Politics
US-Republican
Hi Family,

What is SDA?

What is their doctrine?

Is it different than non-denom beliefs?

~Natsumi Lam~

SDA is Seventh-day Adventist

It is a legalistic Christian denomination (not a cult) whose main difference is they keep the 4th commandment keeping the Sabbath from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. They also keep the dietary laws of Leviticus 11, so they don't eat pork or shellfish, and most don't even eat meat at all and are just vegetarians, some even vegans. It is also a holiness denomination and don't wear jewelry or makeup, though they allow diamond studded watches. No tobacco, alchohol, movies, playing cards, or dancing.

In the early days of the denomination which came out of the Millerites movement, a young woman named Ellen G. White had visions, and became the demonination's prophetess. Her writings are obeyed and called the Spirit of Prophecy.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Why do some on CF call it a cult?

Because they are ignorant.

Walter Martin called it a cult in his book Kingdom of the Cults. But he was wrong, but because he was respected, people to this day call them a cult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

The church's beliefs and doctrines were first published in 1872 in Battle Creek Michigan as a brief statement called "A Synopsis of our Faith". The church experienced challenges as it formed its core beliefs and doctrines especially as a number of the early Adventist leaders came from churches that held to some form of Arianism (Ellen G. White was not one of them). This, along with some of the movement's other theological views, led to a consensus among conservative evangelical Protestants to regard it as a cult.​

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The church's beliefs and doctrines were first published in 1872 in Battle Creek Michigan as a brief statement called "A Synopsis of our Faith". The church experienced challenges as it formed its core beliefs and doctrines especially as a number of the early Adventist leaders came from churches that held to some form of Arianism (Ellen G. White was not one of them). This, along with some of the movement's other theological views, led to a consensus among conservative evangelical Protestants to regard it as a cult.​

The Seventh-day Adventist church is NOT Arianian, but are Arminian. Arianian believes Christ was a created being, which is NOT a belief of SDA, but of JW.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The SDAs are followers of Ellen White, who claimed to have several visions of Jesus. She also made several prophecies including the date that Jesus would return. He didn't.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Family,

What is SDA?

What is their doctrine?

~Natsumi Lam~

Hi Natsumi Lam, nice to see you :wave:

If your interersted PM me. You will not get correct answers to your questions from here but from the bible. Looking at some of the answers that some have given here are simply accusations, lies or misinformation. Happy to go through any claims here with you if you like and test them to see how true they are when tested against God's WORD.

But then again you know what Jesus says...

MATTHEW 10:22-25
[22], And you shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endures to the end shall be saved.
[23], But when they persecute you in this city, flee you into another: for truly I say to you, You shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.
[24], The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.
[25], It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?

Only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God. Jesus says all those who follow the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God are not following God *MATTHEW 15:3-9.

May God bless you as you prayerfully seek him through his Word.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The SDAs are followers of Ellen White, who claimed to have several visions of Jesus. She also made several prophecies including the date that Jesus would return. He didn't.
Well that’s not shocking since God’s Word says only the Father knows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

That is not true. She did not set a date for His return. Those dates 1843 and 1844 were set by Miller, long before there was an SDA we did not become a church until 1866.

Upvote 0

stephen pollard

Sep 30, 2018
Dublin
✟17,332.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi Family,

What is SDA?

What is their doctrine?

~Natsumi Lam~
From sda members I have known, they attain heaven, are justified by obeying the Ten Commandments, which includes observing a set saturday sabbath

• Optimistic
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
"Cult" is often a meaningless label used to denigrate nontraditional or new religious movements.

Having said that, they do indeed have some beliefs that are not typical for historic churches, such as soul sleep or the necessity of worshiping on saturday. In that sense they are really related to alot of Restorationist type movements that appeared in 19th century in America. Their Adventist attitude of expecting the immanent end of the world, and giving eschatology inordinate religious importance (the investigative judgment and the insecurity it implies) while not rare now days in the US among certain evangelicals, also is not an historic Christian emphasis, which is simply the hope of eternal life with God.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
From sda members I have known, they attain heaven, are justified by obeying the Ten Commandments, which includes observing a set saturday sabbath

Wrong... You can keep all the commandments and be lost---we are saved by grace---we keep the 10 commandments because we are saved, not in order to be saved. We keep them because we love the Lord, not in order for Him to love us--He already does that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stephen pollard

Sep 30, 2018
Dublin
✟17,332.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Wrong... You can keep all the commandments and be lost---we are saved by grace---we keep the 10 commandments because we are saved, not in order to be saved. We keep them because we love the Lord, not in order for Him to love us--He already does that.
I can assure you, the sda members I met all believed heaven hinges on obeying the ten commandments. More than one sda member on the internet plainly stated: We all know our justification is obeying the ten commandments. It may not doctrinally be spelt out like that, but that is the reality of what members believe

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I can assure you, the sda members I met all believed heaven hinges on obeying the ten commandments. More than one sda member on the internet plainly stated: We all know our justification is obeying the ten commandments. It may not doctrinally be spelt out like that, but that is the reality of what members believe

