Should A Christian Man Marry A Divorced Woman?

SimpleLiving2019

Nov 1, 2020
Washington
✟12,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You’re simply not able to grasp the nature of the one flesh covenant and the part that God plays in it

I do grasp it, and I do understand the point you are making. I don’t think it’s quite as easy to break it in God’s eyes as you may believe though. Your interpretation, taken strictly, that infidelity severs the one flesh covenant and releases the wife from being bound to her husband would make no place within a marriage for forgiveness of adultery. Your interpretation would pronounce it severed, even if the husband forgave his wife for infidelity. How do you address that issue?

Upvote 0

SimpleLiving2019

Nov 1, 2020
Washington
✟12,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Im beginning to think you have reading comprehension problems. Paul teaches in I Corinthians 7 that in the case of an unequally yoked marriage that it is the unbelieving spouse that must initiate the divorce.

You’re simply not able to grasp the nature of the one flesh covenant and the part that God plays in it.
It’s not reading comprehension issues, it is just easy enough in those verses to point to a wife who merely leaves you, deserts you, without divorcing you. Also a man could abandon a woman, without divorcing her (I believe people on this thread were pointing to these verses in that very case, where pagan husbands simply abandoned their Christian wives). What do you answer to these people, when an unbelieving spouse simply deserts you, but doesn’t have relations with anyone else?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think it’s quite as easy to break it in God’s eyes as you may believe though.
Given that according to Jesus the only action that can sever the one flesh covenant between two Believers is adultery, I don't think I consider the breaking of the covenant to be "easy".

Your interpretation, taken strictly, that infidelity severs the one flesh covenant and releases the wife from being bound to her husband would make no place within a marriage for forgiveness of adultery.
Reconciliation and Restoration should always be sought first, always. But there are times where it may not be possible. And when it's not, divorce, with remarriage is permitted. Again, it's permitted because there is an exception that permits it. You still don't seem to comprehend what an exception is.

What do you answer to these people, when an unbelieving spouse simply deserts you, but doesn’t have relations with anyone else?
Are you actually reading what I'm typing? I addressed this specific scenario. Well, Paul addresses this specific scenario, I just commented on it:

1Co 7:12 But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her.
1Co 7:13 And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.

1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

1Co 7:15 Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him[or her] leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.

1Co 7:16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

To summarize what Paul is saying: Paul is further expounding upon the mystery of marriage and showing us a little more about the nature of the one flesh covenant and God's role. Paul says that in the specific instance of an unequally yoked marriage, that if the unbelieving spouse initiates a divorce, that the believing spouse is "not under bondage", or in other words, is free to remarry.

Upvote 0

SimpleLiving2019

Nov 1, 2020
Washington
✟12,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
SL, fasting and prayer are sometimes needed. I'm not trying to put you down, but your rationale to many of us is incomprehensible. I won't say any more with you on the topic, as I would merely be repeating previous posts.
Shalom.
I will take your thoughts to me under advisement, and thank you for sharing with me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SimpleLiving2019

Nov 1, 2020
Washington
✟12,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Paul says that in the specific instance of an unequally yoked marriage, that if the unbelieving spouse initiates a divorce, that the believing spouse is "not under bondage", or in other words, is free to remarry.

My question was how you answer the case of where they just desert you, but don’t divorce you. You replied with an answer of if they do divorce you, and I had also inserted that they aren’t having relations with anyone else. Check out my post again (#322), I think you may have skimmed it. The last sentence was not a stand alone question, it involved the rest of the thoughts on the post as well, which equated “desert” you as leaving without divorcing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SimpleLiving2019

Nov 1, 2020
Washington
✟12,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Given that according to Jesus the only action that can sever the one flesh covenant between two Believers is adultery, I don't think I consider the breaking of the covenant to be "easy".

Reconciliation and Restoration should always be sought first, always. But there are times where it may not be possible. And when it's not, divorce, with remarriage is permitted. Again, it's permitted because there is an exception that permits it. You still don't seem to comprehend what an exception is.

I am glad you do consider reconciliation and restoration to be of primary importance. I also agree there are situations where divorce is not only justified, but necessary, when unrepentant or patterned sexual immorality is involved. Where we disagree on is when remarriage is permitted.

