Orlando, Florida
✟1,263,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I recently took up learning the shakuhachi. It's hard to play, especially as I have no experience with open flutes. But I can get solid notes out of it, it just took about four hours of practice.

I also have a Native American style flute (made popular by Carlos Nakai back in the 80's and 90's). It's alot easier to play (fairly simple in comparison, it has a block or fipple similar to a whistle or recorder), but doesn't have the same type of dynamics as an open flute.

My shakuhachi is actually made from PVC by a flutemaker in Brazil. I ordered a resin model from Japan that should arrive before Christmas.

I'm interested in exploring suizen (blowing Zen) with the shakuhachi. This isn't actually about music meant to be performed so much as a spiritual practice. Some have argued it's "anti-music".

Here's an interesting video about an African American man who left the US on a boat years ago for Japan with his wife. He's a Chan (Zen) priest and is also a modern day Komuso in Japan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently took up learning the shakuhachi. It's hard to play, especially as I have no experience with open flutes. But I can get solid notes out of it, it just took about four hours of practice.

I also have a Native American style flute (made popular by Carlos Nakai back in the 80's and 90's). It's alot easier to play (fairly simple in comparison, it has a block or fipple similar to a whistle or recorder), but doesn't have the same type of dynamics as an open flute.

My shakuhachi is actually made from PVC by a flutemaker in Brazil. I ordered a resin model from Japan that should arrive before Christmas.

I'm interested in exploring suizen (blowing Zen) with the shakuhachi. This isn't actually about music meant to be performed so much as a spiritual practice. Some have argued it's "anti-music".

Here's an interesting video about an African American man who left the US on a boat years ago for Japan with his wife. He's a Chan (Zen) priest and is also a modern day Komuso in Japan.

FOUR HOURS!!! It took me 2 days!
Is that the Shakuhachi Yuu that you ordered. I also just ordered one last week. It should be here late January. I hear good things about it.

My better one is from Monty Levenson. So I cant blame the shakuhachi. I don't move my head as well as the pros.

I started to watch the video. I will watch the rest later. But he is right about the music, no ego, blowing Zen is meditation, stream of consciousness. That is why I like it. It is all about freedom rather than playing a "song" correctly.

Stay with it. It is worth it. So subtle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,263,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No, I did not order the Shakuhachi Yuu. It's a very good flute, though, that's my understanding.

From what I am reading, modern style honkyoku music is very put-together and formalized, whereas the real Komuso of the premodern eras were less formalized in their style. The modern shakuhachi is also more refined than the older hotchiku (Dharma-Flute), which is what many of them actually played, and also lacks a rougher and more raw bamboo sound (and also is subject to less wetting out since it's lacquered):

Watazumi Doso Roshi was an eccentric Zen priest and trying to recreate more of an authentic Suizen type sound. "If it sounds like music, you are doing it wrong" sums up this style of philosophy.

This eBay seller's PVC shakuhachi flute is the one that I have. They are based in New York, but their flutes are made in Brazil. It's an easy to play flute, even if I can't speak to whether it's "concert grade" or not.

PVC Shakuhachi 1.8 -for beginner Or To Be Taken On The Road | eBay

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"If it sounds like music, you are doing it wrong"
O, well I guess I am doing it right then. :sorry:
PVC is a good way to start. Plastic recorders are available for like $8 it seems there ought to be inexpensive shakuhachi. Once we get into bamboo things get complicated and price has to go up.

I started with one I got for $40 and then thought I was ready for something more.
Shakuhachi-Traditional Japanese Bamboo Flutes. Traditional Musical Instruments of Japan used for zen Buddhist meditation, classical, jazz & folk music.
These are beautiful. I have had one about 15 years now. (I think it was $800) As you may know, for a musical instrument that is still not bad. But You can get a very high quality Bansuri for $200.

One World Flutes.

Bansuri is a completely different mood and sound than shakuhachi.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,263,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
O, well I guess I am doing it right then. :sorry:
PVC is a good way to start. Plastic recorders are available for like $8 it seems there ought to be inexpensive shakuhachi. Once we get into bamboo things get complicated and price has to go up.

I started with one I got for $40 and then thought I was ready for something more.
Shakuhachi-Traditional Japanese Bamboo Flutes. Traditional Musical Instruments of Japan used for zen Buddhist meditation, classical, jazz & folk music.
These are beautiful. I have had one about 15 years now. (I think it was $800) As you may know, for a musical instrument that is still not bad. But You can get a very high quality Bansuri for $200.

One World Flutes.

Bansuri is a completely different mood and sound than shakuhachi.

I have a Chinese dizi flute, which is similar except it has a kazoo-like membrane (so it sounds reedy in comparison). It's difficult to get a consistent tone, you have to have a laser precision airstream.

And I have found that even a few minutes of playing really relaxes me because of the controlled breathing.

Flutes in general are good for that. It forces you to breathe deep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a Chinese dizi flute, which is similar except it has a kazoo-like membrane (so it sounds reedy in comparison). It's difficult to get a consistent tone, you have to have a laser precision airstream.
Rather mazing.

Upvote 0