Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am not childfree, but I saw this post on the forum and had to respond.

Only small people who feel badly about themselves feel the need to tear someone else down. They only tear down those whom they fear are above them. You will never be able to change a hateful person, but when I had to deal with a similiar situation I did the following, and it "got me through" the days.

1) I prayed constantly. For God to give me strength, for God to give her a less sharp tongue, for God to help me forgive her. (I actually began to pity her, so the prayers worked some.)
2) I recited the mantra in my mind, "Only small people need to tear others down to their depths," every time she said something vicious.

Of course, I didn't always handle it so well. There were times when a truly snide remark was made, and I would smile and say, "I don't know whether to compliment you for your ability to say whatever you think, or to chastize you for your rudeness."

It made her fume more, but it also shut her up.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh, Orchard. I wish I could give you a hug! :(

I agree that, since she's your husband's mother, he should be the one to say something to her. "Mother, I love you and I'm so happy you are here to share Christmas with us, but if you're going to speak to my wife in that way we are going to have to find a hotel for you to stay for the remainder of your trip" might work.

If he doesn't feel he can say anything to her, I think TexasSky gave good advice. Pray for her -- she's miserable inside and wants everyone to feel miserable with her. Pray for yourself -- for the strength to get through this time with your sanity intact. And we'll all pray for you too.

Find time to get away. Even if you're just taking lots of showers, just find some time to be warm and alone and away from the situation. Treat yourself extra well to make up for the way she is treating you.

Hang in there. We're here for you. It's almost over.
:hug:

Upvote 0

invisiblebabe

He will restore the years the locust hath eaten
Feb 12, 2004
Second star to the right, and straight on 'til mor
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
People like that are toxic, especially to more sensitive souls like yourself. You have the right idea... never let her come over again, if she keeps up that attitude!

Praying for you. :pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ugh ugh ugh. :( I have to say, despite the reaction, I'd still pop a movie into the DVD player and sneak off to the study with hubby. I mean... at that point, I might leave $20 on the table with the phone number to a pizza delivery place, and leave (with hubby) to stay in a hotel! :eek:

She sounds like a nightmare, Orchard. I think you have the right answer -- never host her in your home again. It's not worth all this.

Big :hug: to you. Hang in there. It's almost over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.