Historically, a woman who was divorced for adultery would be labeled as an adulteress. There is a high cost when she destroys her marriage covenant with her unfaithfulness.

Jesus basically forbids a man who divorces his wife for any reason other than sexual immorality from ever marrying again! Though I don’t even see an explicit prohibition on polygamy in the NT, but I do see that when a man shows himself to be a bad husband in the manner of divorce that Jesus completely strips him of the right to ever marry another woman again. What a high cost of sin. God hates divorce.

But you say the adulteress who destroyed her marriage covenant through unfaithfulness can marry another man?! Under New Testament instructions, as a saint?! This is literally the position you have been bearing out in all of your discourse with me. I think the New Testament scriptures say no. I also think the New Testament scriptures say the man who marries her commits adultery.

At some point, the church is going to have to start taking this matter seriously again, else we don’t judge ourselves and wait for Jesus’ return and hear his take on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am glad you do consider reconciliation and restoration to be of primary importance. I also agree there are situations where divorce is not only justified, but necessary, when unrepentant or patterned sexual immorality is involved. Where we disagree on is when remarriage is permitted.

Historically, a woman who was divorced for adultery would be labeled as an adulteress. There is a high cost when she destroys her marriage covenant with her unfaithfulness.

Jesus basically forbids a man who divorces his wife for any reason other than sexual immorality from ever marrying again! Though I don’t even see an explicit prohibition on polygamy in the NT, but I do see that when a man shows himself to be a bad husband in the manner of divorce that Jesus completely strips him of the right to ever marry another woman again. What a high cost of sin. God hates divorce.

But you say the adulteress who destroyed her marriage covenant through unfaithfulness can marry another man?! Under New Testament instructions, as a saint!? This is literally the position you have been bearing out in all of your discourse with me, not even Tony B would take up your position, he only fights for the wronged. I think the New Testament scriptures say no. I also think the New Testament scriptures say the man who marries her commits adultery.

At some point, the church is going to have to start taking this matter seriously again, else we don’t judge ourselves and wait for Jesus’ return and hear his take on it.
You have to bring all the passages together. Unfortunately you tend to proof-text here and proof-text there and have no wholistic understanding of what is being taught.

When you put it all together, it works.

Marriage was the first covenant that God established, it preceded the law. God's intention, as seen with Adam and Eve was for one man and one woman to come together and become one flesh. This covenant was designed to last for their entire lives, and was meant to be permanent.

A healthy marriage is the most intimate, deep, meaningful, expressive, and vulnerable relationship that two people can have this side of heaven. The physical, spiritual, and emotional bonding that comes with a healthy marriage is unrivaled.

Enter sin.

The most damaging thing that a marriage can experience is adultery. Adultery often destroys marriages. Even when forgiveness is achieved, restoration and reconciliation may not be.

Enter the exception clause.

Marriage between two believers is bound together through a covenant held in place by God. Jesus makes it clear that the only thing that can happen to sever the one flesh covenant between two Believers is adultery. If adultery occurs, and restoration is not possible, then the one flesh covenant is severed and the two may get a divorce. If this happens, they are no longer married on paper, and they are no longer married in the eyes of the Lord.

A person who is not married, can get married. Thus, through the exception clause, divorce with remarriage is possible under one specific instance.

Enter unequally yoked marriages.

Paul further expounds on the nature of the one flesh covenant by asserting that in the specific case of an unequally yoked marriage, that the Believing spouse should keep their commitment. God will honor their marriage, and they should not divorce. But sinners do what sinners do. And so if the unbelieving spouse seeks a divorce, then Paul declares the Believing spouse as no longer bound. Their covenant was not actually made before God, and bound by God. So in this case, if the non-Believer seeks a divorce, then in the eyes of the Lord, after the divorce, they are no longer married.

A person who is not married, can get married. So the Believing spouse is free to marry another Christian if they want.

Upvote 0

SimpleLiving2019

Nov 1, 2020
Washington
✟12,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You have to bring all the passages together. Unfortunately you tend to proof-text here and proof-text there and have no wholistic understanding of what is being taught.

