Magnolia, AR
✟981,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Chapter 25 through 27 was kind of hard to get through as it keeps making me try to picture the scene of the court, the tabernacle, and the altars and ark therein that God commands Moses to have the craftsman among the Israelites make. Having to do measurements in my head, as they are put in terms of cubits and spans in the Bible and that's of course not the system we Americans use today. (For all I know they could still do in some Eastern countries, however.) Although thankfully I think pretty much any version of the Bible tells you in a footnote what they are in terms of feet, inches, pounds, and quarts.

.... We all really need to get into making the metric system more standard and universal, though, in my opinion. We'd all be better off in the longrun. ^_^

But, you know, all the talk of use of fine linens and gold in these chapters also calls to mind a particular hymn that my home church uses fairly often. I don't remember the title of it, but the primary lyrics may be familiar to you all.

Lord, you are more precious than silver.
Lord, you are more costly than gold.
Lord, you are more beautiful than diamonds.
And nothing I can desire compares to You.

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟146,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Chapter 25 through 27 was kind of hard to get through as it keeps making me try to picture the scene of the court, the tabernacle, and the altars and ark therein that God commands Moses to have the craftsman among the Israelites make. Having to do measurements in my head, as they are put in terms of cubits and spans in the Bible and that's of course not the system we Americans use today. (For all I know they could still do in some Eastern countries, however.) Although thankfully I think pretty much any version of the Bible tells you in a footnote what they are in terms of feet, inches, pounds, and quarts.

.... We all really need to get into making the metric system more standard and universal, though, in my opinion. We'd all be better off in the longrun. ^_^

But, you know, all the talk of use of fine linens and gold in these chapters also calls to mind a particular hymn that my home church uses fairly often. I don't remember the title of it, but the primary lyrics may be familiar to you all.

Lord, you are more precious than silver.
Lord, you are more costly than gold.
Lord, you are more beautiful than diamonds.
And nothing I can desire compares to You.
Yeah, I was trying to picture the scene too, but I couldn't very well, probably because of all the details. Especially because I couldn't remember how big a cubit is (my Bible says it somewhere in the footnotes but not in those chapters).

The metric system seems more confusing to me, but maybe that's just because I don't use it.

That's a lovely hymn! :)

Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I remember hearing before that Moses was shown Heaven / New Jerusalem, when he ascended Mount Sinai to meet with the Lord, and was told by God to model the tabernacle after it.
Exodus 25:9 said:
According to all that I show thee, the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the furniture thereof, even so shall ye make it.

It's also argued that the apostles Paul and John were taken up to Heaven and shown what it's like.
2 Corinthians 12:2 said:
I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know--God knows.
Revelation 4:2 said:
Immediately I was in the Spirit, and before me was a throne in heaven, and someone was sitting on it.

I think that's a testament to just how gracious and giving God really is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟981,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exodus 40:34-38 => I like the way this Book closes. The children of Israel have quite a long journey ahead of them to The Promised Land.

Exodus 40:20 => More importantly, I found something new here I had not noticed before, where it says Moses took the "testimony" and placed it into the ark, then attached the poles and put the mercy seat atop it. I wondered what this "testimony" was supposed to be, exactly, especially since the ark here has been called the ark of testimony in preceding chapters in the first place.

Well, the MEV tells me to refer back to Exodus 16:34 for this verse. And it turns out 16:34 is part of the story where the Israelites first grumbled to Moses about lack of food after leaving Egypt, wondering if God had led them out of Egypt simply to have them starve to death in the wilderness (which of course far be it that God would be so faithless, even if we are sometimes faithless to Him). Sure enough in response the Lord had sent an abundance of bread from the heavens, and the Israelites termed it manna. So going back a bit further to the passage of Exodus 16:31 and 32, it appears that the "testimony" Moses put into the ark in the final chapter of Exodus is the omer of manna that God had Moses command the people to save as a visible testimony of how He provided for them in the wilds.

Take heed at this story and learn from the Israelites mistake in their grumbling, brethren. God does not possess some sort of sick or sadistic sense of humor where He abandons those who have placed their trust in Christ. Even in times where it may seem as though He is not with you, and even all of your physical senses scream at you that He has obviously forsaken you ... NO MATTER WHAT, that is simply not true; God does indeed provide. :angel:

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟146,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Take heed at this story and learn from the Israelites mistake in their grumbling, brethren. God does not possess some sort of sick or sadistic sense of humor where He abandons those who have placed their trust in Christ. Even in times where it may seem as though He is not with you, and even all of your physical senses scream at you that He has obviously forsaken you ... NO MATTER WHAT, that is simply not true; God does indeed provide. :angel:
Very good point! I need to always remember this. :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟981,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I noticed at the end of Leviticus 1 God gave instructions for the sin offerings to not completely tear the animal sacrifice in two if the animal is an avian. Unlike for a bull.

This is similar to when God made the covenant with Abraham in Genesis 15:10. God had Abraham cut the goat and heifer to pieces, but not the pigeon and turtledove. I wonder what is the significance.

Upvote 0