• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

sever ocd

Status
Not open for further replies.

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
yep. i didnt realize it for a couple of hours but i was like "whoa that was cool"
Ty,
Great insight buddy... I'm so thrilled to read your post this pm. You are "seeing the light". The constant reassurance that we are always seeking always makes the thoughts seem so valid when they are not. Keep up the good work. I'm in your corner praying for you.
Mitzi

Upvote 0

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
im having the problem of when i pray to be saved and pray for God to take me back i get all kinds of blasphemous thoughts with anger and rage. i also get feelings and thoughts that are the oppisite of what im praying for. its like i cant control these things and it really is causing me problems.

Upvote 0

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know exactly what you are talking about and have experienced this countless times. I've had the "opposite thought" prayers for as long as I can remember.

Remember, you do not "pray to be saved," Christ has already saved you. God does not need to take you back, He never left.

The fact that you realize that you can't control these things is a good start. We cannot control everything. We can't control much, in fact. That is the case to rest in God, His Grace and Sovereignty. This is the most important lesson I have learned from this struggle.

God Bless. Marc

Upvote 0

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
when i pray about my salvation and sins i feel like i have to hurt myself by clinching up my face real hard. i also feel like i have to bury my chin in my chest bowing my head for my prayers to go through. the pain in my face really is uncomfortable but i feel like i have to do this.
its just a huge conflict inside when im praying about my salvation and sins. i am praying to be saved and taken back and to be forgiven for my sins and i have the blasphemous thoughts and rage and anger running through me and my mind. i dont want the blasphemous thoughts and rage and anger but i cant control it. sometimes i feel like im just freaking out.

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HI Drummingman,
Something that helps me with habitual tensing of muscles is to practice progressive muscle relaxation techniques. Have you ever done any of this?
I used to tense the muscles in my stomach and also neck and jaw area. I now have TMJ problems and wear a bite splint at night which helps tremdously with the jaw and head pain.
Progressive mucsle relaxation is a good thing to do for any type of anxiety disorder so if you haven't learned it I would give it a try.
Still praying for you,
Mitzi

Upvote 0

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
HI Drummingman,
Something that helps me with habitual tensing of muscles is to practice progressive muscle relaxation techniques. Have you ever done any of this?
I used to tense the muscles in my stomach and also neck and jaw area. I now have TMJ problems and wear a bite splint at night which helps tremdously with the jaw and head pain.
Progressive mucsle relaxation is a good thing to do for any type of anxiety disorder so if you haven't learned it I would give it a try.
Still praying for you,
Mitzi
i will look that up. thanks for telling me about it.
i just have such a hard time not tensing up because of the blasphemous thoughts. i know that im supposed to just let the thoughts come but its so hard to do that.

Upvote 0

onewithnature

Jul 13, 2007
✟7,662.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Sup.

First thing you need to do is relax. With OCD, when you worry about something bad happening (such as intrusive thoughts), it will happen.
So relax.

You need to just calm your mind, when it´s free of thought, you can select your thoughts. Don´t try to get rid of intrusive though, simply when they come, let them go through your mind and they will go away. you have excessive worries about bad thoughts coming into you8r mind, and if you stop that excessive worry, you will be almost cured.

I also suffer from OCD (along with mild dissociation and dp/dr), but I am getting a lot better now. I have never used medications to treat it.

I will direct my good thoughts to all of you who need help.

Reactions: MrFreshdew
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well, Jesus and the meds that im taking have made my ocd better. but im still having a hard time with it. i have an apiontment with a therapist this coming tuesday that said she does cbt and erp. she also told me that the goal is to teach me how to do cbt and erp on my own.
im still hurting myself by tensing up with the blasphemous thoughts come so i hope that the therapist can help me with that as well.
i also still feel like i lose my salvation 100 times a day and i still have to pray to be saved and taken back every time i feel like i lose my salvation to feel saved and to be ok.

Upvote 0

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i have been having a problem with eating and drinking for a good while now. meaning, whatever i want to eat something something (im thinking my ocd or satan) keeps me from being able to do so in peace or at all.
let me explane, if i think that i want to start eating healthy and then change my mind i feel like i have to ask God to make it ok for me to eat anything that i want, because if i dont ask for God to make it ok for me to eat anything i will feel like im lying to God if i eat the thing that is not healthy. when im asking this the blasphemous thoughts and the rage comes. so then because of the rage and anger and blasphemous thoughts i feel like God punsihes me by not alowing me to eat what i want because i sinned because of that food or drink by thinking blasphemous thoughts and by getting angry and full of rage. this has been just one example of what can happen. at time if i think that i want to eat something i will instantly think that i wont eat it and then if i do eat it i will feel like im lying and therefor sinning against God.
if i try to push through this stuff when i feel like i cant eat something i feel like im doing what God does not want me to do and then i feel like im sining. at times i will fear that if i eat whatever the food that i want is i feel like i might lose my salvation.
all of this has made eating pure hell. it causes me to get so angry and then i get awful thoughts that i really dont want. i have had the thought that this struggle is making me hate God. then i fear that God wont forgive me for thinking such an awful thing about him. its just a tormenting situation.
this stuff happens 9 times out of 10 when i go to eat.
please pray for me on this because its causing me a lot of problems.

