Sex outside of wedlock

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone else notice that non-denominational Christians aren't taking this seriously at all these days? Or is that just me?

mmmmm.....I know a fair number of 'baptists' who aren't taking this seriously these days either. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
mmmmm.....I know a fair number of 'baptists' who aren't taking this seriously these days either. :rolleyes:
Most non-denominational are the same as Baptists in all but name and being part of a Baptist convention.

• Agree
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most non-denominational are the same as Baptists in all but name and being part of a Baptist convention.

I also know some Catholics who don't take it too seriously either. In fact, I know some who have been baptized in Orthodox churches who don't take much of any of faith seriously, let alone the issue of sex outside marriage.

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I know people, on both sides of this issue, that are apathetic toward the discussion. I do think that it should be taken seriously in the sense that relationships are serious and affect the livelihoods and well-being of people. People were not made to be alone; we are created by God to live in community and to develop relationships of different varieties. In specificity to the OP, romantic relationships are a calling and are essential to many people's lives. Romantic relationships do not necessarily involve sexual intimacy, for example there are many asexual people who are nevertheless in committed asexual romantic relationships, but those that do have sexual romantic relationships may not be in marriages. I think we have to consider, first and foremost, the commitment and faithfulness of the relationship.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I also know some Catholics who don't take it too seriously either. In fact, I know some who have been baptized in Orthodox churches who don't take much of any of faith seriously, let alone the issue of sex outside marriage.

2PhiloVoid
Those are what we call non-practicing Orthodox (as in, people who are not actually Orthodox, but still identify as such). They're not the sort of people who attend worship all the time and know everyone there, which is what I'm talking about in the OP.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know people, on both sides of this issue, that are apathetic toward the discussion. I do think that it should be taken seriously in the sense that relationships are serious and affect the livelihoods and well-being of people. People were not made to be alone; we are created by God to live in community and to develop relationships of different varieties. In specificity to the OP, romantic relationships are a calling and are essential to many people's lives. Romantic relationships do not necessarily involve sexual intimacy, for example there are many asexual people who are nevertheless in committed asexual romantic relationships, but those that do have sexual romantic relationships may not be in marriages. I think we have to consider, first and foremost, the commitment and faithfulness of the relationship.

I don't like the feel of that at all.

Are you saying these relations are OK?

• Agree
Reactions: tstor
Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone else notice that non-denominational Christians aren't taking this seriously at all these days? Or is that just me?
Why judge? What seems to be one's man sin is less then another's past sins and vise versa. Let God be the judge.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Do romantic relationships involve sexual attraction?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why judge?

How do you mean judge? I hear this a lot when someone is merely pointing out a fact. God made the rules, and he does the judging.

Or maybe there is something I'm misunderstanding?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Most Christians aren't.

I not long ago spoke with a Catholic girl who was more concerned with 'sexual compatibility' as justification for her sin than what Scripture clearly states on the matter.

Worse than that, her Priest said there was nothing wrong with it.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those are what we call non-practicing Orthodox (as in, people who are not actually Orthodox, but still identify as such). They're not the sort of people who attend worship all the time and know everyone there, which is what I'm talking about in the OP.

Well...let's just hope that 'non-denominationals' wake-up soon and realize that we don't really get to call the shots as to if or when we have sex outside of marriage ... ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romantic relationships do not necessarily involve sexual intimacy, for example there are many asexual people who are nevertheless in committed asexual romantic relationships, but those that do have sexual romantic relationships may not be in marriages.

When someone cites an extenuating/unusual circumstance as defense when in the scheme of things, those circumstances defend nothing, hence the only possible reason to bring it up is to pretend it's a defense... it concerns me. Somethings up.

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Do romantic relationships involve sexual attraction?
It depends on whether the person is asexual or not. Persons of an asexual orientation have asexual romantic attractions. Persons who have another sexual orientation could have a sexual romantic attraction. I prefixed my post with that to clarify that I am neither saying people should or should not have a sexual intimacy outside of marriage because each couple expresses that intimacy differently. I do think it is worth taking seriously and exploring what either scenario would mean in a faith-context.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most Christians aren't.

I not long ago spoke with a Catholic girl who was more concerned with 'sexual compatibility' as justification for her sin than what Scripture clearly states on the matter.

Worse than that, her Priest said there was nothing wrong with it.

Actually I heard that argument too...some people think that you should have sex before marriage because you might not be sexually compatible with that person.

But my question is, if you truly love someone romantically wouldn't you also love them sexually?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It depends on whether the person is asexual or not. Persons of an asexual orientation have asexual romantic attractions. Persons who have another sexual orientation could have a sexual romantic attraction.

In what percentage of relationships do you think that is the case?

Upvote 0