Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I admit I do not have a hypothesis as to why.
That's kind of typical of the Levitical laws of cleanliness, they can be a little bizarre. I'm just not sure why sacrifices would be required, I get the idea she needs to clean herself up, obviously. A thanksgiving offering makes sense, but a lamb? Puzzling.

Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟992,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The book of Numbers according to the MEV is that its settings covered from when Moses was given God's decrees and statutes for the children of Israel at Sinai, and through the Israelites' journey to the Promised Land in Canaan, taking 40 years. And that like in the case of Leviticus, Exodus, and Genesis, Moses is also believed to be the writer of Numbers.
Also, to quote the summary from the MEV directly: "Numbers reveals God not only as the Holy One who cannot ignore rebellion or unbelief, but also as the God Who keeps His covenant and patiently provides for His people, even in their rebellion."

Day 53: Mar 22

Numbers 1 and 2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟992,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Day 58: Mar 27

Numbers 11 through 13

EDIT: ... Wow. Just three chapters ago the Israelites were complaining about having only really sweet bread - the manna that God literally supernaturally brought to them from the heavens, in fact - and no meat in the wilderness (I like to think I would have been quite content with manna all that time as good as Scripture previously made it out to be in quality, even without any meat, had I been there; curious if anyone else here ever thought the same =/ ). And now I get not one paragraph into the first chapter of tonight's reading to see that the children of Israel are already going crazy with despair over the report given by the spies concerning the people inhabiting Canaan that the Lord had already long promised to the Israelites:
Would that we had died in the land of Egypt! or would that we had died in this wilderness!

3 And wherefore doth Jehovah bring us unto this land, to fall by the sword? Our wives and our little ones will be a prey: were it not better for us to return into Egypt?

... Honestly, Israel, you have a far more direct, physical connection to God than any of us have here today, and He has even many a time taken care of your needs when you murmured and grumbled in the wilderness of Sin already. How much more proof do you need that He will provide and protect even now? And are you really going to be any better off in Egypt even if God chose to abandon you for this upcoming fight and you were driven back out by the "giants in the land" you are despairing in fear over this much?

Remembering the first Bible thread two years ago, I think I once lightly admonished Swan7 when we were reading through chapters like this about the Israelites' constant wavering between the true God and meaningless nonexistent gods of the peoples and lands they crossed paths with in their sordid history, or otherwise failing to show trust in God when He has always come through. When she questioned why the Israelites were in fact always displaying themselves to be "a stiff-necked people" (as God often spoke of them) when they had the benefit of being God's specially chosen people and everything at the time, I had said something in response like "well, perhaps we shouldn't judge the constant behavior of the Israelites in OT history, when you think about it, for, do we not often stray to idols ourselves in present day in a way, always having to come back to God at His admonishment? They may not be physical idols of foreign gods that we literally bow down to in worship, of course, but still, couldn't anything that takes our focus away from God in present day be considered an idol? So perhaps we are no less frequently guilty of this than the children of Israel were."

Well, going back over Numbers 14 after everything else so far like the incident described herein, I don't know now, @Swan7. Now I'm starting to think I may have been too tough on you in my response. It appears to me that here, specifically, the Israelites really do have a problem handling any amount of pressure. A few people claim to see giants in the land before them even though God has physically, verbally promised to give to them (after all the signs He had given them so far in the wilderness, no less, to prove that He not only exists but will provide for them personally as His chosen people), and they flip out immediately. As though suddenly, no questions asked, God hates them enough to leave them to die like dogs here at the edge of the Promised Land. (Yeah, I'll bet your slavery days in Egypt were so much better than this, children of Jacob.) They are being quite irrational right now, and give up hope and trust in God all too quickly.

.... Come on, what was so bad about sweet bread from heaven?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟992,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apparently I forgot to actually look at the part of the schedule that gives Day 59's reading before posting it here last night, because we were actually supposed to read Psalms 90 also, after Numbers 15. That's the first time just one chapter from another book shows up in the midst of the current book so far into this reading year, but again I assume it is because the event or situation referred to Psalm 90 is believed by the author of the schedule to be something that occurs between the time of Numbers 15 and Numbers 16. So, keep that in mind for today's reading when I include the part I forgot to post yesterday. :)

Day 60: Mar 29

Psalms 90 and Numbers 17

Upvote 0