Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
For all of you guys here who have attended seminary I'm having an issue.

I am looking at Orthodox seminaries and it appears none are pet friendly. My wife and I have two small dogs (one 15lbs, one 25lbs) and we do not want to get rid of them - we'd both feel horrible doing so.

I have looked into off-campus housing and the prices are outrageous. Given my jurisdiction, my Bishop will most likely "recommend" St. Vlad's. As you all are aware rent in New York City is not cheap. The same goes for Holy Cross in Brookline. The only reasonable off-campus housing rates are around St. Tikhon's.

So my questions are:

1) Do you know of any situations where seminarians were allowed to have small pets in on-campus married housing?

2) Would the Bishop be displeased if someone asked to go to a different seminary because of its off-campus housing affordability?

Thanks!

IrishOrthodox

Prodigal of TAW Forum
Dec 10, 2007
Lancaster, PA
✟8,662.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not know of any exceptions being made at Holy Cross. Off-campus housing that accepts pets can be found - we managed to do it - but it is by no means easy, especially with two and at the weight(s) you list.

I do not know who the bishop is you are, or will be, talking to about this; but I agree with Rus that any compassionate bishop will look at your full situation and make a recommendation that would likely work out best for both you and for the church. Still, keep in mind that if you are seriously considering moving forward in attending seminary, with the thought of accepting ordination, you become a servant to the church and your bishop - issues such as housing that accepts pets becomes YOUR problem because the needs of the church will be the priority. Good luck!

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For all of you guys here who have attended seminary I'm having an issue.

I am looking at Orthodox seminaries and it appears none are pet friendly. My wife and I have two small dogs (one 15lbs, one 25lbs) and we do not want to get rid of them - we'd both feel horrible doing so.

I have looked into off-campus housing and the prices are outrageous. Given my jurisdiction, my Bishop will most likely "recommend" St. Vlad's. As you all are aware rent in New York City is not cheap. The same goes for Holy Cross in Brookline. The only reasonable off-campus housing rates are around St. Tikhon's.

So my questions are:

1) Do you know of any situations where seminarians were allowed to have small pets in on-campus married housing?

2) Would the Bishop be displeased if someone asked to go to a different seminary because of its off-campus housing affordability?

Thanks!
You should be able to find housing off campus that accepts two small dogs. It took us a long search (thankfully, I did this months before we moved to Boston) to find a landlord that would allow our three pets - two small dogs and a cat. It IS extremely expensive in the area around Holy Cross in Brookline, but if you go outside of that area, the prices are a little better. I don't know about the areas around St. Vlad's.

Upvote 0