When you put it all together, it works.

Marriage was the first covenant that God established, it preceded the law. God's intention, as seen with Adam and Eve was for one man and one woman to come together and become one flesh. This covenant was designed to last for their entire lives, and was meant to be permanent.

A healthy marriage is the most intimate, deep, meaningful, expressive, and vulnerable relationship that two people can have this side of heaven. The physical, spiritual, and emotional bonding that comes with a healthy marriage is unrivaled.

Enter sin.

The most damaging thing that a marriage can experience is adultery. Adultery often destroys marriages. Even when forgiveness is achieved, restoration and reconciliation may not be.

Enter the exception clause.

Marriage between two believers is bound together through a covenant held in place by God. Jesus makes it clear that the only thing that can happen to sever the one flesh covenant between two Believers is adultery. If adultery occurs, and restoration is not possible, then the one flesh covenant is severed and the two may get a divorce. If this happens, they are no longer married on paper, and they are no longer married in the eyes of the Lord.

A person who is not married, can get married. Thus, through the exception clause, divorce with remarriage is possible under one specific instance.

Enter unequally yoked marriages.

Paul further expounds on the nature of the one flesh covenant by asserting that in the specific case of an unequally yoked marriage, that the Believing spouse should keep their commitment. God will honor their marriage, and they should not divorce. But sinners do what sinners do. And so if the unbelieving spouse seeks a divorce, then Paul declares the Believing spouse as no longer bound. Their covenant was not actually made before God, and bound by God. So in this case, if the non-Believer seeks a divorce, then in the eyes of the Lord, after the divorce, they are no longer married.

A person who is not married, can get married. So the Believing spouse is free to marry another Christian if they want.
Well, I will tell you what I do see here. We disagree on the conditions that allow remarriage. I will also say that your take disagrees with many others here on the matter of remarriage. So it’s not like everyone here sees it one way and I am the oddball. You say the guilty party can get remarried, others here say the innocent party can get remarried, while the guilty must not, others here on the thread would agree with my take of not marrying a divorced woman period. Just pointing that out, people are coming to completely different conclusions, which are contradictory and cannot all be correct, you guys are not all in some grand agreement while I sit alone, but it isn’t trivial for sure, because with all of that conflicting information, it is assured that someone or more than one person here is defending a position that will ensnare men into committing adultery, which is pretty spooky to be honest, considering the New Testament warning to adulterers.

I will tell you this though, I have put this entire subject in prayer, and though I can’t claim Jesus has confirmed every point I have made on the thread, but on the matter of the thread topic specifically “Should a Christian man marry a divorced woman”, when I answer “No, if he does he commits adultery”, I feel on that point God is putting on my heart: Case Closed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem here is that the audience Jesus was speaking to was Jews under the Law at that time and the people who he was speaking to were those who instead of having a sinful marriage they just wanted to "trade up" for a new wife/husband.

Hello Sophrosyne. There does seem to be more going on in that passage than what first meets the eye, a context to take into account. The talk in Matthew 19:7-8 of what Moses allowed, points to this fact. For most of us our ancestors were not in the desert with Moses. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Hello Sophrosyne. There does seem to be more going on in that passage than what first meets the eye, a context to take into account. The talk in Matthew 19:7-8 of what Moses allowed, points to this fact. For most of us our ancestors were not in the desert with Moses. God Bless :)
I'm sure that was one example, in marriages that are polygamous things could get complicated and if a man got tired of a wife he could ignore that wife and "put her away" so to speak that wife would still legally be a wife but not cared for as one but rather like a horse in a stable while the man either went to his other wives or married an "upgrade" in his mind. Treating wives like a commodity (cattle, etc) is dishonoring a marriage. With a lot of wives between few husbands there could be an excess of women feeling unwanted and even get sexually frustrated wanting children and seeking other men to that effect.
During Jesus time I think for the most part polygamy was uncommon so it was 1 to 1 so obviously putting a wife out meant the man was not sleeping with anyone unless he committed adultery because he had no other wives and wasn't allowed to marry more and put the unwanted ones aside.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums