Seeking a supernatural encounter with God but failing miserably time and time again

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
How can we discern if a experience comes from God, Satan or if it is just our mind playing tricks?

When a person is born again, they have their spirit renewed by the blood of Jesus, and also a portion of The Holy Spirit is placed within them. This is why true born again Christians are changed, they have The Holy Spirit's nature within them instead of a fallen one. We are no longer dominated by a sinful nature.

With that portion of GOD within you, you are now always connected with GOD. That is where GOD will speak to you and lead you in life now. Over time we learn how to discern that voice inside of us better and reject the wrongful thoughts that might be thrown at us.

That is about the best way I can explain it.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How can we discern if a experience comes from God, Satan or if it is just our mind playing tricks?

Discernment. If you are hearing from God, specifically, it will always line up with Scripture. You can also pray for confirmation.

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,475.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The "high" many get from a supernatural connection with God is (to them) very addictive and withdrawal from it is hard for some to get through they often freak out when suddenly the plug is pulled on their God "fix". Some people once they get a supernatural experience want another and another and focus on it instead of learning from the Bible about God. Most of us don't have supernatural experience with God at all and if you can't believe in God without one chances are you may not continue to believe in him if the supernatural doesn't continue on and on.

There is nothing wrong feeling something from God, it has nothing to do with euphoria or something like that or drugs. You should not discard these kind of experiences as something bad in some way, i'm sure the apostles had them all the time. God does nothing wrong all he does is good, and being touched by God himself can be life changing.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
There is nothing wrong feeling something from God, it has nothing to do with euphoria or something like that or drugs. You should not discard these kind of experiences as something bad in some way, i'm sure the apostles had them all the time. God does nothing wrong all he does is good, and being touched by God himself can be life changing.
I agree there is nothing wrong with feeling something but the reality is nobody I know of has a constant intense feeling from God, sooner or later it dies down or even goes away and there must be a reason it isn't there 24/7 and I believe that in this world where we attacked by Satan all the time we have to as much seek God and with it have that feeling and also defend against Satan and not have the feeling likewise. Those who rely on the Holy Spirit and feelings to rescue them if it were so we would never see Jesus himself having to recite scripture and be under intense attack from Satan. Those who get "hooked" on the feelings are often lost when attacked and the feelings aren't there and like a kite they are blown around in spiritual winds and not grounded in their faith but rather feeling their way around in the dark and often like a moth attracted to a light bulb or a bug zapper.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I agree there is nothing wrong with feeling something but the reality is nobody I know of has a constant intense feeling from God, sooner or later it dies down or even goes away and there must be a reason it isn't there 24/7 and I believe that in this world where we attacked by Satan all the time we have to as much seek God and with it have that feeling and also defend against Satan and not have the feeling likewise. Those who rely on the Holy Spirit and feelings to rescue them if it were so we would never see Jesus himself having to recite scripture and be under intense attack from Satan. Those who get "hooked" on the feelings are often lost when attacked and the feelings aren't there and like a kite they are blown around in spiritual winds and not grounded in their faith but rather feeling their way around in the dark and often like a moth attracted to a light bulb or a bug zapper.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some background to my question:
  • I'm a truth seeker. I come from a scientific mindset background, but the last couple years I've been intensely researching about the supernatural and the spirit realm. I've watched testimonies from all kinds of religions, including testimonies from people who practiced witchcraft, the occult, Satanism, Hindu mystics, New Agers, Kundalini awakening, Reiki healers, paranormal investigators, people who have used Ouija boards, and of course, testimonies from Christians, baptism in the Holy Spirit, Christophanies, healing miracles, gifts of the spirit, words of knowledge, speaking in tongues (including unknown foreign languages), demonic possessions, exorcisms, etc. All this has led to me conclude that the spirit realm has to exist.
  • I believe that supernatural encounters with God are possible. As I just said, I've watched tons of testimonies, including first-hand accounts of powerful encounters with the Creator. To give you an idea, here are some notable examples: example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4, example 5, example 6, example 7, example 8, example 9, example 10, example 11, example 12, example 13, example 14, example 15, example 16, example 17, example 18, example 19, example 20, example 21.
I'm currently at a position in which I'm extremely obsessed with knowing the truth first-hand. As I already said, I've watched tons of testimonies, but after almost two years of doing the same, I'm starting to see no point in storing more and more anecdotal information in my head if I don't live out these things by myself. I know a lot about God (theory), but I don't know God (personal experience/testimony), if that makes sense. So my obvious next step is to seek God, to seek an encounter with Him. Unfortunately, every time I try, I keep failing miserably. I know that the key ingredients to seek God are consistent 1) prayer, 2) fasting, 3) reading the Bible, 4) obedience, 5) a life of holiness, 6) having faith, and of course 7) repentance and having accepted Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior. I know the theory. Intellectually speaking, things are quite clear to me. The problem is that I'm struggling to implement the theory successfully.

