Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 21:12-13 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called. 13 And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.

Yes, the seed would come through Isaac - so we are not talking about salvific predestination. The OP didn't specify but this is, as you know, the soteriology forum.

Upvote 0

TannarDarr

Oct 14, 2013
TEXAS
✟558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Very interesting views, but they create other dilemmas. I'm going to follow your logic throughout this reply.
No, they don't. What you think you know may be contradicted, but not with scripture,,not in the least. I've had the talk with much brighter people than both of us. It causes NO dilemmas, and it's the ONLY thing that makes sense, and I'm not the only one that has made the argument either, it's taught in Seminaries that study the book.

I guess you have a better idea than the seminary professors... but until I see your credentials I'm just considering this a regular joe type conversation.

I'm going to be honest, your talking down to me tone makes me want to give it back at you. And knowing you haven't spent one second seeing what a Historical Present is, makes 9/10s of this post useless. You can't comment on what you don't know exists.

, Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, says this in verse 4 - "Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God".

We see Paul is speaking to the brethren at Rome, who he says have become dead to the law. We now have a subject, to which Paul includes himself.

Yes, the next verse says he is not in the flesh.
Do you suggest Paul didn't address the Hebrew people at all?
Do you contend that because it was rome, there were NO Jews there???/
It doesn't say they have become dead to the law. It says they were made to be dead to the law, so you MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT, blah blah blah. Paul shows where they are GOING, not proclaiming where they are.

He's writing to mostly Jewish Romans who had "adopted" some Gentiles into their faith, and taught them the Hebrew traditions that they kept. So, they could all be addressed as if they were Jews, but that doesn't change that Gentiles weren't under the law. So I do not know why you feel it relevant to name Paul as the Apostle to the Gentiles when this was a mostly hebrew tradition audience.

Al Gore would never say, 'the white man has done me wrong'. If he includes himself in the black man struggles, he is being deceptive, pulling the rug over their eyes.
GO read his speeches. No, he didn't say what you just said, but he said it as if he was black several times. That's just one of many examples in history. I am giving you real "types" of statements he made, not making it up. I'm improvising the words as I don't have any "can't forget anything I see" type skills.

CLICK HERE HIstorical present

And he sure wouldn't use 'I',
except HE DID. It's not a question. It's a fact. It happens EVERY CAMPAIGN SEASON, this isn't something that is open for discussion, until you do some research, nothing I can say will change your views, but you can see it in nearly every speech from a politician on the stump.

ANd just below he says "I was once alive apart from the law"... That's a lie. He never lived apart from the LAW. That was affecting his life before he was born, to be honest. So, Paul gives a direct and easily qualifiable use of "I" in a way you lean on to hold your position.

nor 'my' in his speech. Saying 'OUR struggles' is a lie if Al used these words; he never struggled as a black man. Now he might say I have empathy in YOUR struggles.

Sigh. make it up as you go. You didn't do any research on Historic Present Tense before you spoke, did you. That means this is all a waste of time.

Before the law was given, man was in sin, and not alive,

Really? Paul says the opposite, he says when the law came it brought death.

unless you believe everyone before the law was alive and all will be in heaven. The law was given to show man what he must do to obtain life.

This doesn't even make sense. Yo uare confusing two very different concepts into one statement. It's like saying tomatoes are a fruit and putting them in a fruit salad.

In any event, that's untrue. The law was given to show the tribes of Israel to be separate from the rest of the world. What do you think "HOLY PEOPLE" means.... a people set apart. The Gentiles NEVER lived under the law.

So, all the children of Israel and everyone else were alive before the law came? You have a lot of explaining to do with this, especially to those who lived during the flood, and the residents of Sodom and Gomorrah.
No I don't. False dilemma. I will apologize for you on your behalf. I'm sure it was unintentional.

People who lived during the flood were dead. That's a bit problematic. People in the swimming pool are DRY as well. People under the water are on fire, people standing in the street are flying, people posturing as wise are...... etc..
If every man was alive before the law, then all God had to do, was to not give the law. Every man would get to heaven without the law.

