Should a Christian study computer science?

Christ_inMe93

Aug 1, 2018
Houston
✟28,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am starting my prerequisites for nursing school this month and I am excited for this journey to become a nurse. however I keep getting this feeling that I should reconsider and maybe go back for my post-bacc in computer science (got my BS in May). I was wondering what do you guys think about a christian studying computer science? It seems silly when I type it out, but I've just been back and forth/on the fence about this field. I have prayed about it, but I need to be more patient and hear from God. I just wanted your biblical opinions on if you think I should avoid it or consider it.

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am starting my prerequisites for nursing school this month and I am excited for this journey to become a nurse. however I keep getting this feeling that I should reconsider and maybe go back for my post-bacc in computer science (got my BS in May). I was wondering what do you guys think about a christian studying computer science? It seems silly when I type it out, but I've just been back and forth/on the fence about this field. I have prayed about it, but I need to be more patient and hear from God. I just wanted your biblical opinions on if you think I should avoid it or consider it.
If you are delighting yourself in the LORD like Psalms 37:4 says then God has given you a desire. You should follow it.
Don't let all the nonChristians take over the field of computer science.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Let me get this straight. You're using software to type a message on a computer onto a Christian Forum developed by software and you're questioning whether Christians should study computer science. I'm at a loss as to what you think is sinful about computer science.

Upvote 0

megan_26

Sep 22, 2017
USA
✟44,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think being a Christian should deter you from computer science. I can't see why studying such a field would displease God. My advice to you is to pray. Mediate on God's word, ask him what you should do. If he's calling you to do computer science, then don't hesitate! Just remember that everything you do should glorify him. I'll be praying that the answer is revealed to you!

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,433.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Explain to me slowly why this would ever be a problem, because I don't get it.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Christ_inMe93

Aug 1, 2018
Houston
✟28,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think being a Christian should deter you from computer science. I can't see why studying such a field would displease God. My advice to you is to pray. Mediate on God's word, ask him what you should do. If he's calling you to do computer science, then don't hesitate! Just remember that everything you do should glorify him. I'll be praying that the answer is revealed to you!
Thank you!! I guess I was just thinking too much about it. Please pray for me! Thank you :)

Upvote 0

Christ_inMe93

Aug 1, 2018
Houston
✟28,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are delighting yourself in the LORD like Psalms 37:4 says then God has given you a desire. You should follow it.
Don't let all the nonChristians take over the field of computer science.
Thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: JakeyB123
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I got a degree in Computer Science.

It's cool ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

While thinking about your question, I came across this, most interesting, article about why Christians should study Computer Science. Maybe it will be a help to you~~~> https://cs.calvin.edu/static/documents/christian/Vocation2002.pdf

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am glad you shared your thoughts. I type out of love, but you seem to be waffling too much. Already with a degree and now starting in nursing and thinking about CS? I would ask for wisdom from God for your career path so that you can avoid spending unnecessary time and money on college. No condemnation for the past, but learn all you can about your options and make the best prayerful decision you can. Talk to others in both fields. Also search your heart for any reason that might be hindering your path. An example would be someone that is sabotaging their own career because they are afraid of success. May you find fullness in God's love and your career.

• Winner
Reactions: megan_26
Upvote 0

JakeyB123

Jul 10, 2018
bakersfield
✟12,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was thinking the same thing! <3 I want to get into computer science, programming, stuff like that but I just don't know God's calling for my life.

Upvote 0

Christ_inMe93

Aug 1, 2018
Houston
✟28,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was thinking the same thing! <3 I want to get into computer science, programming, stuff like that but I just don't know God's calling for my life.

Yes I know what you mean! Just keep praying and God will reveal it to you

• Agree
Reactions: JakeyB123
Upvote 0

Christ_inMe93

Aug 1, 2018
Houston
✟28,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am glad you shared your thoughts. I type out of love, but you seem to be waffling too much. Already with a degree and now starting in nursing and thinking about CS? I would ask for wisdom from God for your career path so that you can avoid spending unnecessary time and money on college. No condemnation for the past, but learn all you can about your options and make the best prayerful decision you can. Talk to others in both fields. Also search your heart for any reason that might be hindering your path. An example would be someone that is sabotaging their own career because they are afraid of success. May you find fullness in God's love and your career.
Thank you for your reply! My mother is an RN so she is always telling me about her experiences and I have a few friends who are nurses also. I just don’t know anyone who is a programmer or developer. It is just something that has always come back to my mind over time, and something that interests me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for your reply! My mother is an RN so she is always telling me about her experiences and I have a few friends who are nurses also. I just don’t know anyone who is a programmer or developer. It is just something that has always come back to my mind over time, and something that interests me

If it interests you, it's worth exploring.

Reactions: Christ_inMe93
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For all those contemplating different careers please explore electives when you are in college. Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple computer got his idea in a calligraphy course. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steve-jobs-death-apple-calligraphy-248900

Problems do arise when you try and switch majors after spending lots of time in one, or if you remain undecided too long. In some cases just finishing something is worthwhile. You can always go back and pick up classes or sometimes change fields when you do a Masters degree.

For Christ_inMe93 I hope you get to explore computer science. I don't know much about this discipline so by all means ask more questions in forums or threads to those that do. My understanding is that you can find lots of CS online courses, some even for free, and that certificates in different areas of computer science and experience are often more important than degrees. Nursing of course is a solid bet so I can only imagine what a tough decision it is. Though it is better to know now, many do switch careers and are very successful. So whatever you choose does not have to be final. Also, if you enjoy school and have the funds it is fine to switch when things become clearer. Still praying you have wisdom and can make an informed decision when needed.

Reactions: Christ_inMe93
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can still get into CS while you're waiting to hear from Him. The time is going to pass either way.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If you don't mind programming websites which will be using sex as tool to sell stuff or making games which use violence on animals for the sound effect then you can try it .
The age of making fun websites for clients or forums for small groups is long gone because most of people can set up server / forum themselfes nowdays and blogs are more popular than websites .
So you will end up working for some large company most likelly .

Upvote 0