessing that we have not attained or already been perfected.

If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Col. 3:1-4)
If things were perfect now, or even perfectible Paul would just be telling us how to be perfect. But perfection is in Christ, the Holy Spirit always directs our attention to Christ, who is in heaven along with the eternal life he has promised us. I don't know how to tell you to attain it but I do know where to find it, perfection is found in Christ.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, we are to "Be ye Perfect." Not try to be, or "become" perfect after doing this and that. It is a right-now command that is not accomplished via works.

Be ye Perfect.

Can you describe the perfect that you presently are?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We should try as hard as possible to keep God's commands. Nonetheless, sinless perfectionism is not obtainable in this life.

What is "sinless perfectionism" and where is that defined in scripture as what Jesus was talking about when He said, "Be ye perfect?"

Or when Paul said, "If you would be perfect..."

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you describe the perfect that you presently are?
If I describe it to you then I'd make you a believer.......and we already have enough of those. I want you to experience yourself. It's like a peace that passes all understanding....... understand? If you do then it is not what im talking about.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, we are to "Be ye Perfect." Not try to be, or "become" perfect after doing this and that. It is a right-now command that is not accomplished via works.

Be ye Perfect.
Jesus uses a very special word there, teleos, same word we get telescope from. The idea is the end to which things are directed. Ok so we are to be perfect even as Our Father in heaven. Well first we need God's divine attributes communicated to us by Grace through faith (Matt 5:48), we must be free of coveteousness (Matt 19:21), able to prove the perfect will of God( Rom. 12:2). United with the body of Christ in full stature and able to understand the meat of the word indicating difficult doctrinal issues (HEB 5:4). James tells us this requires patience like a farmer working diligently until harvest (James 1:4). That it comes as a gift from God (James 1:25), and that along the way we all stumble but if you be perfect in the sense the New Testament you must bridle the tongue and commit no offense with regards to what you say (james 3:2). The final use of the word is in Johns epistle that says perfect love casts out fear. This is the fear of man, we are always to maintain the righteous fear of God.

This dovetails nicely with the opening verses of Matthew 5 know as the Beatitudes. When John talks about casting out fear he is talking about persecution. Jesus ends the Beatitudes with when they persecute you for righteousness sake, jump and shout and leap for joy because they persecuted the prophets who were before you in the same way.

I know it sounds like a tall order to have the mind of Christ, never commit offense in what you say and never entertain coveteous or lustful desires. But yea, it's do able.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0