Having been SDA for most of my life, including going to SDA schools (I took 25 years off after high school for bad behavior)--I know there may be some who feel that way. Every denomination has their militant, know it alls who will warp things. It is not in any way, shape or form what is taught, preached, written, or read and certainly not what the members believe. I have been in SDA churches throughout the country, small towns, big cities---and mud huts --it is not the prevalent believe at all. That we are adamant about observing the 4th as written--is true. we are obviously, just from our name, opposed to the 1st day of the week as the day of the Lord. He said the 7th and sanctified it, and made it holy and none but God can do that. It was sanctified at creation. And will be kept in the New Jerusalem. There are 10--not 9 --and there is not one verse in the bible thst declares there is a new day to observe --you can call it legalism if you wish, but I daresay that anyone who strongly objects to murder, or stealing would not be considered a legalist or is working their way to heaven.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

stephen pollard

Sep 30, 2018
Dublin
✟17,332.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Having been SDA for most of my life, including going to SDA schools (I took 25 years off after high school for bad behavior)--I know there may be some who feel that way. Every denomination has their militant, know it alls who will warp things. It is not in any way, shape or form what is taught, preached, written, or read and certainly not what the members believe. I have been in SDA churches throughout the country, small towns, big cities---and mud huts --it is not the prevalent believe at all. That we are adamant about observing the 4th as written--is true. we are obviously, just from our name, opposed to the 1st day of the week as the day of the Lord. He said the 7th and sanctified it, and made it holy and none but God can do that. It was sanctified at creation. And will be kept in the New Jerusalem. There are 10--not 9 --and there is not one verse in the bible thst declares there is a new day to observe --you can call it legalism if you wish, but I daresay that anyone who strongly objects to murder, or stealing would not be considered a legalist or is working their way to heaven.
At the request of a friend, I went to an sda church for a while with an open mind. The only thing I knew about them was they went to church on a Saturday, which in my view wasn't a problem bearing in mind what the bible states concerning disputable matters(rom ch14) However, through speaking much to members, and hearing sermons, I came to see they believed(in reality) heaven hinged on obeying the ten commandments. The main contributor to cf who is a seventh day Adventist believes: ''You are not justified by obeying the law, but you can only be in a justified state if you do obey the law.'' In the real world, you then base justification on obeying the Ten Commandments. That's fine, but you should add: You can only be in a justified state if you obey the letter the bible states kills(2Cor3:6)
In my view, endlessly stating ''The Ten Commandments'' is very old covenant. The law God desires you to follow is within you, it is written in your mind and placed on your heart under the core terms of the New Covenant. It is in your dna so to speak. Meaning, in your heart you want to live as God desires you to live. Under such circumstances, to keep repeating: 'You must obey the Ten Commandments' is not to understand the very core foundation upon which the Christian faith stands

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
At the request of a friend, I went to an sda church for a while with an open mind. The only thing I knew about them was they went to church on a Saturday, which in my view wasn't a problem bearing in mind what the bible states concerning disputable matters(rom ch14) However, through speaking much to members, and hearing sermons, I came to see they believed(in reality) heaven hinged on obeying the ten commandments. The main contributor to cf who is a seventh day Adventist believes: ''You are not justified by obeying the law, but you can only be in a justified state if you do obey the law.'' In the real world, you then base justification on obeying the Ten Commandments. That's fine, but you should add: You can only be in a justified state if you obey the letter the bible states kills(2Cor3:6)
In my view, endlessly stating ''The Ten Commandments'' is very old covenant. The law God desires you to follow is within you, it is written in your mind and placed on your heart under the core terms of the New Covenant. It is in your dna so to speak. Meaning, in your heart you want to live as God desires you to live. Under such circumstances, to keep repeating: 'You must obey the Ten Commandments' is not to understand the very core foundation upon which the Christian faith stands

LOL--maybe it keeps being repeated because everybody keeps saying that the law was done away with. But what they mean is that only the 4th was done away with. Nobody considers murder, stealing, lieing, covetousness or anything else as being OK to break and still be allowed to enter into the presence of God. It is an odd thing that the only commandment that God says to remember is the only one that everybody else wants to forget. It may sound Old covenant--but Rev. doesn't think so. Yes, we are to keep them, as I said, only because we love the Lord and our fellow man. And therefore, they most assuredly are written ibn our hearts---which in no way means that we can then change them and altrer them to our hearts desire and unrepentantly break them and expect to enter into God's presence.
Mention you're SDA and people immediately start in on we are legalists---so we are constantly having to defend our keeping of the 7th day. But it doesn't seem to make anyone a legalist if they keep Sunday. I've never heard an SDA say---keep the commandments and you will go to heaven. They will not get you there---but breaking them can keep you out.

Upvote 0

stephen pollard

Sep 30, 2018
Dublin
✟17,332.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I've never heard an SDA say---keep the commandments and you will go to heaven. They will not get you there---but breaking them can keep you out.

Really? SDA members believe if you do not obey the ten commandments you may still enter heaven?

There are two different types of Christianity. Under the new covenant the law is written in your mind and placed on your heart(as you agree)
Sin is the transgression of the law(as you agree)
Through the law we become conscious of sin(as you agree)
What is in your mind you in your mind must know, the law in your heart must make you conscious you sin if you wilfully transgress it. Which only leaves two possibilities. Either the fourth commandment as written is not written in the mind or placed in the heart of believers, or, no one can be in a saved state if they have no heartfelt conviction of sin by failing to observe a set Saturday sabbath.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.