• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Pearl7

Aug 20, 2021
ORADEA
✟18,908.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I was suggested by my doctor to take serotonin, because I have anxiety/depression and I have issues with my stomach. I take it for 2 days, I don't know if it's because of that, but I feel more anxious and I can't describe, but it's not alright. My stomach is better though.
Have you taken serotonin? Did you have any side effects?
I am afraid to take it for even 1 month because I feel unwell.

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You're not (I think) actually taking serotonin itself, you're taking meds that deal with serotonin levels in your brain.

I can't remember all of the meds I took in the past, but some were SNRI and some SSRI meds. It's entirely possible, with pretty much any depression/anxiety medication, that anxiety gets worse because of them. Many, many possible side effects, physical too, as you can read from the notes that came with your meds.
Didn't your doctor tell you about these things?

They're not like aspirin, it's recommended to be on meds for a while for your system to get used to them. The side effects may go away. Then again, if it's absolute hell and you're 100% better without, then you stop and go to your doctor again, but if one can tolerate some side effects, at least after a while you'll know for certain if you can handle it or not.

It's common for people to go through many different medications in order to find out what's right for them, either because of current meds aren't working, or because the side effects are too disruptive and intolerable. Process of elimination. I went through it, many go through it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Pearl7
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
...I don't know if it's because of that, but I feel more anxious and I can't describe, but it's not alright.
This makes me think of how it is with taking "non-drowsy" cold meds, which make me feel spacey and detached from reality, like in a dream state. They make me want to sleep more than the supposed "drowsy" kind do.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Pearl7

Aug 20, 2021
ORADEA
✟18,908.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're not (I think) actually taking serotonin itself, you're taking meds that deal with serotonin levels in your brain.

I can't remember all of the meds I took in the past, but some were SNRI and some SSRI meds. It's entirely possible, with pretty much any depression/anxiety medication, that anxiety gets worse because of them. Many, many possible side effects, physical too, as you can read from the notes that came with your meds.
Didn't your doctor tell you about these things?

They're not like aspirin, it's recommended to be on meds for a while for your system to get used to them. The side effects may go away. Then again, if it's absolute hell and you're 100% better without, then you stop and go to your doctor again, but if one can tolerate some side effects, at least after a while you'll know for certain if you can handle it or not.

It's common for people to go through many different medications in order to find out what's right for them, either because of current meds aren't working, or because the side effects are too disruptive and intolerable. Process of elimination. I went through it, many go through it.

Yes, you're right it's 5-hydroxytryptophan with B6 and C vitamins. She didn't tell me about the side effects, I am supposed to take it for a month. I didn't know it's actually an anti depression medication, but now I kind of understand what people meant when they said that those meds made them crazy. I will take it for a couple of days and see what happens, I wanted to do some sport anyway, but right now the anxiety is too much I can't commit to it that often as I wish.
Thank you so much :praying:

Upvote 0

Pearl7

Aug 20, 2021
ORADEA
✟18,908.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This makes me think of how it is with taking "non-drowsy" cold meds, which make me feel spacey and detached from reality, like in a dream state. They make me want to sleep more than the supposed "drowsy" kind do.
That is exactly how I feel, spacey and detached from reality, like I am from another planet and every small detail overwhelms me.

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes, you're right it's 5-hydroxytryptophan with B6 and C vitamins. She didn't tell me about the side effects, I am supposed to take it for a month. I didn't know it's actually an anti depression medication, but now I kind of understand what people meant when they said that those meds made them crazy. I will take it for a couple of days and see what happens, I wanted to do some sport anyway, but right now the anxiety is too much I can't commit to it that often as I wish.
Thank you so much :praying:

What, she didn't tell you what you were actually prescribed? I'd laugh but this isn't funny. It's not that uncommon to get meds that are primarily used to treat something else, but at least you should have been informed a lot better.

Yeah if you're getting that "what the hell is happening, my mind feels strange", it's safe to say it's because of the medication. I had to go through a lot of meds until I found one that didn't make me feel like I'm living outside of reality.

Hopefully it'll go away though, that's entirely possible too. At least your stomach is fine, that's one encouraging thing about this whole ordeal.

Upvote 0

Pearl7

Aug 20, 2021
ORADEA
✟18,908.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What, she didn't tell you what you were actually prescribed? I'd laugh but this isn't funny. It's not that uncommon to get meds that are primarily used to treat something else, but at least you should have been informed a lot better.

Yeah if you're getting that "what the hell is happening, my mind feels strange", it's safe to say it's because of the medication. I had to go through a lot of meds until I found one that didn't make me feel like I'm living outside of reality.

Hopefully it'll go away though, that's entirely possible too. At least your stomach is fine, that's one encouraging thing about this whole ordeal.
She told me what is it for, that it will help my stomach calm down, because I am anxious and that it has to do something with serotonin and vitamins. But I didn't realise then that is an anti depression medication, maybe she didn't want to scare me with these terms.

Upvote 0

Vieste

Jul 9, 2016
St Petersburg fl
✟32,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
She told me what is it for, that it will help my stomach calm down, because I am anxious and that it has to do something with serotonin and vitamins. But I didn't realise then that is an anti depression medication, maybe she didn't want to scare me with these terms.
Hi - I looked up what you are taking and it's actually an amino acid that helps with serotonin levels. It's a dietary supplement and a more natural approach to helping with anxiety and depression. I have taken some supplements, but eventually found I needed a chemical anti-depressant as well.
It takes trial-and-error and time for any treatment to be beneficial - even with more holistic meds, which is what you're on. Usually, the milder meds like yours don't have many side effects, but you never know how anything reacts with your body chemistry. You will feel differently at first on any med - so keep in contact with your physician and insist on having him/her explain just what's going on. You may have to change, but a month is usually a good trial period.
Don't be afraid of prescriptions - while it's scary at first having something foreign in your body, it will prove to be beneficial in the long run - or you can ask to try another prescription if you don't start feeling better.
And keep asking Jesus to guide you along the way - he's the best pathfinder anyone could want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0