St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Isn't the whole point of this site to discuss our beliefs? My Christian beliefs all come from the word of God. Nothing more nothing less. I am doing what I believe is right based on those teachings. I'm not perfect and don't claim to be. From the replies I can see most people agree with homosexuality and wish to further it. I will refrain from further comments on the subject and stay silent on the issue.
It's not a question of "agreeing with homosexuality." Homosexuals exist. How we treat them is up to us. As to "furthering" homosexuality, I'm not even sure what you mean.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,151,107.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Love the sinner, hate the sin. It is my job to help and guide them. All I'm doing is repeating myself. I've stated my position, that's all I can do. There's nothing wrong with wanting employees that are Christian and believers.
To my knowledge, the only times the NT allows judgement is people within your church. It's possible to consider those as exceptions to "judge not." Your interpretation completely removes Jesus' command. See also 1 Cor 5:9-10.

There is no chance of guiding people who don't share your basic ethics and don't have any relationship accepting you as mentor. You are, however, conducting a fairly effective type of anti-evangelism.

I do understand that having people who have serious differences in their personal values is uncomfortable. Thus you indicate that it's not just gays but people with a different religion. However in the US neither is legal. It tends to result in discrimination against immigrants, people of certain races, etc. After a good deal of bad experience with this kind of thing, the US decided that it's not permitted. Discrimination against gays is just another example of something that's natural enough for people with certain prejudices but results in a situation contrary to basic American principles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,151,107.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Supreme Court based their ruling on the prohibition of sex discrimination. But for people in this discussion, they could also have used the prohibition of discrimination based on religion. I understand that there are plenty of people who just hate gays. But Christians generally say that that's not the case for them. They want to prevent furthering the violation of Biblical law. Alas, that motivation is a violation of Title VII for reasons that don't require the kind of controversial interpretation that Court just made. It is precisely equivalent to a Jewish boss not wanting any employee that violates the kosher laws at home.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,467.00
Faith
Seeker
Love the sinner, hate the sin. It is my job to help and guide them. All I'm doing is repeating myself. I've stated my position, that's all I can do. There's nothing wrong with wanting employees that are Christian and believers.

If you find out your waiter is a Wiccan halfway through your meal? Do you refuse to give them a tip?

If you take a taxi and your driver mentions he's gay, do you not pay the man?

If your plumber fixes your sink, does an excellent job, but mentions he was born a woman after the service is complete, do you stiff him?

Would you never watch a movie where one of the actors is an atheist? Never get gas at a station owned by a Hindu? Never ride on a bus where the driver is divorced?

I'm curious how far you take this thinking of 'I can never give a sinner money for doing a job'.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟375,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing wrong with wanting employees that are Christian and believers.

For the record, you can do that. If you organize your business as a private, members-only club. You won't be serving the general public, so you'll be limiting your customer base. But you'll be exempt from federal anti-discrimination law.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,151,107.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
For the record, you can do that. If you organize your business as a private, members-only club. You won't be serving the general public, so you'll be limiting your customer base. But you'll be exempt from federal anti-discrimination law.
Yes, but there are real requirements for such clubs. It can’t be used as a pretext.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟348,526.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So firing somebody and thus subjecting them to possible homeless and hunger is loving them?

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟204,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus didn't advocate for helping a sinner commit more sin. He advocated for repentance and corrections.
I appreciate that you respond to me. This shows you're no coward about defending your convictions which I have necessarily challenged.

However, I'm still waiting for some indication that you acknowledge what scripture says about God giving mankind over to the lust of the flesh to become homosexuals and many other undesirable things as a penalty, and as a lesson for not esteeming God as God. I have no idea if you understand there is a lesson to be learned by all of us, which I would articulate as acknowledging that it is God who makes us Holy, and not ourselves. So can you please answer yes or no whether you understand this lesson and the fundamental implication that comes with it, that Homosexuals didn't choose to be homosexuals according to scripture and therefore cannot choose not to be, apart from God's Spirit.

Above, your use of the term "advocate" is to me a misguided application. If homosexuality is a penalty, then of course it's not a reward by God and therefore not a desirable thing. Therefore Jesus advocates for sinners not so that sin can be promoted but so that mercy and understanding can be appealed to for the purpose of reconciliation.

How can you as a believer not tell them its wrong and not try to help them?
First off, before I can help them, I must not be deceived in thinking that I'm any better than them or anyone else in that I don't need help or to presume I know what help even looks like. Who needs another hypocritical Pharisee saying sin is wrong so don't do it? After all I am flesh also, and I therefore have lusts also, even though they manifest in different forms and/or degrees according to Romans 1. This is what in the context of judging I take Jesus' teaching to mean when he says, that I must first remove the beam from my own eye before I can see clearly to remove the speck from my brothers eye.

From what I'm seeing in the replies most tend to think what they are doing is just fine.
I don't see it that way. There are semantics that form when discussing a picture within a picture. So keeping in mind that I believe scripture teaches that homosexuality is a penalty for a greater offence of not being thankful to God for godliness, I need to find the act of any sin disgusting or there's no reason to be thankful for God's attributes. But I also must refrain from expecting the homosexual to be able to change their affection apart from God, otherwise again there is no reason to be thankful to God for His attributes.

I'm by far not perfect but ignoring the word of God to me seems like a move in the wrong direction.
Of course ignoring God's word is moving in the wrong direction. But it's also not correct to misunderstand and then misrepresent what God says or is doing. We need to truly understand what God's Word is saying and the intentions therein, before we can claim whether or not it's being ignored.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's not a question of "agreeing with homosexuality." Homosexuals exist. How we treat them is up to us. As to "furthering" homosexuality, I'm not even sure what you mean.

Letting them live (which is against the Bible) might further homosexuality...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was a character that's for sure. Nobody was comfortable around him and he was a bad person to work with. When someone is protected by the law all they have to do is yell discrimination and they win.
I’ve been in management. If supers document well and HR is professional, that tactic doesn’t work.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm beginning to think that this isn't a Christian forum.

If it's not pure enough for your liking, you can always make one of your own.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟514,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't the whole point of this site to discuss our beliefs? My Christian beliefs all come from the word of God. Nothing more nothing less. I am doing what I believe is right based on those teachings. I'm not perfect and don't claim to be. From the replies I can see most people agree with homosexuality and wish to further it. I will refrain from further comments on the subject and stay silent on the issue.

You misunderstand. You’ve somehow interpreted the Bible as a in your face, call out the sin of the sinner when one can, and take it so far as to ostracize them and deny them employment. There was a group of people in the NT who behaved similarly and Jesus despised them. They were the Pharisees. They presented an aura of righteousness by looking on the sinners much like you do, and ostracized the sinners like you advocate.

Yet, I cannot recall any verse to support your treatment of sinners as it pertains to denying them employment, volunteering your opinion to your employees/sinners that the way they live their lives is immoral.

What verses support this?

Upvote 0