There are many distractions, temptations and weaknesses that are making it extremely hard for me to achieve a significant streak in which I successfully implement the 7 points I listed above. I keep messing up all the time and I'm not getting results. God still appears abstract and very distant to me, and when I read the Bible and the stories of the prophets, the apostles, the early Church, or when I remind myself of the testimonies that I've watched (like the ones I listed above), I feel like a total failure, trapped, unable to achieve any kind of spiritual breakthrough.

One thing that I would love to do is to have like a serious period of seeking God with prayer and fasting for, say, 7 days in a row, without any distractions, just full-time seeking God, but the problem is that there are always distractions, responsibilities, things that take away my time, and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. Then I go back to watching more testimonies to regain motivation, but at the end of day, that's just more intellectual information for my head, but what is the point of wasting my life away with hours and hours of investigation and watching endless testimonies if, at the end of the day, it doesn't translate into an actual, real encounter with God?

I seriously need a spiritual breakthrough and I've got no idea what to do about it.

Note: I'm posting this on the sign gifts subforum because I'm seeking advice from people who believe in the supernatural, and most of the testimonies I've watched involve supernatural experiences.

I know this is somewhat of an older post, but I have been searching the site for answers and I ran across your post.

We are told to ask for the Holy Spirit of God in Luke 11:11-13. God will treat you like a child, just as a human father treats his son/daughter. He will impart the Power of the Holy Spirit to you. That's the supernatural encounter you are speaking about. When you experience the Holy Spirit, you do truly experience a supernatural encounter. It's not like on TV. It's real.

My experience: During those time I have encountered the Power of the Holy Spirit, it was always when I was very, very humble. The Holy Spirit is very sensitive, and His Power will be withdrawn if we grieve Him.

In Humility: One day, I was lying on the floor, and had quieted my mind so deeply, and my focus was on Jesus. My entire body had just relaxed, and apparently, without my knowing it, love rose up for Christ in my heart. When I got up off the floor, Christ was in my room in the person of the Holy Spirit. Everything was different. I knew He was there because He made it known to me. I said, "Jesus" you are here! I was no longer tired, lazy, afraid, I had strength, the entire room and my entire self was lit up with love, patience, calm, joy, happiness, everything good about Christ was present. I was excited and allowed Jesus to walk me through all the things I had problems with that day. Jesus took me by the hand and it was an extremely wonderful experience.

There have been many many times I have experience powerful encounters with the Holy Spirit, and each time I must say I was in full humility!

That's the only way we can experience the Power of the Holy Spirit. We must be humble. Don't let anyone tell you that God won't give you the Holy Spirit, which is the Sprit of Christ. We already have the earnest of the Spirit, 2 Corinthians 1:22, that seals us for our inheritance in the Kingdom, Ephesians 1:13, and Ephesians 4:30, when we believe in Christ. However, we don't always experience the filling up of the Holy Spirit's Power because we grieve him if we have pride. If we don't understand we are acting out of pride, we might never experience God's beautiful Spirit, because the Holy Spirit is very sensitive. We truly need the Power of the Holy Spirit as Christians to be able to subdue our flesh, that is, put off the old man, Ephesians 4:22, and be renewed in the mind, Ephesians 4:23, and put on the new man, Ephesians 4:24, which is after God in righteousness and holiness (The Holy Spirit).

The reason the Spirit don't come is because we are not humble enough. A person's truly humble spirit will cause the Holy Spirit to come into your heart. And the proof is you are not the same person, He subdues the flesh, and He brings His miracles with Power. That's been my experience!

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
  • I'm a truth seeker. I come from a scientific mindset background, but the last couple years I've been intensely researching about the supernatural and the spirit realm. I've watched testimonies from all kinds of religions, including testimonies from people who practiced witchcraft, the occult, Satanism, Hindu mystics, New Agers, Kundalini awakening, Reiki healers, paranormal investigators, people who have used Ouija boards, and of course, testimonies from Christians, baptism in the Holy Spirit, Christophanies, healing miracles, gifts of the spirit, words of knowledge, speaking in tongues (including unknown foreign languages), demonic possessions, exorcisms, etc. All this has led to me conclude that the spirit realm has to exist.
  • I believe that supernatural encounters with God are possible. As I just said, I've watched tons of testimonies, including first-hand accounts of powerful encounters with the Creator. To give you an idea, here are some notable examples: example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4, example 5, example 6, example 7, example 8, example 9, example 10, example 11, example 12, example 13, example 14, example 15, example 16, example 17, example 18, example 19, example 20, example 21.
I'm currently at a position in which I'm extremely obsessed with knowing the truth first-hand. As I already said, I've watched tons of testimonies, but after almost two years of doing the same, I'm starting to see no point in storing more and more anecdotal information in my head if I don't live out these things by myself. I know a lot about God (theory), but I don't know God (personal experience/testimony), if that makes sense. So my obvious next step is to seek God, to seek an encounter with Him. Unfortunately, every time I try, I keep failing miserably. I know that the key ingredients to seek God are consistent 1) prayer, 2) fasting, 3) reading the Bible, 4) obedience, 5) a life of holiness, 6) having faith, and of course 7) repentance and having accepted Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior. I know the theory. Intellectually speaking, things are quite clear to me. The problem is that I'm struggling to implement the theory successfully.

There are many distractions, temptations and weaknesses that are making it extremely hard for me to achieve a significant streak in which I successfully implement the 7 points I listed above. I keep messing up all the time and I'm not getting results. God still appears abstract and very distant to me, and when I read the Bible and the stories of the prophets, the apostles, the early Church, or when I remind myself of the testimonies that I've watched (like the ones I listed above), I feel like a total failure, trapped, unable to achieve any kind of spiritual breakthrough.

One thing that I would love to do is to have like a serious period of seeking God with prayer and fasting for, say, 7 days in a row, without any distractions, just full-time seeking God, but the problem is that there are always distractions, responsibilities, things that take away my time, and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. Then I go back to watching more testimonies to regain motivation, but at the end of day, that's just more intellectual information for my head, but what is the point of wasting my life away with hours and hours of investigation and watching endless testimonies if, at the end of the day, it doesn't translate into an actual, real encounter with God?

I seriously need a spiritual breakthrough and I've got no idea what to do about it.

Note: I'm posting this on the sign gifts subforum because I'm seeking advice from people who believe in the supernatural, and most of the testimonies I've watched involve supernatural experiences.
The greatest supernatural encounter with God is being enlightened by the Holy Spirit to the truth of the Gospel, and the ability to believe it, and the endowment of saving faith to fully receive Jesus Christ as Saviour. Nothing else that you can experience in your walk in the Spirit can surpass that.

If you are looking for some kind a sensory experience that makes you feel that you are in the presence of God in a special way, don't hold your breath. It won't happen from the Holy Spirit. The Christian life consists in the slow and steady growth in grace and the knowledge of God through study and experience in Scripture knowledge.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My most recent breakthrough in research in this area is that the difference between how God connects to us, and the occult connects to us is the same difference between the Trinity and Modalism.

If you are compatible with God's mode of connection, the occult cannot connect to you and vice versa.

Some people try to force an event with God and end up doing something occult using their will by mistake. As Solomon's Song says, don't rush love.

Upvote 0

LeGato

LCMS/Crypto-Amish
Nov 17, 2021
Neuschwabenland
✟14,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

You don't seek it. He will give you the encounter when it is time.

Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have heard Marlyn Hickey said :

When some people say,” I’m praying for miracles,” they are really talking about wishful thinking or a vague hope that things will get better. Others, however, mean that they are asking God to intervene based on the realities of His promises. There is a big difference!

How we have been thinking ?
We should stop wishful thinking or vague hope. Let us God hear of our faith ! Let Him answers us, for His promises are Yes and Amen in Christ Jesus.

To God the Father be thanksgiving through Christ. Amen

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What happens if He thinks you're too demanding and decides "no"? Sometimes a deep desire to have something is no more than taking your child through the no-candy line check-out at the grocery store.
If a person is desperately seeking a supernatural experience, the devil is always around to give them one.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
He promises we will find Him when we seek Him with ALL our heart.
I agree. The priority is that we seek God Himself so that we start having fellowship with Him in the Spirit. A Spirit-filled believer has the Holy Spirit indwelling their spirit. Because it a Spirit to spirit relationship it is below our conscious senses. But the result is that we have a strong and sure awareness that we are having fellowship with God. I can't explain how that happens, but when a person is in fellowship with God, they know it. In my view, a person who is fellowshipping with God through prayer and the Word, then one doesn't have to seek for supernatural experiences because they are having the closest fellowship possible through the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree. The priority is that we seek God Himself so that we start having fellowship with Him in the Spirit. A Spirit-filled believer has the Holy Spirit indwelling their spirit. Because it a Spirit to spirit relationship it is below our conscious senses. But the result is that we have a strong and sure awareness that we are having fellowship with God. I can't explain how that happens, but when a person is in fellowship with God, they know it. In my view, a person who is fellowshipping with God through prayer and the Word, then one doesn't have to seek for supernatural experiences because they are having the closest fellowship possible through the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Is this "fellowship with the Spirit" different from being "filled with the Spirit"?

What about "the baptism in the Holy Spirit"?

What about "being led by the Spirit"?

What about "the gifts of the Spirit"?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is this "fellowship with the Spirit" different from being "filled with the Spirit"?

I think you need to ask less questions and do more studying for yourself. Focus on one topic instead of 10.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

The baptism with the Spirit is when the Spirit first enters the believer's spirit. Being led by the Spirit is walking in the light with Christ and this is done by faith. The gifts of the Spirit are exercised through faith after the Spirit makes it certain to us that He is energising us to manifest a gift. This is all done through faith, and not through our five senses. The Scripture says that those who are in the flesh cannot please God. Being in the flesh is dependence on the five senses. Being in the Spirit is walking by faith in the promises in God's Word.

Upvote 0

Servant78

Mar 4, 2022
Bali
✟31,644.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Imho if you pray for people who treat you bad and forgive thir sins like Jesus, then you have already encountered with invisible God inside your heart.

Upvote 0