You've gotta justify your use of that "alive before the law". You may have got the wrong mushrooms on your pizza tonight....... OHHHHHHH it's a joke, just trying to lighten up the situation.

So what brought death to the Gentiles who didn't have the law? I have never lived under the law, am I alive without it?
false dilemma, it wasn't written to Gentiles. Find three scholars that claim it was written to exclusive Gentile audience.

James told us how sin is given birth, and nothing is said about the law.
Different author, different topic, different time, different people, irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Stick to what Paul said in these verses.

How was he alive part from the law, when all his life he lived under the law from the first breath UNTIL Christ came.

I don't think you are stupid nor wrong. I just don't see it the way you do.

You come on awfully presumptively and inconsiderately for someone with an open mind.

When you have dealt with He wasn't in the flesh, with he wasn't writing to Gentiles, that very few scholars make the argument he WAS speaking to Gentiles, and that there is such a thing as historical present AND that you understand it before you speak, get back to me.

Upvote 0

Ask Seek Knock

Jun 19, 2013
✟1,035.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How was he alive part from the law, when all his life he lived under the law from the first breath UNTIL Christ came.

But you told me this wasn't Paul speaking of himself, so your point is null and void.

But I have this for you - Paul said he (or Israel according to you) was alive before the law came. You then said this was before they were born. But isn't it true many of the children of Israel were born and living before the law came? So, please tell me how they were alive before the law came?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, the seed would come through Isaac - so we are not talking about salvific predestination. The OP didn't specify but this is, as you know, the soteriology forum.

The the Apostle Paul quoted part of Gen 21:12 in Romans chapter 9:7. Also if you'll notice in Gen 21:13, "will I make a nation", is nothing less than the divine providence of God. Going backwards to verse 12 we read, "in Issac shall your seed be called" is referring to the "children of promise" to the Covenant God made with Abraham, and "called" here does not mean to give a name, both election and effectual calling are tied to predestination (Romans 8:30). The great theologian Matthew Henry wrote of these verses:

"9-13 Let us not overlook the manner in which this family matter instructs us not to rest in outward privileges, or in our own doings. And let us seek the blessings of the new covenant by faith in its Divine Surety. Ishmael's conduct was persecution, being done in profane contempt of the covenant and promise, and with malice against Isaac. God takes notice of what children say and do in their play; and will reckon with them, if they say or do amiss, though their parents do not. Mocking is a great sin, and very provoking to God. And the children of promise must expect to be mocked. Abraham was grieved that Ishmael should misbehave, and Sarah demand so severe a punishment. But God showed him that Isaac must be the father of the promised Seed; therefore, send Ishmael away, lest he corrupt the manners, or try to take the rights of Isaac. The covenant seed of Abraham must be a people by themselves, not mingled with those who were out of covenant: Sarah little thought of this; but God turned aright what she said."

Again, a quote from the Biblical Expositor on Gen 21 8-13:

Abraham and the promised seed

1. In particular we see first that the blessings of the Abrahamic covenant, in their full and ultimate significance, are precisely identical with those of the Gospel. The Church began in Abraham’s household--as Paul has emphatically put it, the Gospel was preached before unto him, and so if the initiatory rite of that covenant, which was not a mere national thing, but included in it spiritual blessings for all the nations of the earth, could be administered to infants we need have no scruple about the baptism of infants. In Abraham’s case, an adult circumcision, as the Apostle affirms, was a seal of the righteousness of his faith. That is to say, faith was necessary to his circumcision, and yet he was commanded to circumcise Isaac upon the eighth day when it was impossible that Isaac could have faith. Why, then, though faith be required of an adult for his baptism, may we not baptize the infant of a believer, just as Abraham circumcised Isaac, being eight days old?

2. Again, the view which I have brought out concerning the promised seed, sets vividly before us the ultimate number of the saved. Abraham was to be the father of many nations, and to have a seed as the dust of the earth, or as the stars of heaven innumerable--and that, as we have seen, refers not to the Jewish nations, but to the seed of believers.

