New Jersey
✟336,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I like the change. In my country, I still occasionally see "Men at Work" signs, which seem odd holdovers from an older, more gender-exclusive time; "Road Work Ahead" is a much friendlier sign to see. Sometimes a culture makes good strides in important things -- civil rights legislation and so on -- and a few details, like road signs, get overlooked. I'm glad Ms. Carew noticed the oversight.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,151,671.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
--Tried to post the sign, but for some reason, can't post any image here.--

A seven year-old girl complained about the sign, and it was changed.
What has the world come to? Brainwashing children into believing such gender neutral garbage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ear-old-girl-said-werent-inclusive-women.html
Whilst brainwashing children that women are second class citizens is a-ok? Sorry but changing signs to reflect reality is not gender neutral garbage.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I am going to post my opinion, and yes, I do support changing the signs.

But, I do not see these signs as “brainwashing” children. My kids grew up during the “name change” that occurred in the US over the past decades but they were exposed to “Fireman”, “Policeman”, “Mailman/Postman”, “Bagboy” and others early on. I have three children, the two oldest are daughters. They were not influenced or brainwashed into thing they were worthless or second class citizens by these names or road signs. My oldest daughter is a successful independent business woman that makes quite a bit more than her husband. She was not kept back because of gender stereotypes. My middle daughter is a Corporal in the US Marines and on the fast track to Sergeant well above her male peers. She is also an expert “rifleman” and has no problem with the term and rubs it into her male counterparts daily.

If you want to identify the true brainwashers of young women and girls, look no farther than the toy manufacturers, advertisers, TV, Movies, religions (including mine), some parents, and even schools. They have more effect on impressionable minds than road signs or the “Trashman” and until serious change is made with the aforementioned entities, changing road signs is nothing more than putting “Barbie” in an new outfit to show how far we have come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums