Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So what exactly does a "resolution" do?? And why should we care about whether one is made or not?

They are a way of telling all Americans that, despite our differences, we all respect each other.

Congress passes hundreds, perhaps thousands of them a year. They are fun to read because often the groups and individuals are rather obscure. But often they are not.

99.9% of the time, everyone votes "yea!"

In the case of this resolution a few Democrats decided to make an issue of it.

Amanda Carpenter has the roll call here

If you go to Thomas:

http://thomas.loc.gov/

Select a Representative and press "GO" you'll probably see that your representative has introduced some resolution acknowledging or honoring someone.

Diana Gette, who voted against this Christmas resolution introduced these measures:

H.RES.434 : Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that Pasqualine J. Lawson of Denver, Colorado, an African American woman who valiantly served her country in the Army Air Corps during World War II and serving as a hospital neuropsychiatric team member, was unfairly passed over for promotion and should have held the grade of technical sergeant, rather than private first class, upon her discharge from the service on January 2, 1946.

H.RES.586 : Congratulating East High School of Denver, Colorado, on winning the 2007 "We the People: The Citizen and the Constitution" national competition.

Jim McDermott who also voted against this Christmas resolution introduced these measures:

H.RES.607 : Extending best wishes to the people of India as they celebrate the 60th anniversary of India's independence from the British Empire.

H.R.2181 : -- Private Bill; For the relief of Mohuiddin A. K. M. Ahmed.

H.R.949 : To extend Federal recognition to the Duwamish Tribe, and for other purposes.

Charles Rangel (D-NY) who voted for the Christmas resolution introduced this resolution:

H.CON.RES.27 : Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that James Brown, also known as the "God Father of Soul", should be recognized for his contributions to American music as one of the greatest and most influential entertainers of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s as an American cultural icon.

Someone in Congress must not like the music of James Brown. But wouldn't it be mean spirited to vote against Representative Rangel's resolution because of that or because you have issues with the other side?

Same with the Christmas resolution. Why not just vote "yea"?

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If its true, its rather ironic that you can stand up and say Islam is a great world-wide religion, but then look at Christianity as not being one.

Granted, I'm sure there is some kind of spin on this---I would still prefer to hear a statement from the politician(s) who voted against the Christian cause. Regardless though it was passed and we should be thankful of that.

I know that Christians in the United States and few other countries are not be persecuted---but it's not the same way in all countries and that's what we should be looking out for. When you can't even share a Bible with someone because you will be arrested, not have a trial, and be shot, it really is disgusting and sad.

We're lucky to have this country, even with the small issues that arise when we want to publicly show our faith. What we go through here in the US is nothing compared to what I've heard and seen other Christians go through in other nations.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What would you say is the heart of the matter?

The heart is their statement by absense of a vote or even affirming Islam is a great world religion, but Christianity is not given the same merit because ppl might think Christianity should rule...
:doh:
Rather Christmas does not mete the measured recognition that Ramadan does.
Irony?
Its not the worldwide proscution of Christainity that was the problem for the 9 who stood and did the right thing by voting against this resoltion.

It was the part of the resolution that stated the Christmas had special status in the American culture.

THAT part of the resolution cut way to close the bone of establishing a specific religion and those 9 stood up and said such.

They deserve to be commended for doing it in the face of knee jerk right wing neo con marytr me now Christian spin.

Knee jerk?
Um, you didnt happen to notice these same wonderful folks voted for Hinduism and Islam, but had to make a statement on Christianity.

That is biased and i dont think these ppl would be in the position they are in if their states knew that.

Same with the Christmas resolution. Why not just vote "yea"?
Exactly. :wave:
If its true, its rather ironic that you can stand up and say Islam is a great world-wide religion, but then look at Christianity as not being one.

:amen:

Granted, I'm sure there is some kind of spin on this---I would still prefer to hear a statement from the politician(s) who voted against the Christian cause. Regardless though it was passed and we should be thankful of that.

I know that Christians in the United States and few other countries are not be persecuted---but it's not the same way in all countries and that's what we should be looking out for. When you can't even share a Bible with someone because you will be arrested, not have a trial, and be shot, it really is disgusting and sad.

We're lucky to have this country, even with the small issues that arise when we want to publicly show our faith. What we go through here in the US is nothing compared to what I've heard and seen other Christians go through in other nations.
:hug:

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh an another thing. Complaining about the politicians isn’t gonna do squat. For those who are outraged over tolerance for everything but Christ, the only way to change that is by immersing yourself in the Catholic devotional life, day in and day out, and encourage other Christians to do the same. Become more devout, encourage others to do so. Go to Mass every day, pray without ceasing, stop at noon with whatever you’re doing when those church bells ring, and drop down and do the Angelus. Don’t complain about the politicians, get an old fashioned revival started. The reason that the muslims et al are gaining so much support is because they’re devout, same with other religions. There are too many luke warm Christians.