3. Finally, we have brought out into distinct relief by this view of the promised seed, the character of the saved. Abraham “is the father of all them that believe,” but this faith is inseparably connected with a spiritual birth-a birth resulting not from the operation of natural causes, but from the agency of the Holy Ghost. Now see how plainly that is foreshadowed tin the birth of Isaac as contrasted with that of Ishmael. Ishmael’s birth was of the flesh, but that of Isaac was in fulfilment of promise. It was really supernatural, it was a divine gift; and one great reason for the long delay was just that this might be made apparent. Isaac thus stands for those who are “born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”

Let me conclude by giving in plainest language what I judge to be for us now the spiritual truths suggested by this old history.

1. In the first place, the Deliverer for whom Abraham looked, whose actual coming in the future was made sure to him by the birth of Isaac, and whose day he saw afar off and was glad, has appeared among men. By a yet more striking miracle than that which issued in the birth of Isaac, “The Word who was God was made flesh and dwelt among us.”

2. Secondly, we learn from this old history, that in connection with the exercise of this faith, we must be supernaturally born, in order to enjoy the full blessings of salvation.

3. Finally, there is no inheritance without spiritual sonship. Ishmael who was born of the flesh, was cast out. Isaac who was born of the promise was the heir--the promised land belongs to the promised seed. “If children, then heirs.” (W. M. Taylor, D. D.)

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The the Apostle Paul quoted part of Gen 21:12 in Romans chapter 9:7. Also if you'll notice in Gen 21:13, "will I make a nation", is nothing less than the divine providence of God. Going backwards to verse 12 we read, "in Issac shall your seed be called" is referring to the "children of promise" to the Covenant God made with Abraham, and "called" here does not mean to give a name, both election and effectual calling are tied to predestination (Romans 8:30). The great theologian Matthew Henry wrote of these verses:

"9-13 Let us not overlook the manner in which this family matter instructs us not to rest in outward privileges, or in our own doings. And let us seek the blessings of the new covenant by faith in its Divine Surety. Ishmael's conduct was persecution, being done in profane contempt of the covenant and promise, and with malice against Isaac. God takes notice of what children say and do in their play; and will reckon with them, if they say or do amiss, though their parents do not. Mocking is a great sin, and very provoking to God. And the children of promise must expect to be mocked. Abraham was grieved that Ishmael should misbehave, and Sarah demand so severe a punishment. But God showed him that Isaac must be the father of the promised Seed; therefore, send Ishmael away, lest he corrupt the manners, or try to take the rights of Isaac. The covenant seed of Abraham must be a people by themselves, not mingled with those who were out of covenant: Sarah little thought of this; but God turned aright what she said."

Again, a quote from the Biblical Expositor on Gen 21 8-13:

Abraham and the promised seed

1. In particular we see first that the blessings of the Abrahamic covenant, in their full and ultimate significance, are precisely identical with those of the Gospel. The Church began in Abraham’s household--as Paul has emphatically put it, the Gospel was preached before unto him, and so if the initiatory rite of that covenant, which was not a mere national thing, but included in it spiritual blessings for all the nations of the earth, could be administered to infants we need have no scruple about the baptism of infants. In Abraham’s case, an adult circumcision, as the Apostle affirms, was a seal of the righteousness of his faith. That is to say, faith was necessary to his circumcision, and yet he was commanded to circumcise Isaac upon the eighth day when it was impossible that Isaac could have faith. Why, then, though faith be required of an adult for his baptism, may we not baptize the infant of a believer, just as Abraham circumcised Isaac, being eight days old?

2. Again, the view which I have brought out concerning the promised seed, sets vividly before us the ultimate number of the saved. Abraham was to be the father of many nations, and to have a seed as the dust of the earth, or as the stars of heaven innumerable--and that, as we have seen, refers not to the Jewish nations, but to the seed of believers.

3. Finally, we have brought out into distinct relief by this view of the promised seed, the character of the saved. Abraham “is the father of all them that believe,” but this faith is inseparably connected with a spiritual birth-a birth resulting not from the operation of natural causes, but from the agency of the Holy Ghost. Now see how plainly that is foreshadowed tin the birth of Isaac as contrasted with that of Ishmael. Ishmael’s birth was of the flesh, but that of Isaac was in fulfilment of promise. It was really supernatural, it was a divine gift; and one great reason for the long delay was just that this might be made apparent. Isaac thus stands for those who are “born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”

Let me conclude by giving in plainest language what I judge to be for us now the spiritual truths suggested by this old history.

1. In the first place, the Deliverer for whom Abraham looked, whose actual coming in the future was made sure to him by the birth of Isaac, and whose day he saw afar off and was glad, has appeared among men. By a yet more striking miracle than that which issued in the birth of Isaac, “The Word who was God was made flesh and dwelt among us.”

2. Secondly, we learn from this old history, that in connection with the exercise of this faith, we must be supernaturally born, in order to enjoy the full blessings of salvation.

3. Finally, there is no inheritance without spiritual sonship. Ishmael who was born of the flesh, was cast out. Isaac who was born of the promise was the heir--the promised land belongs to the promised seed. “If children, then heirs.” (W. M. Taylor, D. D.)

Okay, thanks for this. I have read through once and am rather baffled. I will try again. Are you defending Genesis 21:12 as predestination unto salvation?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Okay, thanks for this. I have read through once and am rather baffled. I will try again. Are you defending Genesis 21:12 as predestination unto salvation?

My pleasure, personally enjoying going deeper into this than I would have otherwise, and I can understand why a person could be baffled, it is complex. To try and answer your question, I would not say it is taught plainly in Gen 21:12 as such, however the Apostle Paul in Romans 9, while expounding different Old Testament passages including Gen 21:12, goes on to teach us:

Romans 9:22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Back up in Romans 9, where Paul quotes from Gen 21:12:

Romans 9:6 But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, 7 nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, “In Isaac your seed shall be called.” 8 That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed. 9 For this is the word of promise: “At this time I will come and Sarah shall have a son.”

In Paul's interpretation of those texts, the children of the promise, the "seed", are the children of God.

Narrowly I would defend Gen 21 8-13 as teaching election and effectual calling, but then what is involved in predestination or what is predestination? Does it not also involve the purpose and will of God, the counsel of His will? The choices of God involve the will of God, the election of man involves the choices of God, and these choices involving the destiny of men occurred when? Before the foundation of the world, from all eternity, as taught elsewhere in Scripture.

Btw, I did not compile the list personally, so it's possible I may have some disagreement(s) whether predestination is taught directly or indirectly, but it is a solid list as can be seen by passages which I highlighted in bold. I thought it might be helpful to mention that.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
1. Do you believe in free will or predestination?

2. What Bible verses support this position?

God bless you,
Grace

Can you first define "free will" before we answer?

Depending on what you mean, the Bible either talks about it, or it doesn't.

Upvote 0

roman2819

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Regarding predestination: Many Christians have been so awed by the word predestination that we forgot about context. Predestination means pre-planned. In biblical context, it means that God has pre-planned to offer redemption to the Gentiles. Paul or Peter were NOT talking about predestination of individuals.

For 2000 years before the apostles' times, Yahweh was God to the Jews only, while other pagan nations worship many pluralistic gods. Even after Jesus' resurrection, the apostles initially thought that redemption was intended for Jews only. Then Peter received a vision about eating unclean food, and they realized God wanted them to preach the gospel to the Gentiles too. Now, this was shocking to the Jews because it went against their tradition which was so rooted in the God of Abraham and Jacob, where Gentiles had no part in their God. As the old order changed, the Jews were displeased, and they demanded that Gentiles followed Jewish customs (many Christian Jews were still practicing circumcision and Sabbath at that time). Amid the hostility, even Peter distanced himself from the Gentiles, and Paul opposed Peter for that. To assure the Gentiles, Paul explained in Ephesians (and Letter of Romans) that God had always predestined (pre-planned) to offer redemption to the Gentiles. Let me explain the following verses while quoting them:

Ephesians 1:12, 13
[12]"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. ===> "we, who were the first to hope in Christ" refers to the Jews who had believed in God for 2000 years
[13] And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation ==> The Gentiles, who were previously excluded from Christ, are now included. Notice how Paul used different pronouns "we" [v 12] and "you" [v 13] as he refer to the Jews and Gentiles respectively.

