• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Science Title of the Month: October 2020

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by sesquiterpene, Oct 29, 2020.

1. sesquiterpene

sesquiterpene Active Member

+322
    United States
    Agnostic
    Private
    File under: Cross-disciplinary
    Can Traditional Chinese Medicine provide insights into controlling the COVID-19 pandemic: Serpentinization-induced lithospheric long-wavelength magnetic anomalies in Proterozoic bedrocks in a weakened geomagnetic field mediate the aberrant transformation of biogenic molecules in COVID-19 via magnetic catalysis - ScienceDirect

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+2,890
    Atheist
    Good grief

3. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+5,256
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    That almost sounds comical but the virus causes blood clots and it might be due to micro lithification of iron compounds. This MIGHT just might , make sense if it’s tested for more. Other than that I don’t have an opinion other than it sounds vaguely , very vaguely plausible. The jade bracelet stuff , meh

4. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+6,841
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    I'm sure it will receive strong support from President Trump, who has very likely funded the research via one of his many charitable organisations (directed through Russian subsidiaries to avoid sycophantic publicity).

5. Ophiolite

+6,841
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    Yes it is the reference to long wavelength magnetic anaomalies and traditional Chinese jade amulets that screams woo to me.

6. Brightmoon

+5,256
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    There’s a woman called sienna 678 who needs help badly , please help

7. sesquiterpene

+322
    United States
    Agnostic
    Private
    How can we help?

8. Brightmoon

+5,256
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    I was just advised that this was a scam

9. Quid est Veritas?

Quid est Veritas? In Memoriam to CS Lewis

+8,540
    Protestant
    Married
    Best line in the entire study:

"It is posited that Jade (including Nephrite) amulets protect the wearer against unseen nefarious forces that cause disease in thoracic organs."

Well, I am convinced. I'll order my full Jade PPE right now:

747eec87ac0ceb948248c066177d0c93.jpg

10. Ophiolite

+6,841
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    I've tried this, but it just left me feeling jaded.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+2,024
    Atheist
    Private
    I'm thinking maybe there is a few journals we don't need.

12. Brightmoon

+5,256
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    I don’t think it’s the journals so much , creationists have been trying to hijack control over what gets published for a while . If they can discredit science journals people won’t trust them .

13. sesquiterpene

+322
    United States
    Agnostic
    Private
    I don't think creationists have anything to do with this. The YECs have their own journals which they publish in, and nobody reads. The IDCreationists also have their own journal, which nobody reads because nobody publishes in it.

14. That Guy 11200

That Guy 11200 Newbie

+80
    Atheist
    Private
    That's what quackery depends upon.

15. Quid est Veritas?

+8,540
    Protestant
    Married
    I don't think this is an attempt to discredit the journals. The Chinese are touchy on their traditional medicines and such, so they often sponsor dubious things out of a sense of nationalist pride. Investigating the effects of magnetic fields on the microbiome seems legitimate research, but the ringing endorsement of Jade amulets on flimsy grounds, seems to cater to a specific Jingoistic chip on the shoulder that China often now exhibits. The question is cui bono, and I am sure you'll find quasi-state Chinese entities amongst the financial sponsors thereof.

16. sesquiterpene

+322
    United States
    Agnostic
    Private
    Where in the world did that come from? I think your own prejudices are showing here. The primary author is an African-American working at the University of Pittsburgh, and has apparently been bonkers for quite some time. He has his own Theory of Everything, and is just waiting for the scientific community to replace Einstein with himself.
    Moses Turkle Bility
    https://www.academia.edu/41280206
    Also:
    /Stonehenge_as_a_public_health_intervention_device_for_preventing_lithospheric_magnetic_field_induced_emerging_diseases_and_megadeath_during_periods_of_severely_weakened_geomagnetic_field
    No evil Chinese conspiracy to be seen.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Quid est Veritas?

+8,540
    Protestant
    Married
    China has been paying Westerners to study their traditional medicines for quite some time, and has been supporting very dodgy research in so doing - while thoroughly institutionalising quackery in that regard in China itself. This seems more of the same. Consider it my prejudice if you will, but the endorsement of Jade Amulets seem very suspect. I do not think it would be hard for China to find a home grown Western quacksalver - birds of a feather.

Is China the World Leader in Biomedical Fraud?

China is promoting coronavirus treatments based on unproven traditional medicines

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeli...re-chinese-traditional-medicine-unfortunately

Why China’s traditional medicine boom is dangerous

18. sesquiterpene

+322
    United States
    Agnostic
    Private
    Well, we have one vote for evil creationists and one vote for the evil Chinese. But given the Stonehenge connection and the fact that this article clearly mocks Chinese Traditional Medicine, it's obviously a disinformation operation by MI6.

19. Quid est Veritas?

+8,540
    Protestant
    Married
    I must have missed where it mocks Chinese Traditional Medicine in between its endorsement of Jade Amulets, saying how insightful it is, and how we should be investigating its 'nefarious forces' hypothesis. I also do not see what relevance the Stonehenge article has at all here. But, okay.

Elsevier’s research integrity – For Better Science