Isserty_Dawn

Faith is not knowing God can, but that He will
Feb 15, 2004
✟16,310.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I used to have a serger but I didn't know how to use it so I got rid of it. Now I'm wondering if that was a HUGE mistake :doh:. Can anyone please tell me if a serger is really important in sewing or can I get by without one?
I'm wanting to start making costumes and home crafts if that helps any. :confused:

Krazy_4given_1

Jul 7, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey. My mom has made A LOT of clothes. (I do too sometimes... haha) She used to use the serger all the time. But, it's not a must. All it basically does it make that finishing seam you see on store bought clothes, along with cutting off alittle strip of fabric. It gives that 'store bought look' I guess. But like someone else said, you can get by without one!
good luck on the making clothes!

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Isserty_Dawn said:
I used to have a serger but I didn't know how to use it so I got rid of it. Now I'm wondering if that was a HUGE mistake :doh:. Can anyone please tell me if a serger is really important in sewing or can I get by without one?
I'm wanting to start making costumes and home crafts if that helps any. :confused:
Count me in with the "you don't need it" crowd. I've gone twice now to buy myself a serger, and come home with a better sewing machine instead. If your sewing machine does stretch and edging stitches, it can do everything a serger can do, just slower. Which, when you're a beginner, just means you don't have as much to pick out, and when you build up expertise means you have the flexibility to use the coutoure techniques that look a whole lot better than the ready-to-wear look that a serger gives you.

If you're doing a lot with stretch cottons and artic fleece, and don't work with taffeta and batiste, a serger can be a real advantage. But threading and tensioning a serger can be a large effort, making it unhelpful unless you're going to do a fair length of sewing with that thread colour.

When you're starting out, all you really need is a sewing machine -- and a straight-stitich-and-zigzag machine, at that.

Reactions: Chilufya
Upvote 0