Pacific NW
✟246,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Sen. Lindsey Graham introduces bill to ban most abortions nationwide after 15 weeks (cnbc.com)
GOP’s Graham to Again Propose National Abortion Restrictions (msn.com)
Graham introducing 15-week abortion ban, says bill may help GOP in midterms | Fox News

Lindsey Graham wants to pass a bill banning abortions after 15 weeks.

I had no problem with throwing out Roe v. Wade, because I thought it should be left up to the states. I still think it should be left up to the states. And after decades of hearing many Republicans saying that it should be left to the states, I think those same Republicans should stick to their guns.

Besides, it's not like the pro-life crowd is going to be happy with 15 weeks. Most abortions take place within the first 15 weeks.

Last edited:

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it should be left up to women and their doctors only. Let the medical profession decide what is appropriate and keep government out.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Capitol Hill Buzz: GOP Sen. Graham offers abortion bill | AP News

I had no problem with throwing out Roe v. Wade, because I thought it should be left up to the states. I still think it should be left up to the states. And after decades of hearing many Republicans saying that it should be left to the states, I think those same Republicans should stick to their guns.

Besides, it's not like the pro-life crowd is going to be happy with 15 weeks. Most abortions take place within the first 15 weeks.

Are the other GOP Senators going to let this pass and eclipse *their* unpopular ideas. Rick Scott? RonJohn? Rand?

But seriously, this will not pass (neither will the Dems abortion bil). Both are "messaging" bills, but unless Graham has set this up a "compromise trap" it won't help the GOP. A success ful compromise-type bill that could be used against Democrats would at minimum have to provide full exceptions for rape, incest, fetal viability, medical necessity. It would also have to override all state laws that are more restrictive (total bans, 6-week bans, etc.) and legislatively lock-in access to "plan B", birth control pills, etc. Otherwise it's not a compromise, but an imposition of harsher restrictions in the states that don't have them. A bill like that might have some traction in public opinion.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,509.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Capitol Hill Buzz: GOP Sen. Graham offers abortion bill | AP News

I thought 'no way would he be that dumb'. And he isn't. The story is over 7 years old.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,509.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oh for the love of unviable fetuses. This is what I get for not clicking on the link.

I nearly didn't myself. But I think it's more puzzling how someone can post a link and comment on it without having actually read it.

A quick edit needed Yttrium...

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The most serious problem with his bill is that some pregnancies are simply unviable. Instead of terminating a pregnancy as soon as its futility is discovered, this senator wants the doctor to wait until the woman is near enough to death to make it an emergency. This is beyond cruel and dangerous.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sen. Lindsey Graham introduces bill to ban most abortions nationwide after 15 weeks (cnbc.com)
GOP’s Graham to Again Propose National Abortion Restrictions (msn.com)
Graham introducing 15-week abortion ban, says bill may help GOP in midterms | Fox News

I guess this isn't "States' Rights Week".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Political theater. It won't pass the Senate and will be vetoed by President Biden.

Because it would supercede state laws, those legislators who want the complete ban to continue in their states would also veto it.

A bill cannot be vetoed if it isn't passed by the Senate. HOWEVER, if the Senate passes this, Biden will NOT veto it. The law is basically a re-instatement of Roe.

We do NOT have state nullification of federal laws.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The law is basically a re-instatement of Roe.
No it isn't. Roe stated that the federal government could only ban third-trimester abortions (i.e. after ~26 weeks). Planned Parenthood v. Casey got rid of the trimester framework and re-stated it as abortion being permitted up to "fetal viability," which is generally considered to be around 23-24 weeks. A 15-week ban would be significantly more restrictive.

If this proposed bill passed the Senate, I would expect Biden to veto it.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is no constitutional right to abortion, so I agree with making it a state's right issue. Graham is wrong here to try and make it a federal issue again. I don't know of a single state that does not allow for medical issues to be treated, including removing a child that has already passed in the womb or a dangerous situation that threatens the life of the mother. Those are all medical situations that can be treated.

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And the House won't pass it.
Things are moving Democrats' way due to judicial overreach in numerous areas, successful legislation, lower gas prices, and dawning realization that the former president will at long last be held accountable for a fraction of his many wrongs.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no constitutional right to abortion, so I agree with making it a state's right issue. Graham is wrong here to try and make it a federal issue again. I don't know of a single state that does not allow for medical issues to be treated, including removing a child that has already passed in the womb or a dangerous situation that threatens the life of the mother. Those are all medical situations that can be treated.
You might think so, but some states say that if there is a fetal "heartbeat" then for an abortion the woman's death must be imminent.

Abortion ban exceptions: What legally constitutes a 'life-threatening emergency'?

Last edited:
Upvote 0