Wisconsin, United States of America
✟656,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When did I say the President has to comment on every news story across the country?

I specifically said this story deserves mention because it's not something that happens everyday in America. Treating it as such is incredibly offensive to all the people affected by it. This is a community that is still in large part recovering from a terrorist attack that at the time, Trump had no qualms about mentioning, tweeting about or using to push his agenda when he was campaigning.

But this is where you're incorrect. It does happen every day in America. Maybe not inside of a school, but it happens in other workplaces, on the street, inside homes, etc. I don't see what sets this one apart from the others and why it should receive special attention.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟557,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But this is where you're incorrect. It does happen every day in America. Maybe not inside of a school, but it happens in other workplaces, on the street, inside homes, etc.
Really?... Everyday in America, children are shot to death in their classroom? I don't watch the news much at all but maybe they just don't report it because it's just so common.

If that's at all true, then that is a very sad reflection on our country, wouldn't you agree?

I don't see what sets this one apart from the others and why it should receive special attention.
Then we have nothing else to discuss.

Why did you even comment in this thread if you feel this story deserves no special attention?

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟656,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Really?... Everyday in America, children are shot to death in their classroom? I don't watch the news much at all but maybe they just don't report it because it's just so common.

That's not what I said. Shootings and murders happen every day. Like I said, it may not happen in a school, but it happens in homes, on the street, and in other workplaces.

If that's at all true, then that is a very sad reflection on our country, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, it is. But "sad" doesn't always warrant a presidential statement.

Why did you even comment in this thread if you feel this story deserves no special attention?

I'm addressing the things people have said about it. At this time, I'm specifically addressing your comments about why you feel the president should have commented on this particular incident.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟557,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's not what I said. Shootings and murders happen every day. Like I said, it may not happen in a school, but it happens in homes, on the street, and in other workplaces.
Then that is the distinction that warrants the special attention. It happened in a school. Do we try anything to prevent it from happening again or do we just say "Welp, that's life. You're gonna have to bury your kid now because they went to school one day, and well, you know... things happen."

Yes, it is. But "sad" doesn't always warrant a presidential statement.
A President promising to make a country great again should probably try to address some of the problems endemic to that country.

I'm addressing the things people have said about it. At this time, I'm specifically addressing your comments about why you feel the president should have commented on this particular incident.
And I told why I feel he should after all the stupid, pointless, moronic things he tweets and talks about on a weekly basis. This is not a common occurrence, no matter how bad the violence is in America. Our country doesn't suck this much. We should bring national attention to a story like this if anything, to show the people affected by it that this will not be ignored or swept under the rug.

But that's just too much to ask from a president who tweets about the size of the crowds at his own inauguration. Too much to ask from a president who's spent almost every weekend at his Florida resort, playing golf.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟656,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then that is the distinction that warrants the special attention. It happened in a school. Do we try anything to prevent it from happening again or do we just say "Welp, that's life. You're gonna have to bury your kid now because they went to school one day, and well, you know... things happen."

A President promising to make a country great again should probably try to address some of the problems endemic to that country.

School shootings have gotten special attention in that measures are now in place to try to keep things like this to a minimum. Locked doors, lock-down procedures, metal detectors, school "gun free zones" and things like that have been done.

And I told why I feel he should after all the stupid, pointless, moronic things he tweets and talks about on a weekly basis. This is not a common occurrence, no matter how bad the violence is in America. Our country doesn't suck this much. We should bring national attention to a story like this if anything, to show the people affected by it that this will not be ignored or swept under the rug.

Attention was brought to it, just as it has been, to many tragic things when it is reported on the national news and discussed on TV programs. If attention wasn't brought to it, we wouldn't be talking about it right now.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟333,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trump talks about stupid stuff all the time. The shooting at the elementary school in San Bernardino, California’s North Park Elementary School, must have skipped his mind. Maybe if the gunman complained about Trumps hair. As he was killing the victims. Trump might have complained about it on Twitter.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟656,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Trump talks about stupid stuff all the time. The shooting at the elementary school in San Bernardino, California’s North Park Elementary School, must have skipped his mind. Maybe if the gunman complained about Trumps hair. As he was killing the victims. Trump might have complained about it on Twitter.

You didn't say anything about why Trump was obligated to comment on this local event. But your continued sarcasm didn't add anything to the discussion.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟557,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You didn't say anything about why Trump was obligated to comment on this local event. But your continued sarcasm didn't add anything to the discussion.
There's no obligation, it's more an expectation. Some of us just have different expectations of our President.

But it's okay. His silence speaks much louder than his often jumbled words.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟656,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There's no obligation, it's more an expectation. Some of us just have different expectations of our President.

But it's okay. His silence speaks much louder than his often jumbled words.

I suppose there are people who will expect the president to say something about whatever it is that concerns them. Far too often in the past, the president (name any one you want) inserted himself into a local situation because it aligned with one of his own political goals. Clinton/Obama often did this whenever there was a shooting that made the headlines in order to bolster his claims of how we need to either ban guns or make it harder for people to have them. There have been other times when a presidential statement was more appropriate, such as when the World Trade Center was attacked and the Pentagon was hit by an international terror group. But situations where a political (or racial) message is being put out, such as "if I had a son, he'd look like Treyvon" are not appropriate for a president to be inserting himself.

Usually though, people who want a president to speak up about local events are ones who have a political ax to grind. Why else would they care about what a politician of any level has to say?

Upvote 0