Upvote 0

onewithnature

Jul 13, 2007
✟7,662.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
you´re not taking my advise. You need to relax for once.
Just go outside and let your mind flow with your thoughts. Don´t worry about your salvation or whatever. Your mind is so disorganized that all of your thoghts about being saved are disorganized. You don´t feel God because you have crowded your mind and your feelings with anxiety and stress.
So go outside and sit down. Breathe deep and calm your mind. Let thoughts flow, and let a feeling of wellbeing "flow" into you. A tree doesn´t try to be, it just is. Look around at nature without judging. This is the world God has created for you, and it is harmonized. Once you come into this world your mind will be at ease with these divine patterns of nature. Breathe and feel the healing energy literally flow through you. Feel joy and oneness. Don´t worry about the future or the past. God didn´t punish adam and eve. It was his divine creations which tore them apart when they chose to ignore them. Right now, you are ignoring them. You have tasted the fruit which has brought unease, and you have to become one again. I´m not saying to never taste the fruit because it will bring knowledge, but it will also bring unease. It is not God that punishes, it is knowledge that makes you unbalanced.
So relax, and let everything be. Feel God in you and the patterns which nature grows by. Don´t look "up" to God, but instead, look at God right here and now.

You should take this advise seriously. I have gone through OCD, severe stress and depression, paranoid delusions, dissociation/depersonalization/derealization, confusion, and other brain screw overs. Now I am healing at an incredible rate. A week ago I was severely stressed, and now I am cured. I have never used meds ether.
I have learned to put down the fruit, and enjoy the simply feeling of purity and calmness which God wanted Adam and Eve to feel. This is what Jesus spoke of. Sadly enough, his words were lost in translation.

My way worked wonders, so give it a try.

Upvote 0

SkyCloud

May 12, 2007
California
Visit site
✟15,225.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Those thoughts about eating and the rage and whatever else are not real. They're the OCD going in circles.

You may have a chemical imbalance that's doing that to you. When I took my medication, all these things went away for me. You've got to see your doctor or therapist and see what they think is right for you.

I know that the OCD thoughts may stick around for a time, but Always know that those thoughts and actions are not from God and so just ignore them. Get help.

God Bless You,
DannyBoy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mrs. Enigma

Transformers was awesome!!!!
Jan 12, 2004
somewhere
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Drummingman, I have ben through a very similiar experience to what you described throughout this thread.

I have been obsessed over losing my salvation, and have had trouble with the blaspheming the Holy Spirit compulsion. I have been practically crazy at some points from trying not to sin, and I developed chants to try to block stuff when it would start happening..like saying, "God is good. The devil is bad." And stuff like that, but of course the chant did not help at all, but my brain stil automatically does that chant sometimes.

All I can say, is that I have punished myself, obsessed over stuff, lost sleep, been talking out loud and waving my arms trying to get the devil to go away etc. I have lived in constant fear of commiting that one dreaded sin. I have felt like I sin constantly, and I have prayed constantly...but after awhile things got better. It did seem to get better slowly, and I had to stop worrying and praying so much..I had to start resisting the urge to try to fix everything right away. I had to stop fearing the thoughts.

Right now I am far from perfect. I stil fear that God might not like me or want me, but I am not all OCD about sin right now. And I don't have to talk out loud or wave my arms to shield myself from the devil or anything.

I do not feel excessive guilt.

So, al I really wanted to say, is that if you hang in there, it can get better. I am not on meds and have not seen a councelor, but I am sure some of that stuff probably helps.

The main OCD problem I cureently have is counting things, but that is way less scary to deal with. I feel for you and am sorry that you are having to go through all this! (hugs)

I know it sems impossibly tough and overwhelming sometimes. Hang in there!

