Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Luke 6:24-26 New International Version (NIV)
24 “But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
25 Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
for you will mourn and weep.
26 Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you,
for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.
What if we highlighted it this way instead?...

for you will go hungry.

:mmh:

Upvote 0

Benjamin caughman

Jan 8, 2016
OR
Visit site
✟7,832.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Engaged
Luke 6:24-26 New International Version (NIV)

24 “But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
for you will go hungry.
26 Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you,
for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.

Why? Mammon is evil the Rich should take what they have and give enough away to help everyone they can while they live a modest humble life.
"24 woe to you who are rich, for you have your comfort now"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Benjamin caughman

Jan 8, 2016
OR
Visit site
✟7,832.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Engaged
What if we highlighted it this way instead?...

for you will go hungry.

:mmh:

Why? Mammon is evil the Rich should take what they have and give enough away to help everyone they can while they live a modest humble life.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why? Because the passage is clearly not just about money or the rich. :doh:

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Mammon is evil, yes, but Mammon is not money. Mammon is a demon that provokes people to love and/or venerate money. This is what Jesus was referring to when he said that one cannot serve both God and Mammon.

This is from a book written by a former witch-doctor who became a Christian (in Africa):
"I remember that one of my favorite gods that I met in the underworld city was Mammon — the spirit of gold. He is made of a gold-type substance and has one eye at the center of his forehead and marks on his head. He is the world’s most evil golden creature. He stands about eight feet tall. He walks like he has springs on his feet. He is a netherworld giant demigod, the spirit behind the money of the world. He rules in the lives of those dedicated to his name. He is in charge of Satan’s storehouse of money. He has his hands in every evil thing on the earth. He is very powerful and worshiped by those who want to rule the world. Mammon told me, “They are all joining Satan’s plan for a New World Government because of their greed for filthy lucre, passion, the lust for riches is the root of all evil.” His dark eyes darted greedily back and forth" (Witch Doctor and the Man, Bishop Samuel Vagalas Kanco)

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Acts 2:

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

and to add:

Luke 12:32-33 New International Version (NIV) - mentioned in the OP

32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

James 5 resonates a warning:

5 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. 2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.[a] 6 You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
None of that changes a thing, but it occurs to me that you probably missed the point of my post. It was that the passage referred to a lot more than just the rich, money, etc. -- but you chose to pretend that it did not. I think that's a mistake.

Reactions: talitha
Upvote 0

Benjamin caughman

Jan 8, 2016
OR
Visit site
✟7,832.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Engaged
Mammon is evil, yes, but Mammon is not money. Mammon is a demon that provokes people to love and/or venerate money. This is what Jesus was referring to when he said that one cannot serve both God and Mammon.

This is from a book written by a former witch-doctor who became a Christian (in Africa):
"I remember that one of my favorite gods that I met in the underworld city was Mammon — the spirit of gold. He is made of a gold-type substance and has one eye at the center of his forehead and marks on his head. He is the world’s most evil golden creature. He stands about eight feet tall. He walks like he has springs on his feet. He is a netherworld giant demigod, the spirit behind the money of the world. He rules in the lives of those dedicated to his name. He is in charge of Satan’s storehouse of money. He has his hands in every evil thing on the earth. He is very powerful and worshiped by those who want to rule the world. Mammon told me, “They are all joining Satan’s plan for a New World Government because of their greed for filthy lucre, passion, the lust for riches is the root of all evil.” His dark eyes darted greedily back and forth" (Witch Doctor and the Man, Bishop Samuel Vagalas Kanco)

"Give unto Ceaser what is ceasers and give unto YahWeh what is YahWeh's"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Folks, turn to 2 Timothy 2:15-16
Greetings all.

I have been researching and studying Christianity for a short while, and something that I'm confused about is the statement to sell all possessions and give to the poor. I am not a born again Christian, but I am seeking truth at this point in time, so hopefully someone can help me make some sense out of this.

Before I begin, I do want to make it clear that I have searched this forum and read various threads in regards to this subject, but I'm still confused. I'm using the KJV bible.

Luke 12:33: Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

Did Jesus mean to literally sell all of your possessions and give to the poor? There are various verses in the NT that reinforce this. Jesus told the young rich man that he could not be his disciple if he did not sell all of his possessions and follow him.

I'm far from a "rich" man. In fact, I live in a small 2 bedroom house that I got for 25k on foreclosure, I'm living on minimum wage, I own 2 cars, one of them being a 1934 Ford A model that I restored in my teens and the other being a 2003 Ford Taurus. I have basic cable TV(cheapest), 1.5meg internet service, 1 laptop. one iPod, a cellphone, and I own a DVD player and various DVDs. I try to live as cheaply as I can, and I donate what I have(if i have) left to local charities.

From the threads I've read regarding this, a lot of people said only if "God" tells you to sell your possessions, so my question is how do I know God is telling me to sell my things? I don't value my things a whole lot, I use them, I enjoy them, but not obsessed in any sense of the word with them as I could do without them, but they do bring me a form of pleasure.

I've already set up a will just in case something happens to me. My house and Ford Taurus is going to my sister, while my Ford A Model is going to my younger cousin who likes it. As far as I'm concerned, they already own them, I'm just using them.

