• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Self Defense

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Lord'sWarrior, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Sammy-San

Sammy-San Newbie

+789
    Non-Denom
    Single
    What makes these two situations different?

2. Poppyseed78

Poppyseed78 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,272
    Christian
    Married
    Well, the biggest thing is that the women going in for abortions were doing it willingly. Ultimately, they made the choice to kill their unborn babies. The doctor was the means to do it, but they could have found other ways.

In the other scenario, the child would have been kidnapped against her will. It was not her choice to be kidnapped.

I'm not really interested in splitting hairs over this.

3. Sammy-San

Sammy-San Newbie

+789
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Post edited.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  4. Sammy-San

Sammy-San Newbie

+789
    Non-Denom
    Single
    What about the people who fought King David's armies when he wanted to get more land from them? Or a soldier who goes out of his way to kill people to reach his goal, without witnessing to them?

5. Divide

Divide Well-Known Member

+751
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I do not understand this sort of thinking or mindset. What about your charge? ie those you protect, family, wife kids, etc..?

I've actually been a pistol carrier for 30+ years now, and never have shot anyone. I've only had to draw it twice. Once against the home invader, and once against a dog attack. One warning shot in the grass for the dog was enough to turn the attack. Praise God the next day he had a brand new chain! (The owner heard the shot).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. Adstar

Adstar Well-Known Member

+1,345
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I rely on the protection of the LORD... If it is the LORD's will for me to be killed then so be it.. His will be done... If there is no avenue for me to flee then i accept death..

7. Divide

Divide Well-Known Member

+751
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Well...me too. But I still have a sling and a few rocks.

There's still lotsa lotsa lotsa room for faith and needing God's protection, even with a sling!

8. Adstar

Adstar Well-Known Member

+1,345
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    From the teachings of Jesus and the NT scriptures i just cannot justify protecting my faulty short life in this fallen world by ending the life of someone else.. If someone kills me then i will be in a far better place,, to die is a release from this gulag world into paradise..

9. Divide

Divide Well-Known Member

+751
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Well generally speaking, me too (to die is to gain), but...he who turns the other cheek too far...gets it in the neck.

If the Holy Spirit tells, don't resist, ok. If He tells me, fight...I will. Sometimes I feel led to carry, sometimes I feel led to not carry.

10. Adstar

Adstar Well-Known Member

+1,345
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    His will be done...

11. Poppyseed78

Poppyseed78 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,272
    Christian
    Married
    If it was just me, then I would welcome death.

But there is another life in my care. I would fight tooth and nail to protect my child.

12. Sammy-San

Sammy-San Newbie

+789
    Non-Denom
    Single
    How do you apply that principle to the people who died in vietnam and iraq?

13. Blessed Each Day

Blessed Each Day Active Member Supporter

+463
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    From which side? In either case, you'd have to look at every soldier INDIVIDUALLY; you can't just lump them all together, as each could be fighting for a different cause.

14. Sammy-San

Sammy-San Newbie

+789
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Nevermind.

The idea that people who know each other and have disputes force their people to kill each other, who may not want anything to do with each other, is what war is.

15. Blessed Each Day

Blessed Each Day Active Member Supporter

+463
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    That particular war was to stop the spread of communism, which had been responsible for hundreds of millions of deaths, so I think action taken to prevent its spread was appropriate (I have no Scripture verses to quote so I apologize for that) but the problem I have is that there was no glory to God. The US didn't go to war to glorify God, and they surely didn't (I generalize "they" meaning bureaucrats not citizens) care about the millions of lives lost to communism, it was purely an economic war to hedge the US against communism's influence on capitalism.

16. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member

+2,987
    Messianic
    Single
    Turning the other cheek is in regard to an honor/shame challenge and has absolutely nothing to do with no defending yourself if you're mugged.

17. discipler7

discipler7 Well-Known Member

+317
    Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
    Christian
    Single
    Turning the other cheek, loving your enemy, plucking out your eyes and chopping off your limbs, walking the extra mile and lending to all who ask(MATTHEW.5:17-48) are not actual commandments/laws of God. Cf; Love your neighbor/friend as yourself and hate your enemy - still applies to Christians and Jews.

You only do the above foolishness if you wanna be saved from hell without Christ, like the Pharisees who rejected Jesus as the Christ/Messiah.

At ROMANS.12:19-21 and 13:1, Paul commanded the early Christians to not resist the powerful Jewish Temple authorities and instead bless them, so that God would exact vengeance on their behalf and heap coals of fire on the persecutors'/prosecutors' heads.
    ... A day is coming soon when the powerful world's government will begin persecuting/prosecuting Christians.

18. Divide

Divide Well-Known Member

+751
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    They're under authority so are blameless before God.

19. Sammy-San

Sammy-San Newbie

+789
    Non-Denom
    Single
    what about post 26? Is that why self defense is different from those situations?

20. Divide

Divide Well-Known Member

+751
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Abortion violence? Uhh...I don't know. I haven't thought about abortion violence much or followed it with interest, nor ever been party to a girl's abortion...

Since you ask...hmmm...aren't most doctors a private practice type of thing? Their own boss?

I could be wrong about that, I'm no doctor. But my gut feeling is...no. Not the same as being a soldier under authority.