Upvote 0

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thanks all for the advice. i have been able to eat way better over the last few days praise Jesus!!
i still am getting blasphemous thoughts but they dont come non stop anymore. i still tense up and hurt my left arm and my right leg which is keeping me from being able to go back to playing my drums because of the knots in my left arm and the burning in my right achilles tendon. i have been able to listen to music a lot over the past few days which i also praise Jesus for!!!!!
i still really need all of your prayers.
also, please pray for my dad and mom. i just fond out that my dad has terminal cancer.
thanks

Upvote 0

drummer5

Jul 29, 2007
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
thanks all for the advice. i have been able to eat way better over the last few days praise Jesus!!
i still am getting blasphemous thoughts but they dont come non stop anymore. i still tense up and hurt my left arm and my right leg which is keeping me from being able to go back to playing my drums because of the knots in my left arm and the burning in my right achilles tendon. i have been able to listen to music a lot over the past few days which i also praise Jesus for!!!!!
i still really need all of your prayers.
also, please pray for my dad and mom. i just fond out that my dad has terminal cancer.
thanks
hey drummingman. i play drums too and have ocd. seriously i do. a few years ago my ocd really bothered me and i was a wreck and miserable. im not saing this was you, but one thing that kind of helped me was just sitting on my front lawn and just relaxing by seeing the grass and foliage (and sky i guess). i say this because green and blue are the most relaxing colors- thats probably why god made the grass green and the sky blue. i have worried a lot about salvation and i was told that god knows whats my ocd and what isnt. in other words i may have thoughts that i think are bad and against god, but god knows that i really dont want to be thinking them; if i dont want to be thinking them and dont feel right thinking them i probably dont really mean them- and god knows all that. i hope that made sense.
if you have bad thoughts, dont worry about salvation because those thoughts arent really how you feel but just how the ocd makes you think you feel. i have been given advice from my pshychiastrist for when i have ocd thoughts: tell myself "this is just my ocd and it doesnt have any power." ive had ocd for such a long time it seems and it hasnt gotten me anywhere and it hasnt caused anything except stress in my life. life doesnt go on forever and you dont need to go through life worrying about things when there's other ways you can spend your time. GOD DOESNT CONDEMN PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE OCD MAKES THEM THINK "BAD" THINGS THAT THEY DONT MEAN. HE DIDNT GIVE YOU OCD JUST SO YOU COULD HAVE THOUGHTS THAT ARE GOING TO RUIN YOUR SALVATION. WHY WOULD GOD PUNISH PEOPLE FOR THOUGHTS THAT ARE JUST PART OF A CONDITION?

ocd is very complicated and so is the human brain. when combined- oh boy. all the thoughts you have are practically meaningless when it comes to your salvation.

god bless

Upvote 0

Mrs. Enigma

Transformers was awesome!!!!
Jan 12, 2004
somewhere
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
hey drummingman. i play drums too and have ocd. seriously i do. a few years ago my ocd really bothered me and i was a wreck and miserable. im not saing this was you, but one thing that kind of helped me was just sitting on my front lawn and just relaxing by seeing the grass and foliage (and sky i guess). i say this because green and blue are the most relaxing colors- thats probably why god made the grass green and the sky blue. i have worried a lot about salvation and i was told that god knows whats my ocd and what isnt. in other words i may have thoughts that i think are bad and against god, but god knows that i really dont want to be thinking them; if i dont want to be thinking them and dont feel right thinking them i probably dont really mean them- and god knows all that. i hope that made sense.
if you have bad thoughts, dont worry about salvation because those thoughts arent really how you feel but just how the ocd makes you think you feel. i have been given advice from my pshychiastrist for when i have ocd thoughts: tell myself "this is just my ocd and it doesnt have any power." ive had ocd for such a long time it seems and it hasnt gotten me anywhere and it hasnt caused anything except stress in my life. life doesnt go on forever and you dont need to go through life worrying about things when there's other ways you can spend your time. GOD DOESNT CONDEMN PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE OCD MAKES THEM THINK "BAD" THINGS THAT THEY DONT MEAN. HE DIDNT GIVE YOU OCD JUST SO YOU COULD HAVE THOUGHTS THAT ARE GOING TO RUIN YOUR SALVATION. WHY WOULD GOD PUNISH PEOPLE FOR THOUGHTS THAT ARE JUST PART OF A CONDITION?

ocd is very complicated and so is the human brain. when combined- oh boy. all the thoughts you have are practically meaningless when it comes to your salvation.

god bless
I agree with this post. I feel like nature helps me somewhat too.

I think that accepting the fact that the thoughts are not what I really want to be thinking has helped me a ton. I hardly struggle with this particular issue at all anymore, though it almost drove me insane in the past.

right now I have a couple othe major OCD things I struggle with, but I bet that thinking the way you recommended, will help me out in those areas too. I just need to stay focussed on the fact that the ocd does some odd stuff, and not freak out. But sometimes it is tricky to not flip out. (hugs) to everybody who is struggling. I am sorry you all have to deal with all this OCD garbage. It stinks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.