USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Even the MEV doesn't seem to have a theory as to who specifically John was writing the letters of 2 and 3 John. :mmh:
According to the NAB, 2 John was written to an unknown Christian community and 3 John was written to a fellow believer named Gaius. It says that the letters of John were likely not written by the apostle John but by a scribe or disciple of an apostle in Ephesus at the end of the first century. It gives a similar explanation to the letters of Peter, that they were likely not written by him but by someone who knew him.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The Book of Revelation contains much extravagant symbolism which is not to be taken literally. The NAB's footnotes give explanations for the symbols which is helpful. According to its Introduction, we can not be completely certain whether the author of Revelation actually saw the visions or if they were used as literary conventions. Revelation was written at a time of crisis and persecution for Christians, and although it is an Apocalyptic Book, it also displays the battle between good and evil and assures us that Christ has already won and will overthrow Satan.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to the NAB, 2 John was written to an unknown Christian community and 3 John was written to a fellow believer named Gaius. It says that the letters of John were likely not written by the apostle John but by a scribe or disciple of an apostle in Ephesus at the end of the first century. It gives a similar explanation to the letters of Peter, that they were likely not written by him but by someone who knew him.

Yes, you are right about Gaius. Apparently I just didn't register the name as I was reading, but it was right there in the first verse of 3 John. ^_^

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
We did it! We've read all those Books of the Bible! :clap: Thank you again for doing this, SK. You motivated me to finally read through the Bible. :)

Since my Bible is a Catholic one, it contains a few more Books in the Old Testament not found in Protestant Bibles, which I'm going to read as well when I have time. It also has two more chapters of Daniel, some more chapters of Esther, and I believe one more chapter in another Book, all of which I already read.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We did it! We've read all those Books of the Bible! :clap: Thank you again for doing this, SK. You motivated me to finally read through the Bible. :)

Glad to be of service. You were more faithful than I was to it, actually. I often went several days behind in the last third or so of the year. :) So thank you for still taking my intent seriously and keeping up and letting me know of your support. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to end here; if you ever think of any observation or some question to discuss about anything we've read, feel free to speak up. ^-^

• Friendly
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0