Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think AR-15s AK47s, Glock 17, Tec-9, and all of those high capacity magazines should be at least highly regulated.

Personally, I would like to see everything banned but revolvers and hunting rifles but that's not realistic. There are so many weapons out there already that it would be impossible to recall all of that weaponry.

I think we tend to pick apart the 2nd amendment not consider the part about "A well-regulated militia. Also when the amendment was made, they were using muskets.

While massive amounts of guns and ammo are creepy to me, we know that nobody can take over an armed population so there is that.

The only other thing is that the vast majority of illegal guns were purchased legally and were sold or stolen so tons of guns end up in the wrong hands.

I agree. We have put ourselves in a really complicated situation.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
No, I haven't. I've heard they're good for hogs, too, which can be a real danger and nuisance in groups.

Isn't the AR-15 basically a weapon for warfare? I could use a grenade for fishing (blast fishing) and bring in a pretty good haul, but that doesn't mean folks should have grenades.

I don't know. I'm not interested in shooting people, I feel confident that the arms I have are more than sufficient for food acquisition, so I'm not sure why I should support the legal possession of military style weapons.

By the by, I don't accept the slippery slope claim that if they outlaw AR-15s, the rest of our guns go, too. Informal fallacies are not my go-to reasoning tool. But I am interested in any well formed argument for why civilians should have military style weapons.
A single shot bolt action is "a military style weapon", technology is technology. The internet was designed and a "military" communications and intelligence weapon. Like firearms, it too was adapted for civilian usage. My AR was not fully automatic, rather it is self loading like these:
126908_10217879_is
Benelli-Montefeltro-20-Gauge_101333403_747_DDD361A900FAC576.jpg

Except, it just looks different; it functions the same. You load the magazine, you pull the trigger, they shoot.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My AR was not fully automatic, rather it is self loading like these

This, it seems to me, is the most significant point. How it looks isn't important. As far as technology goes, it's the technology to dispatch many human targets hefore an effective response can happen that seems problematic. What about large capacity magazines? Is that something civilians need?

I get that these technological aspects are useful, and perhaps there could be regulation to allow for certain uses, e.g. hog control?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A single shot bolt action is "a military style weapon", technology is technology. The internet was designed and a "military" communications and intelligence weapon. Like firearms, it too was adapted for civilian usage. My AR was not fully automatic, rather it is self loading like these:
126908_10217879_is
Benelli-Montefeltro-20-Gauge_101333403_747_DDD361A900FAC576.jpg

Except, it just looks different; it functions the same. You load the magazine, you pull the trigger, they shoot.
What is the maximum number of bullets that can be shot from these two guns without reloading?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Ruger, in the US, 100 in the drum magazine I think; in Canada, restricted to 10 by law, because the same mag can be used in a Pistol, and pistols are restricted to 10; in the shot gun, I think 5; with a mag extension 12 I think.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This, it seems to me, is the most significant point. How it looks isn't important. As far as technology goes, it's the technology to dispatch many human targets hefore an effective response can happen that seems problematic. What about large capacity magazines? Is that something civilians need?

I get that these technological aspects are useful, and perhaps there could be regulation to allow for certain uses, e.g. hog control?
In the eyes of our government, how it looks is more important. Because Russian and Chinese SKS have wooden stocks (even though they come with folding bayonets attached, and are also auto-loading), they are allowed; I have one, fun rifle, but too heavy for ease of use for hunting:

300px-Simonow_SKS_45_noBG.jpg

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
i like your response but i should have been more clear, no offence i loved what you said
but this was more for us Americans because of are new president if you're aware is president joe biden
and hes been trying to outlaw AR-15s and 100 round ammo magazines but still i would love to hear from people that don't live in the USA but that is were the forum is more pointed to also its cool how you built yours

this reply sounds really rude but i really don't know how to make it sound any better
Just sharing some history; Biden and Trudeau are clones of each other. You guys are in the same boat we were a few years back. Ours are now banned along with a bunch of other firearms (Pistols with barrels < 4.2"; pistols in .32 , with the exception of certain "target" pistols). The big question is what is next here, and where will it end in the US. Look at Australia and NZ, most of western Europe, Japan... It is unlikely that the bans will end with just the AR15 and the AK.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

No distinction is made for use. Interestingly, aboriginal Canadians are exempt from these bans; they continue to us the AR, AR variants and AKs and AK variants for hunting, and are allowed to do so.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, I haven't. I've heard they're good for hogs, too, which can be a real danger and nuisance in groups.

Isn't the AR-15 basically a weapon for warfare? I could use a grenade for fishing (blast fishing) and bring in a pretty good haul, but that doesn't mean folks should have grenades.

I don't know. I'm not interested in shooting people, I feel confident that the arms I have are more than sufficient for food acquisition, so I'm not sure why I should support the legal possession of military style weapons.

By the by, I don't accept the slippery slope claim that if they outlaw AR-15s, the rest of our guns go, too. Informal fallacies are not my go-to reasoning tool. But I am interested in any well formed argument for why civilians should have military style weapons.
Here's my basic stance:

SWAT teams allegedly are supposed to bring in the suspects alive every time, without killing or maiming anyone in the process, optimally. Yet, they are armed with MP5s, M4s, PSDs, and other weapons that I cannot legally acquire and train with as a private citizen. If they can enter my home with a firearm or a melee weapon, I should be able to acquire, train with, and defend my home with it too. Select-fire, barrel length, silencer, bludgeon, whatever.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BravoM

Jun 18, 2022
TN
✟2,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
what do you think
No.
It's a rifle. If you look at the history of rifles in particular you'll see they've existed long before the 2A and over time has been improved.
In fact, at one point there was a 5 shot with 5 rounds clipped together that was inserted and after the 5th, the clip was ejected.
There were machine guns before the 2A and though not common people did have canons.
To "bear arms" does not restrict us but limits government.
A rifle can be used for self-defense and hunting. More importantly against a tyrannical government.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.