United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Screen Time and St. Ignatius - Ignatian Spirituality

[Not sure where to put this, since Christianity & World Religion is now read-only...admins, move this post as you see fit.]

This is a short, good article about a feeling we're all familiar with; spending a little time on a computer or TV, which becomes a lot of time, and we feel lousy at the end.

What do you all think of what the article says? How does it mesh with your own spirituality? I've come to appreciate Ignatian Spirituality, largely because it's so accessible to people of any religion, and I want a good cross-religious discussion of the article here.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There's a time and a place for that.

An old friend of mine has been struggling. He has multiple issues, and he had to cut off of Facebook since he could not help but make political posts that were both provocative, and not-well-thought-out. That of course generated backlash which made everything worse. Then he backed off for a while and posted potentially suicidal things. People posted the suicide hotline number and local resources that even he could take advantage of. I tried checking up on him but hadn't heard back and now recently, he was convinced to start Youtubing as a side hustle to help make ends meet. I don't know how successful that will be, but I do want to support him. I chose to never have a Youtube account a long time ago when the comments section was much worse than it is now, as I knew I wouldn't be able to keep away from it. Now, I might change that. Social media is a strange thing.

Upvote 0

Bertrand Russell White

Apr 5, 2021
Brockville
✟21,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Screen Time and St. Ignatius - Ignatian Spirituality

[Not sure where to put this, since Christianity & World Religion is now read-only...admins, move this post as you see fit.]

This is a short, good article about a feeling we're all familiar with; spending a little time on a computer or TV, which becomes a lot of time, and we feel lousy at the end.

What do you all think of what the article says? How does it mesh with your own spirituality? I've come to appreciate Ignatian Spirituality, largely because it's so accessible to people of any religion, and I want a good cross-religious discussion of the article here.

This is an individual issue. Everyone is different and should decide for themselves - based on wise considerations. No need for religion to have any say on it. If one must bring religion into it, then use something like Ecce. as a guide - "there is a time for everything..." (simple and straightforward). Equally good if not better is "moderation in all things". In understanding be men... In other words we need to grow up and use our critical thinking skills, advice from experts and wise friends. Just common sense - if you spend a lot of time doing one thing your taking away from doing something else - ask yourself is this healthy for me? Does this effect my family? My relationships? My work? etc.

Upvote 0