I'm not feeling guilty about any of things I own. It's just I can't get any sense out of that quote from Luke 12:33. If I was to become a born again Christian, am I to retract the will and sell the possessions and give the money away? If I don't and leave things the way they are, am I going to hell? Am I to do away with TV/Internet and donate that money to the poor? Can I not be a true disciple of Christ unless I do this?

That about covers my concerns here. I'm sorry for the rant, but I really hope some can help me out here. Is the verse not to be taken literally? Am I to enjoy the things I have but not let them own me?

LOL I'm not sure how I managed to confuse myself so bad with this. Thanks in advance for any help, it is truly appreciated.

Be confused no more. This passage is not applicable to you. Period. Read 2 Timothy 2:15-16 in the KJV, where the translation is "rightly dividing the Word of Truth." Certain portions of scripture are intended for Hebrew folk, especially the 12 Apostles and the 70 or so disciples who went about proclaiming that Jesus was the promised Jewish Messiah.

The Apostle Paul, following his calling in Acts 9, lays it out for you. Read Romans and following. Skip James, just to avoid further confusion. Read the first 3 chapters of Revelation. Don't bother with chapters 4 through 20. You can pick up on it and James later.

This is the process of "rightly dividing" scripture.

Be blessed!!!

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think its a state of mind that is more important than money itself. As the bible says in 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Its the love of money that does the damage. You cant serve two masters money and God. I have had money and lost money. I think when a person makes money their God it can be a let down. Where as God says He wont let us down. As He says in
Matthew 6:25, 33 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Its hard to not get caught up in material things in a world that surrounds you with things. The temptation is to have what others have and to compete in this world because you may miss out or get caught out. But we have to trust God that He will give us all we need. What we need may be different to what this world thinks is important. I have learnt this from experience knowing that money and material processions dont give you true happiness.

I often wonder how some people who believe in God can justify having so many material thing's.Some religions have a lot of material wealth. I wonder if this is justified. There are many people going hungry and in need. Its a bit like the good Samaritan. Some just seem to turn a blind eye and justify that they shouldn't have top do anything because the person brought it on themselves. But I think Jesus said if there is a need then we should respond no matter what.

I think the world has become more materialistic as time has gone by. We can have anything now to make things easier. The young want everything without having to work for it. Parents want to give their kids everything they didn't have. So its harder to go against this. Everywhere you look there is someone trying to convince you of the need to have something otherwise your missing out. But there have been times especially in the last 20 years or so where the money system has collapsed. People have lost everything and many have been left devastated. If they placed all that importance on money and it disappears in an instant.

I believe that this is going to happen more and more and in the end money won't mean much anyway. A system that puts money and things before people will not work and will tumble again and again. When your hungry who cares about Gold or flash cars. All you want is a bite to eat so a piece of bread is worth a bag of gold. Afterall gold is just a rock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Benjamin caughman

Jan 8, 2016
OR
Visit site
✟7,832.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Engaged
I think its a state of mind that is more important than money itself. As the bible says in 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Its the love of money that does the damage. You cant serve two masters money and God. I have had money and lost money. I think when a person makes money their God it can be a let down. Where as God says He wont let us down. As He says in
Matthew 6:25, 33 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Its hard to not get caught up in material things in a world that surrounds you with things. The temptation is to have what others have and to compete in this world because you may miss out or get caught out. But we have to trust God that He will give us all we need. What we need may be different to what this world thinks is important. I have learnt this from experience knowing that money and material processions dont give you true happiness.

I often wonder how some people who believe in God can justify having so many material thing's.Some religions have a lot of material wealth. I wonder if this is justified. There are many people going hungry and in need. Its a bit like the good Samaritan. Some just seem to turn a blind eye and justify that they shouldn't have top do anything because the person brought it on themselves. But I think Jesus said if there is a need then we should respond no matter what.

I think the world has become more materialistic as time has gone by. We can have anything now to make things easier. The young want everything without having to work for it. Parents want to give their kids everything they didn't have. So its harder to go against this. Everywhere you look there is someone trying to convince you of the need to have something otherwise your missing out. But there have been times especially in the last 20 years or so where the money system has collapsed. People have lost everything and many have been left devastated. If they placed all that importance on money and it disappears in an instant.

I believe that this is going to happen more and more and in the end money won't mean much anyway. A system that puts money and things before people will not work and will tumble again and again. When your hungry who cares about Gold or flash cars. All you want is a bite to eat so a piece of bread is worth a bag of gold. Afterall gold is just a rock.
*starts the slow clap to awesome clapping storm*

Well said

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason Jesus asked that man to sell everything he had is because :
Luke 18:23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was VERY RICH.
And Jesus did not say this to you.

However The Rich like Job who was blessed even richer by God after his tribulation because he was not attached to his Wealth and family.

May Jesus bless you all HalleluYAH

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

However The Rich like Job who was blessed even richer by God after his tribulation because he was not attached to his Wealth and family.

Yeah but we have to be careful because there is a fine line between having that wealth and not getting caught up in it. Things are different today and there is more materialism around. I am sure Job was a special sort of man and he was strong for God. But many who say they can handle having things and still be dedicated to God are fooling themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Benjamin caughman

Jan 8, 2016
OR
Visit site
✟7,832.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Engaged

Everything you give up for his sake will be given back to you ten fold

Upvote 0