Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What are the most effective strategies for evangelizing in your experience? You could answer this question as a Christian evangelist or as a Christian convert or even as a non-Christian evangelist or a non-Christian convert (including atheist).

Here are some of my ideas as an example (probably a bad example LOL)
(1) The potential convert needs to be dissatisfied with his/her current religious ideas
(2) The evangelist only needs to publicize the fact that he/she is eager to share information about a religion for any who are interested. That might be as simple as wearing a T-shirt or using an avatar with a religious symbol. It would be more like a fisherman casting his worm and waiting patiently for a nibble.
(3) Some people might not have the talents to be evangelists, and they might instead donate money or time to a person who does have the talents.

I'm out of ideas. Hopefully others will have some.

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
What are the most effective strategies for evangelizing in your experience?
Love, Compassion and Service to those in need. Which by the way is the theme Jesus spent most of his ministry teaching. It's what I understand as the "Good News" and the True Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are the most effective strategies for evangelizing in your experience? You could answer this question as a Christian evangelist or as a Christian convert or even as a non-Christian evangelist or a non-Christian convert (including atheist).

(1) The potential convert needs to be dissatisfied with his/her current religious ideas
(2) The evangelist only needs to publicize the fact that he/she is eager to share information about a religion for any who are interested. That might be as simple as wearing a T-shirt or using an avatar with a religious symbol. It would be more like a fisherman casting his worm and waiting patiently for a nibble.
(3) Some people might not have the talents to be evangelists, and they might instead donate money or time to a person who does have the talents.

...(4) Pray for the "potential convert" like there's no tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Another technique is to perform charity while also advertising your religion. For example, a church might sponsor a public party to burnish its image in the community. Or an individual might participate in a non-religious charity while wearing a religious T-shirt.

BTW, the US government now hires religious groups as contractors to distribute taxpayer-funded welfare. Billions of welfare dollars are being distributed through churches. The religious groups profit while also associating themselves all that government charity.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure. Evangelizing is nonsensical and frowned upon in my religion.

Another technique is to perform charity while also advertising your religion. For example, a church might sponsor a public party to burnish its image in the community. Or an individual might participate in a non-religious charity while wearing a religious T-shirt.

In a world where we can ask Siri, or Cortana, or Alexa about what a religion says without even having to move, I would suspect a demonstration of what the religion teaches might garner some interest. A community charity event wouldn't be a bad idea, provided no strings were attached.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

BTW, the US government now hires religious groups as contractors to distribute taxpayer-funded welfare. Billions of welfare dollars are being distributed through churches. The religious groups profit while also associating themselves all that government charity.

...how about calling Fire Down from Heaven as an empirical evidence. Would that get the attention of the potential converts, do ya' think?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Come up with a snappy dance or something.

My real answer, brand Christianity in a more cool manner. Show the edge the faith can have.

....I thought Switchfoot already did that long ago? ;)

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
  • Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When I was converted, I was just a guy with his Bible. No one being "friendly" with me to sell me something. It was just Jesus in his own words. If someone is already interested, I cannot think of anything better to say than, "read the Gospels".

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
When I was converted, I was just a guy with his Bible. No one being "friendly" with me to sell me something. It was just Jesus in his own words. If someone is already interested, I cannot think of anything better to say than, "read the Gospels".
So what motivated you to read the gospels? Did something happen in your life? Also what belief did you have before Christianity?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The thing is that Christianity is about believing that Jesus is divine. Not just agreeing with his philosophical ideals.

• Agree
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here is an example of evangelism gone wrong ;)

1_churchKill.jpg

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So what motivated you to read the gospels? Did something happen in your life? Also what belief did you have before Christianity?
Baptised Catholic, grew up in a secular home, liked to read about world religions.

Went to church in adulthood but after awhile it all seemed empty. Why believe? It's inauthentic to try to make yourself believe something.

Years passed but I never got over Jesus. I was preoccupied with the question of who he is, and in a moment something just clicked with the theology of the incarnation, and I knew that this was the goodness of God and the meaning of life. After all my unbelief I knew that I was projecting nothing - no, God reached out to me and welcomed me, and something changed in my core.

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The thing is that Christianity is about believing that Jesus is divine. Not just agreeing with his philosophical ideals.
The Trinity, Christology - it's all there in the Gospels. Not that this is all a Christian should read. I just can't imagine a better start.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

:heart:"We must feel toward our people as a father toward his children; yea, the most tender love of a mother must not surpass ours. We must even travail in birth, till Christ be formed in them. They should see that we care for no outward thing, neither liberty, nor honor, nor life, in comparison to their salvation... When the people see that you truly love them, they will hear anything from you...Oh therefore, see that you feel a tender love for your people in your hearts, and let them perceive it in your speech and conduct. Let them see that you spend and are spent for their sakes."
- Richard Baxter

Upvote 0