When seen in context, the Bible was not talking about predestination of individuals. Instead, predestination means God has always planned (or pre-planned or predestined or destined) to offer redemption to the Gentiles. Different translations use different words but when we know context, we will not drill into the words technically.

About the words "chosen people" or "Chosen by God", which we tend to interpret factually today, thinking that God handpick or choose who should be saved. However, during biblical times [2000 or more years ago), people were more submissive to God -- much. much more than people today. Back then, they don't say that they chose to believe in Him; instead they said that God chose them. It is a humble way of speaking. To say that they chose to believe in God would have sounded arrogant or inappropriate to them. Today we don't speak that way anymore, and to us, such words sound like God literally choose who to save. But back then, it was really a humble way to say that it was a privilege to be part of God's people or kingdom.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Regarding predestination: Many Christians have been so awed by the word predestination that we forgot about context. Predestination means pre-planned. In biblical context, it means that God has pre-planned to offer redemption to the Gentiles. Paul or Peter were NOT talking about predestination of individuals.

For 2000 years before the apostles' times, Yahweh was God to the Jews only, while other pagan nations worship many pluralistic gods. Even after Jesus' resurrection, the apostles initially thought that redemption was intended for Jews only. Then Peter received a vision about eating unclean food, and they realized God wanted them to preach the gospel to the Gentiles too. Now, this was shocking to the Jews because it went against their tradition which was so rooted in the God of Abraham and Jacob, where Gentiles had no part in their God. As the old order changed, the Jews were displeased, and they demanded that Gentiles followed Jewish customs (many Christian Jews were still practicing circumcision and Sabbath at that time). Amid the hostility, even Peter distanced himself from the Gentiles, and Paul opposed Peter for that. To assure the Gentiles, Paul explained in Ephesians (and Letter of Romans) that God had always predestined (pre-planned) to offer redemption to the Gentiles. Let me explain the following verses while quoting them:

Ephesians 1:12, 13
[12]"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. ===> "we, who were the first to hope in Christ" refers to the Jews who had believed in God for 2000 years
[13] And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation ==> The Gentiles, who were previously excluded from Christ, are now included. Notice how Paul used different pronouns "we" [v 12] and "you" [v 13] as he refer to the Jews and Gentiles respectively.

When seen in context, the Bible was not talking about predestination of individuals. Instead, predestination means God has always planned (or pre-planned or predestined or destined) to offer redemption to the Gentiles. Different translations use different words but when we know context, we will not drill into the words technically.

About the words "chosen people" or "Chosen by God", which we tend to interpret factually today, thinking that God handpick or choose who should be saved. However, during biblical times [2000 or more years ago), people were more submissive to God -- much. much more than people today. Back then, they don't say that they chose to believe in Him; instead they said that God chose them. It is a humble way of speaking. To say that they chose to believe in God would have sounded arrogant or inappropriate to them. Today we don't speak that way anymore, and to us, such words sound like God literally choose who to save. But back then, it was really a humble way to say that it was a privilege to be part of God's people or kingdom.

Not really.

"Predestination" basically means "to set bounds".

Let us look at the definition given in Kittel's dictionary. From Rom. 8:29, we have the word: "prowpisev." From the root word: "proorizw," which means: to limit or mark out beforehand, predestine.

