USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I was wondering that too. :p My Bible's footnotes say that these verses are meant to be the bride's brothers saying these things about her when she was little.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs 10 contains the same phrase twice, I noticed, in both verse 6 and 11: "But violence covers the mouth of the wicked".

Since verse 11, at least, first says that the mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, and then contrasts with the mouth of the wicked, I wonder then if the above quote is stressed to say that the words of a wicked person will often incite violence instead of peace or edification and grace. And perhaps that violence can be either verbal or physical.

Upvote 0

Swords&Sunflowers

May 10, 2018
✟176,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Wow, just got through Song of Solomon. I highly suggest reading it and listening to it, because there are actually multiple people speaking per chapter. Those chapters were intense! Well, I mean, love is intense. I like this passage:
http://listen.bible.is/ENGKJV/Song/8/4
Song of Solomon 8:4
I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, that ye stir not up, nor awake my love, until he please.
It speaks of timing. Not to awaken love until the proper time. In fact, wasn't it Solomon who spoke about seasons in life?

LOL as for
Song of Solomon 8:8 We have a little sister, and she hath no breasts: what shall we do for our sister in the day when she shall be spoken for? 9If she be a wall, we will build upon her a palace of silver: and if she be a door, we will inclose her with boards of cedar.

there seem to be different meanings. Two of which are:

1. Could mean according to
Geneva Study Bible
{e} We have a little sister, and she hath no breasts: what shall we do for our sister in the day when she shall be spoken for?
(e) The Jewish Church speaks this of the Church of the Gentiles.

or

2. speaking of the little sister who is not yet ready for marriage. Someone in yahoo answers seemed to have a good explanation of it, although he did not cite sources, it sounds plausible...
"This passage is an allegory for a girl coming into maturity. As a little sister (e.g. an unmarried woman) she has "no breasts"; that is, has never borne children of her own and has never been with (had sex with) a man. The question is partly rhetorical and partly, "What can we do for our 'little sister'? What virtues of her can we declare?"

All women are different, and verse 9 acknowledges that however the "little sister" turns out, she'll be adorned with the best "silver" and "cedar", the most precious things that will make her appeal to the man she marries, the ultimate goal of the book."

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swords&Sunflowers

May 10, 2018
✟176,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I like these proverbs...good sayings of the contrast between good and evil.

Yes, very true and is very encouraging and inspiring. It makes us want to seek wisdom and understanding. Because without wisdom, knowledge is useless. Wisdom is the correct application of knowledge. In this day and age, it's interesting that people seek riches, but very few look for wisdom. And yet, here Solomon reminds us that wisdom is far more precious than any treasures. Many also do not care for wisdom and understanding, there is a "I do not care. It's my life and I do what I want when I feel it." - type of mentality, but as we can see in Proverbs, these mentality is not of God but is of the flesh and the consequences are ugly. Wisdom says to always ponder our steps, and to acknowledge God in all our choices. It makes me sad, when I see people suffering, but when find the reason of their suffering is because they are stubborn on something that they already know God said "no" to, and yet they despised instruction. It's really important to seek wisdom, I realized that there are times, I rely on my flesh or on feelings for guidance, and this leads me to wrong choices. But for those times that I stopped and really sought God in prayer, followed good council, read the Word for instructions, did not make rushed decisions, the outcomes were good. But yeah, feelings and wisdom can be at odd with each other, just like lust, as Solomon mentioned, it can flatter, there is a pull, but it's end is death. Lol sorry this got too long, I think I pondered too much again. Multipondered. LOL

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, very true and is very encouraging and inspiring. It makes us want to seek wisdom and understanding. Because without wisdom, knowledge is useless. Wisdom is the correct application of knowledge. In this day and age, it's interesting that people seek riches, but very few look for wisdom. And yet, here Solomon reminds us that wisdom is far more precious than any treasures. Many also do not care for wisdom and understanding, there is a "I do not care. It's my life and I do what I want when I feel it." - type of mentality, but as we can see in Proverbs, these mentality is not of God but is of the flesh and the consequences are ugly. Wisdom says to always ponder our steps, and to acknowledge God in all our choices. It makes me sad, when I see people suffering, but when find the reason of their suffering is because they are stubborn on something that they already know God said "no" to, and yet they despised instruction. It's really important to seek wisdom, I realized that there are times, I rely on my flesh or on feelings for guidance, and this leads me to wrong choices. But for those times that I stopped and really sought God in prayer, followed good council, read the Word for instructions, did not make rushed decisions, the outcomes were good. But yeah, feelings and wisdom can be at odd with each other, just like lust, as Solomon mentioned, it can flatter, there is a pull, but it's end is death. Lol sorry this got too long, I think I pondered too much again. Multipondered. LOL
I totally agree with this, well said! :)

Haha another new name! Or maybe that should give you a name, like "Swords&Pondering". ^_^

Upvote 0

Swords&Sunflowers

May 10, 2018
✟176,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I totally agree with this, well said! :)

Haha another new name! Or maybe that should give you a name, like "Swords&Pondering". ^_^

lol that would be funny...but my enemies might get away...
Me: I will now slay thee thou evil beast!
Beast: Noooo! You will not prevail!
Me: Thou hast not knoweth that my sword is the sharpest in the land! Hold on, while I google the different types of swords..."
Beast: Fool! There is only one blade that can pierceth me!
Me: Hush...I must ponder on the meaning of life and if this sword in Amazon will suffice!

Upvote 0

Swords&Sunflowers

May 10, 2018
✟176,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Proverbs 9:8 Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
This verse is so true. This is one way to test to see if a person in wise. A wise person will listen to rebuke. So I guess, we must be wise when in comes to correcting someone in sin, and there is a price to being honest, most times it is not welcomed.

Proverbs 9:17 Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant. 18But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.
This made me lol, the part where it says "bread eaten in secret is pleasant", why is this so? Lol, it's exciting to eat something that is hidden (like cake when on a diet). But of course, Solomon, was talking about something else here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.