SHOCKING POLL: One In Five Gen Z Americans Hold Positive View Of Osama bin Laden

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is believed that a recent TikTok trend that spotlights a letter written by bin Laden 20 years ago could be contributing to the shocking results.
I believe the cause is propaganda from social media and our educational system.

Reactions: RoBo1988

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It is believed that a recent TikTok trend that spotlights a letter written by bin Laden 20 years ago could be contributing to the shocking results.
20% of Gen Z believes a kooky thing?

“Trickle-down economics” was kooky too.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,063.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have to point out that the percentages for Democrats or Republicans were about the same at 10%. I'm not making a political point here. Believe me. Maybe that 10% were all under 30. It seems to be age based. The older you are, the less you agree with such a moronic proposal.

Look, and I'm trying to tread carefully here...you can be the most vicious, murderous monster on the planet. But that doesn't mean that everything you say is therefore wrong. And his letter contained some truths. Or at least they contained comments that people believe to be the truth. I read the letter when it became available. And seethed with anger that he thought could use what he wrote to kill innocent people. Which I watched live on TV. Because of the time difference my wife and I saw it all happen in real time.

The context is missing. Many of the people who said they thought positively about him have simply read the letter. Some of them weren't born when those planes hit. Show any sane person footage of 9/11 and ask if anything could justify it and you'd only get one answer.

Honest question: If you asked a 16 year old American what happened on 9/11, could they tell you?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have to point out that the percentages for Democrats or Republicans were about the same at 10%. I'm not making a political point here. Believe me. Maybe that 10% were all under 30. It seems to be age based. The older you are, the less you agree with such a moronic proposal.

Look, and I'm trying to tread carefully here...you can be the most vicious, murderous monster on the planet. But that doesn't mean that everything you say is therefore wrong. And his letter contained some truths. Or at least they contained comments that people believe to be the truth. I read the letter when it became available. And seethed with anger that he thought could use what he wrote to kill innocent people. Which I watched live on TV. Because of the time difference my wife and I saw it all happen in real time.

The context is missing. Many of the people who said they thought positively about him have simply read the letter. Some of them weren't born when those planes hit. Show any sane person footage of 9/11 and ask if anything could justify it and you'd only get one answer.

Honest question: If you asked a 16 year old American what happened on 9/11, could they tell you?
I don't know.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can you ask one next time you have the chance?
Actually I spoke with a 16 year old high school junior just hours before your question. I do ask what is being taught in high school and about the environment. I have asked about Hamas but not Bin Laden. CRT is not formally taught but it is there in references made by teachers. Discipline is slowly breaking down, which is a major problem in most American schools. Here the teachers allow boyfriends and girlfriends to be in a class for "support" reasons even though they are not taking the class. That's a small step but nonetheless step in the wrong direction for discipline.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Here the teachers allow boyfriends and girlfriends to be in a class for "support" reasons even though they are not taking the class. That's a small step but nonetheless step in the wrong direction for discipline.
So sez ye, maybe you’re incorrect?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually I spoke with a 16 year old high school junior just hours before your question. I do ask what is being taught in high school and about the environment. I have asked about Hamas but not Bin Laden.
That doesn't really address the question of knowledge of bin Laden/ 9-11 now does it?

For my classmates when we were 16 an equivalent would have been to ask about what happened in Dallas in 1963.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't really address the question of knowledge of bin Laden/ 9-11 now does it?

For my classmates when we were 16 an equivalent would have been to ask about what happened in Dallas in 1963.
Well, when I was 16 I knew about the Pearl Harbor attack.

But then again, a few years ago I read an article by a former Viet Cong officer who was annoyed that Gen X Vietnam youth didn't know they had fought the US in a war.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

But then again, a few years ago I read an article by a former Viet Cong officer who was annoyed that Gen X Vietnam youth didn't know they had fought the US in a war.

That's what all of this seems to be about. A lack of impactful historical memory in those who were born after it happened. I don't know what fraction of my cohort would have bungled the JFK killing, but certainly some would have. Perhaps they would have looked at Oswald favorable (as a patsy, for example, conspiracy narratives were well established by the late 80s.)

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,063.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How did they miss the antisemitism and homophobia in the letter?
I doubt if they did. There are many people siding with Palestine at the moment (as opposed to Hamas). And according to Pew, 39% of Gen X are against gay marriage. Section 1: Changing Views of Same-Sex Marriage

Let's face it, some of what bin Laden said about sexual morality could have been lifted straight from the bible.

I think that if you reworded that letter somewhat but kept the general points that were made and didn't identify the author, you'd see the percentage that gave some support for the opinions in it rise.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,063.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

It must be frustrating that something for which you fought and were prepared to die for is not now considered important or is simply lost to the younger generations. Or maybe that's a good thing...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Amusing story about the preteen brain related to this:

When I was in 6th grade we were taught about the Kennedy assassination. Our teacher recounted her experience on that day as she was a young high school art teacher at the time. Our assignment was to go home and ask a parent or other older relative what there memories of that day were. I did so with my mom. The next day (or it might have been the next week coming back from a weekend) we presented our stories to the class. I happily recounted how my mom was in class and the students were called out of class to an auditorium where the announcement was made to all the students. Everyone was very upset. The students were tasked with drawing a tree in art class that was in the courtyard and that tree became an inseparable part of that event for her.

Except none of that happened to my mother. I had recounted the story my teacher had told and somehow attributed it to my mother. The teacher was baffled and asked if my mother was in her class, which she couldn't have been because she didn't live in the same state at the time. I was really embarrassed and didn't understand why my brain did that. I was convinced it was the story my mother had told me. I went home and asked my mom again about it and she told me something completely different than what I recounted. It was weird.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I remember when conservative loudmouth Dinesh DSouza declared sympathy with Bin Ladens motivations. They are both values-conservatives, tho they expressed it..... differently. Still, the basis for sympathy was pretty clear.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

It must be frustrating that something for which you fought and were prepared to die for is not now considered important or is simply lost to the younger generations. Or maybe that's a good thing...
The same mistakes keep being made over and over very much people are not held accountable. The government had done things like interning citizens with no trial, experimenting on citizens without their permission, Iran-Contra under Reagan, Bush attacking Iraq. These thinks need to be pushed to the forefront. The press is a huge problem, glorifying so many of the politicians and covering up their past acts.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I remember when conservative loudmouth Dinesh DSouza declared sympathy with Bin Ladens motivations. They are both values-conservatives, tho they expressed it..... differently. Still, the basis for sympathy was pretty clear.
That to me is quite a mischaracterization. DSouza pointed out that jihadists decry homosexuality and such promoted by the left. It is rather wacky when someone like Jean-Pierre defends jihadists because if they go a hold of her they would throw her off a roof top. Of course the fact is that jihadists hate Christians as well.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That to me is quite a mischaracterization. DSouza pointed out that jihadists decry homosexuality and such promoted by the left. It is rather wacky when someone like Jean-Pierre defends jihadists because if they go a hold of her they would throw her off a roof top. Of course the fact is that jihadists hate Christians as well.
Its not a mischaracterization.

This is sympathy with Bins Ladens motivations:

If the political left and the Islamic fundamentalists are in the same foreign policy camp [because they both hate American imperialism], then by the same token the political right and the Islamic fundamentalists are on the same wavelength on social issues. The left is allied with some radical Muslims in opposition to American foreign policy, and the right is allied with an even larger group of Muslims [which includes radical Muslims] in their opposition to American social and cultural depravity. This is the essential new framework I propose for understanding American foreign policy and American social issues.

(
D’Souza’s: The Enemy at Home: The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11)

Upvote 0