Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
My impression is that you're sharing this not out of an interest in paleontology but to make a point about the modern world. Let me open that door if others have not sufficiently done so already. Is there a connection to the modern political and culture discord you'd like to make?

I was attracted to the article because it runs contrary to normal expectations. The traditional image of hunter-gatherer society is of the men going out to hunt while the little woman went berry picking.

I will admit to enjoying the prospect of stirring the CF pot a little. Christianity strikes me as inherently patriarchal with a generous splash of misogyny.

OB

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

the Vital One

Awaken
Dec 5, 2015
Illinois
✟44,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was attracted to the article because it runs contrary to normal expectations. The traditional image of hunter-gatherer society is of the men going out to hunt while the little woman went berry picking.

I will admit to enjoying the prospect of stirring the CF pot a little. Christianity strikes me as inherently patriarchal with a generous splash of misogyny.

OB

Many of our assumptions and beliefs about early humans are probably wrong. We envision ourselves living in a world with minimal technology and no civilization, but the truth is that life was incredibly different back then.

Science and history love to deny us simplicity.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Many of our assumptions and beliefs about early humans are probably wrong. We envision ourselves living in a world with minimal technology and no civilization, but the truth is that life was incredibly different back then.

Science and history love to deny us simplicity.

What is your point?

OB

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is just some artistic picture of a woman with a bow, in the article.

What kind of hunting? Age of the women? Photos, videos?

Because women, if having enough of nutrition, store fat on legs and in other areas that make them compatible with maternity, but not with hunting, it would be interesting to see how these hunter women look like, if they run a lot (being significantly slower than men), if they throw spears (being about 50% weaker than men, having significantly worse muscle dynamics etc.) or what is going on.
I hear you about women with a bow or Amazons. Maybe this appeals to male masculinity. I wouldn't mind if my wife learned to do everything so I wouldn't have to do anything. At least this male is a little lazy. But seriously, nutrition definitely has an effect on women's physiology for reproduction. I learned this while watching videos on fasting. I'm sure it was all hands on deck when it came to food back in the day in one way or another. Like the Indians chasing the buffalo.

Upvote 0

the Vital One

Awaken
Dec 5, 2015
Illinois
✟44,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is your point?

OB

What was written - many common perceptions of early humans are probably wrong.

I thought of adding that this is just one of many, but then thought that wasn't necessary to post, but clearly it was.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
What was written - many common perceptions of early humans are probably wrong.

I thought of adding that this is just one of many, but then thought that wasn't necessary to post, but clearly it was.

The article, and the original report, aren't about 'early humans'. The bulk of the study is based on ethnographic analyses of hunter-gatherer societies done in the last 100 years or so.

Mention of earlier societies is mainly related to criticism of archaeologists being unwilling to accept hunting related grave goods as belonging to the deceased female occupying the grave.

OB

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,350.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of the modern hunters, I would guess that the hunter/gatherer societies being studied are unlikely to be taking iPhones out with them when they're hunting.
There are many photos and videos of male hunters all over the world, regarding primitive societies. I posted two as an example, but there are really many.

We can also find endless documentaries from all over the world, or reportage in magazines like National Geographic.

And now, some paper is shattering the "myth". So I would simply like to see some of them. And all google results seem to lead just to this paper, suddenly. Like if there was no other, ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,350.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The traditional image of hunter-gatherer society is of the men going out to hunt while the little woman went berry picking.

Terms like patriarchy or misogyny are not how science should be done, they belong to ideology.

There is no misogyny in collecting berry instead of killing a mammoth. I guess most men would like to rather collect berries, if they could choose.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Terms like patriarchy or misogyny are not how science should be done, they belong to ideology.

There is no misogyny in collecting berry instead of killing a mammoth. I guess most men would like to rather collect berries, if they could choose.

You have this amazing proclivity for misunderstanding.

Patriarchy and misogyny were observations on Christian culture and, to a lesser extent, archaeological assumptions related to hunting related grave goods.

Patriarchy and misogyny are also legitimate terms when connected with ethnographic analyses of a culture.

OB

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,350.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have this amazing proclivity for misunderstanding.

Patriarchy and misogyny were observations on Christian culture and, to a lesser extent, archaeological assumptions related to hunting related grave goods.

Patriarchy and misogyny are also legitimate terms when connected with ethnographic analyses of a culture.

OB
It seems to me you just wanted to call some Christian/s patriarchal or misogynist. You could not even wait for too long, you called me those words even in your first reply, because I asked some technical questions.

You are probably not even interested in how those women hunt or if the report is true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is just some artistic picture of a woman with a bow, in the article.

What kind of hunting? Age of the women? Photos, videos?

Because women, if having enough of nutrition, store fat on legs and in other areas that make them compatible with maternity, but not with hunting, it would be interesting to see how these hunter women look like, if they run a lot (being significantly slower than men), if they throw spears (being about 50% weaker than men, having significantly worse muscle dynamics etc.) or what is going on.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

They probably helped with some of the hunting, but more regarding small game like rabbits or something. I'm sure there were some women who even helped with that large fame, but it was probably few and far between.

That's feminism, they take a grain of truth and try to stretch it out as far as possible.

Upvote 0