Secular music, ok or not?

Do you think it's ok to listen to music other than Christian?

• Absolutely not, would Jesus?

• As long as the lyrics are clean.

• Depends completely on the artist.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Christ has set us free. It's not right or wrong, follow the leading of the Spirit. Sometimes he'll tell you its ok sometimes he'll say stay away, depending on the situation, the person etc.

eg. in my church, the band members often listen to secular music like Beetles and others to study their music arrangements (they are after all world-class) and pick up a tip or two.

Personally, I do not like to listen to secular music becos its a lot of trash (lyrics, concepts, beliefs, etc) I can't help but listen out for the lyrics. So once it gets offensive and contradictory to the Word, I just get turned off and turn off the radio or switch to BBC

but that's me, it may be different for you esp if you are a music artiste. you cannot ignore secular music altogether.

:)

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
I listen to different types of music. Some i used to glorify God. Others, are used in future for my calling (i would listen to music and think of inspiring ideas) :).

I don't listen to many music. Not much R&B (not my style) but those big rock music stuff i don't find them interesting. Just me i guess :)

Upvote 0
I started to listen to only christian music three weeks ago. I found it hard at first. I occasionly switch the radio over to the popular stations and am shocked really how bad the lyrics are. Sex, depression, cheating, ect. (sins, sins, and more sins...) It's sickening. There are a lot of christain bands that sound like the other music I used to listen to. I personally love Third Day. Listen to whatever, it's your choice but if you really want to please God you will do away with the music with bad messages.
*Kay*

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm probably going to get everyone mad at me again, but here goes:

I believe it is a matter of conviction that is up to each person, and it isn't something we should judge anyone over, because it isn't what you see, hear, read, whatever that makes you more or less spiritual.

It is God working within you that makes you more spiritual, and your own flesh working within you that makes you less spiritual. It's an inner struggle that cannot be precisely measured by outside factors or other people.

And one more note: A conscience is like a smoke alarm. If it's so improperly tuned that it never buzzes even when 10 matches are held directly under it, you have a problem: but if it is so sensitive it blares at every particle of dust passing by, that is also a problem.

Upvote 0
I think secular music is okay as long as the musical lyrics are not against what God commands of believers.

For instance, some of the songs the younger generation listens to that suggests fornication, shacking up, and lusting after someone is probably not pleasing to God for a believer to listen to.

Now there are some songs that are secular and very nice to listen to and do not offend a believer's faith. I like Stevie Wonder for instance, I don't find his lyrics to be offensive to my faith.

I think it's just important to separate one's self. The bible speaks of believers being separate from the world.

Missy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
4th April 2003 at 05:25 AM Susan said this in Post #8

I'm probably going to get everyone mad at me again, but here goes:

I believe it is a matter of conviction that is up to each person, and it isn't something we should judge anyone over, because it isn't what you see, hear, read, whatever that makes you more or less spiritual.

It is God working within you that makes you more spiritual, and your own flesh working within you that makes you less spiritual. It's an inner struggle that cannot be precisely measured by outside factors or other people.

And one more note: A conscience is like a smoke alarm. If it's so improperly tuned that it never buzzes even when 10 matches are held directly under it, you have a problem: but if it is so sensitive it blares at every particle of dust passing by, that is also a problem.

I agree and disagree although I am not mad at you susan.  :)

I agree that we spend too much time saying this or that is bad while not looking inside ourselves and to God for the real answers.  I believe the Spirit guides us on different time tables and while for me listening to secular music might be very bad to you it might be okay.  This is because we are on different parts of the same road to total sanctification and glorification.  However after saying all that I think someone real close can become a spiritual mentor and lead someone inot a growing spiritual life as that person is lead by the spirit himself.  This spiritual mentor though only has the outside actions really to go by.  He can't see your thoughts. He can only go by what you tell him and by your actions.  So I think our actions do show our level of spirituality and others can see measure it somewhat but that the walk is different for each of us and the other people have to be really close to us and know what is going on in our lives and in our relationship with God.

Oh and I do not think secualr music is all that bad.  Some of it sure is but much of it is okay.  But then again I am still working on loving others and not being prideful so I do not have much time to worry about it too much.  (Thsi last sentence was not intended as  a flame against the starter of the thread or anoyone who has particpated in the thread thus far.)

Upvote 0
Im kind of narrow minded in my music, honestly. In heaven, Satan was the angel of what? Music and praise. I find that in a lot of secular music, I find a lot emotion rising up when I listen. I wont say its a sin to listen to non christian music, but...I believe there is a LOT of power in music.

What it really comes down to for me is this conviction I personally have. If it doesnt glorify God directly, I dont really listen to it. Why should I, when there is so much music that DOES? And its good music even! I believe what you put in is what you get out. If you put praise in....praise comes out. I want nothing more than to praise Him...in all I do, but especially in my music.

Upvote 0
happened to think about it from a different viewpoint after I posted...if its not a song I would write, I wont listen to it. I happen to be a musician of sorts (or perhaps just fancy myself one) and have written several dozen songs. One of them has been about someone besides my Saviour...it was the song I wrote, played and sung for my wife for our wedding.

Upvote 0

hotknikkels

™Barbarian Christian™
Feb 11, 2003
Goiânia, Goiás, Brasil
Visit site
✟1,061.00
Faith
Christian
Music was actually created by God for God. When I hear a love song by a secular artist (as long as the lyircs are clean), I can sing them to God. Also I love HipHop and I have many secular stuff, even though I have more Christian HipHop stuff. I like the HipHop which is thoughtful, but I hate Hiphop that promotes sex, drugs, and violence. So it swings both ways.

You also got to remember that rapping, singing, playing an instrument is a gift/ability. These don't come from Satan, he can't give gifts or abilites, only God can. So when you hear Eminem rapping, remember that it was God who gave him the ability to rap!!! How about that!!!?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.