Reactions: Lynn
Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is not disturbing, all this does is restate the obvious, something we've always known, that Democrats are largely intolerant of Evangelical Fundamentalism . . .

They weren't too happy with Catholic nominees to the Federal bench either. Remember Charles Schumer's warnings of "theocrats"?

Let's not forget this either. Or this. Or this

Btw...a Catholic introduced the Christmas resolution.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see what the big deal is here. 195 Democrats voted yes, 9 voted no, and 9 voted to abstain. So, there's a very small radical fringe of the Democratic Party that is a little uncomfortable with making an expression of support for the Christian religion from the floor of Congress -- not very significant news, really.

What is significant is that something like 95% of Democrats voted yes to this resolution. So, we can see that, of nationally elected Democrats, the party as a whole believes Christianity and the Christian faith should be recognized as important by an act of Congress. If anything, this proves the point that a lot of folks are making, that the Democratic Party is not anti-Christianity, most Democrats are in fact Christians or at least respect the Christian faith and Christian holidays.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Voeglin for all intents purposes, what you've posted is considered Evangelical Fundamentalism in the USA, it amouts to outspoken Christianity. That's why I am sayin-- Do rosaries in the streets, public libraries, doctors offices, and put faith into action other ways, ways which will make it impossible to shun.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
simple....let's say some thing warm and fuzzy and do nothing = resolution ... doesn't cost me anything ...

at some point the tsunami back lash of disgust, distrust, and we must will hit these sanctimonious children of unmarried parents , right where they live ... pocket book .. and then their ears and mouth will start to work properly ... [ hey senator, do you remember custer and the little big horn?]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Besides praying, which i agree is important, ppl have to be aware of their surroundings.
So maybe by prayer, eyes are opened. ;)

Fishy, its not only about Dems, which it just so happens it was the Dems, but it is the way the 9 snubbed Christmas.

Now be honest...if this was the Republicans, it would be a big deal.

Partisan aside... it just donest faze anyone, hence the problem.

Take off the party goggles and look at the issue.
Maybe if I blanked out the D on the names or left the names blank and C&P, and let ppl decide...it would be genuinely upsetting that anyone had to make a 'stand' against just saying yea.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Besides praying, which i agree is important, ppl have to be aware of their surroundings.
So maybe by prayer, eyes are opened. ;)

Fishy, its not only about Dems, which it just so happens it was the Dems, but it is the way the 9 snubbed Christmas.

Now be honest...if this was the Republicans, it would be a big deal.

Partisan aside... it just donest faze anyone, hence the problem.

Take off the party goggles and look at the issue.
Maybe if I blanked out the D on the names or left the names blank and C&P, and let ppl decide...it would be genuinely upsetting that anyone had to make a 'stand' against just saying yea.
You're just like a crab with a chicken neck ---

You're just not going let go, are you

Upvote 0

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Kiawah Island, Charleston South Carolina
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
whether they are devout christians or slippery snakes it does not make a difference to me what our politicians say publicly about christianity, i don't trust their opinions... i think it's better to put our faith in Christ and His Church and remember that while we must obey authority, our authority just happens to be a really old piece of paper and our politicians (though they act like it) are actually our servants... and we should treat them with great suspicion.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is possible that some voted against it due to this line:

[FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]the role played by... Christianity in the founding of the United States[/FONT][FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]

This would be pretty much the only difference between the two bills, and some would disagree with the statement.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So maybe by prayer, eyes are opened.
If you want to change it, don't talk about it in an internet forum. Wear it on your sleeve out in the public eye, like those of other faiths do. Make a huge deal out of when you go to worship at Mass and receive the Eucharist. Do the stations of the cross every week, fast, do the liturgy of the hours and nightly vespers. Wear a scapular. Tell people WHY you do it. Give up World Nut Daily and all of the other e-rags that drone on about corrupt politicians and go on retreat at a convent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that our politicians waste time passing or not passing meaningless resolutions when soldiers are dying in Iraq and babies are being slaughtered by abortion? To me that's the real problem an article like this should call light to.

Reactions: Snowbunny
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that our politicians waste time passing or not passing meaningless resolutions when soldiers are doing in Iraq and babies are being slaughtered by abortion? To me that's the real problem an article like this should call light to.

Me. This crud is not the reason we have a government, and I think the only attention given to it should be to ask "what are you guys even discussing this for?"

Reactions: vle045
Upvote 0

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Kiawah Island, Charleston South Carolina
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that our politicians waste time passing or not passing meaningless resolutions when soldiers are dying in Iraq and babies are being slaughtered by abortion? To me that's the real problem an article like this should call light to.

si, absolutely si!

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Well as much as I might agree with you, this subject has generated 4 pages of discussion so far in this forum alone. So if this is any indication......

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.