According to the dictionary (Kittel's), K. L. Schmidt comments:

"This comparatively rare and late word is used in the Greek Bible only six times in the NT in the sense "to foreordain" "to predestinate." Since God is eternal and has ordained everything before time, proopizein is a stronger form of opizein (to set bounds to). The synonyms and textual history show that the reference in proginwskien is the same. Rom. 8:29; ouv proginw kai prowpisen summorfouv tnv eikonov tou niou autou, Rom. 8:30; ous...prowpisen (A: proegnw) toutov kai ekalesen. The omniscient God has determined everything in advance, both persons and things in salvation history, with Jesus Christ as the goal. When Herod and Pilate work together with the Gentiles and the mob against Christ, it may be said: "h boulh [sou] prowrisen genesqai," Acts 4:28. Herein lies the hidden wisdom of God in a mystery, "hn prowrisen o qeoV pro twn aiwnwn eiV doxan hmwn," 1 Cor. 2:7, cf. IV, 819. The goal of our predestination is divine sonship through Jesus Christ: "proorisaV hmaV eiV uioqesian dia ihsou cristou ," Eph. 1:5. That we have our inheritance in Christ rests in the fact that we are proopisqentev kata proqesin tou ta panta energountov, Eph. 1:11.

Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Edited by: Gerhard Kittel, Translated by: Geoffery W. Bromiley, Vol. V, "proopizw", p. 456, K. L. Schmidt.

So there you have it, predestination is the mode by which God used to conform the elect to the image of His Son, by which we (the elect) are appointed to divine sonship.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
1. Do you believe in free will or predestination?
2. What Bible verses support this position? God bless you, Grace
I believe in free will AND predestination.

There is absolutely no conflict between free will and predestination. Everything which happens in God's creation was predestined to happen from before the foundation of the world. That includes the life span of a sparrow and the free choices of men - from choosing what to eat for supper to accepting Jesus as their Savior.

God created man with a free will. Just exactly how free it is after the fall is a matter of some debate. But obviously it has been affected a great deal according to the scriptures - both from within and from without. So much so that no one can come to the Son without being drawn by the Father. He draws only those He has chosen to give to the Son.

The doctrine you want to address as, supposedly, interfering with free will is election and not predestination.

Even then - the answer is both free will and election. God draws elect men to the Son by making them able to respond of their own free will. He does not force them to respond.

Whether that enabling is in the form of "regeneration" prior to responding or not is, again, a matter of some debate. Not that it really matters to us since the actions of the Spirit are a mystery to us and will remain so until we see clearly in the future.

We only see the affects of those actions and understand that we are saved only by grace through a faith which is authored by God and not of ourselves.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
,I think Jesus' is predestined. Lets see an example of Him using free will

“My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.”

Supreme act of free will here from a clear example of predestination.

When you don't want to do something, buuut....it's what ought to do....

If you do it anyway your free will passed the test.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
,I think Jesus' is predestined. Lets see an example of Him using free will

“My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.”

Supreme act of free will here from a clear example of predestination.

When you don't want to do something, buuut....it's what ought to do....

If you do it anyway your free will passed the test.

What a way to take scripture completely out of context. WOW!

How many times in the Gospels did Jesus tell His disciples that He was destined to die on the cross?

Scriptures tell us, He was to be our "ultimate sacrifice" a "lamb without blemish".

Jesus knew, what His end would be long before He was actually manifested here on Earth. (cf. "Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world," -1 Pet. 1:20)

Now did Jesus "want" to die? Perhaps not, for we know scriptures tell us that Jesus was "but was in all points tempted like as we are," (cf. Heb. 4:15).

Yet "he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." (cf. Phil. 2:8)

I am sorry, but I cannot accept your assessment. Especially when scriptures teach opposite.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What a way to take scripture completely out of context. WOW!

How many times in the Gospels did Jesus tell His disciples that He was destined to die on the cross?

Scriptures tell us, He was to be our "ultimate sacrifice" a "lamb without blemish".

Jesus knew, what His end would be long before He was actually manifested here on Earth. (cf. "Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world," -1 Pet. 1:20)

Now did Jesus "want" to die? Perhaps not, for we know scriptures tell us that Jesus was "but was in all points tempted like as we are," (cf. Heb. 4:15).

Yet "he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." (cf. Phil. 2:8)

I am sorry, but I cannot accept your assessment. Especially when scriptures teach opposite.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Are you referring to predestination and free will?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you referring to predestination and free will?

Predestination and free-will are to different things.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums