St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I was not aware that there was another definition. I have always understood creation to be the creation of the universe out of nothing, the verse in Romans where God speaks not being as being. There is nothing disingenuous. You are being insulting without cause.
That may your understanding; but why are you insisting on it here?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I was not aware that there was another definition. I have always understood creation to be the creation of the universe out of nothing, the verse in Romans where God speaks not being as being. There is nothing disingenuous. You are being insulting without cause.
I am sorry you found my remarks insulting. (I think insults are intentional and there was no such intent here.)

Now, if I were using the etymology and lexicology of a word, especially a word in a language foreign to me, to bolster an argument then I would take considerable care to ensure I was accurate in my definition. Not to do so would be an insult to my audience. I accorded you the respect of assuming you had done the same. That left only the two options I mentioned as I had not suspected incompetence.

I hope you are not going to be insulted by that remark. We are all incompetent at vastly more things than we are competent at. I'm just pointing out an area you might wish to work on. Alternatively you could have said, "I understand that such and such is the case" rather than "such and such is the case".The former acknowledges a degree of uncertainty on your part. Ultimately though it is up to you. Good luck with which ever route you choose.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟54,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry you found my remarks insulting. (I think insults are intentional and there was no such intent here.)

Now, if I were using the etymology and lexicology of a word, especially a word in a language foreign to me, to bolster an argument then I would take considerable care to ensure I was accurate in my definition. Not to do so would be an insult to my audience. I accorded you the respect of assuming you had done the same. That left only the two options I mentioned as I had not suspected incompetence.

I hope you are not going to be insulted by that remark. We are all incompetent at vastly more things than we are competent at. I'm just pointing out an area you might wish to work on. Alternatively you could have said, "I understand that such and such is the case" rather than "such and such is the case".The former acknowledges a degree of uncertainty on your part. Ultimately though it is up to you. Good luck with which ever route you choose.
I was referring to the comment that Dogmahunter said "the universe can't have existed for eternity" yet that does not presuppose a creator. My question, which has still not been answered even though I am the one being called disingenuous by someone who doesn't even think that calling person a liar would be insulting, is where did the universe come from. I was presented with a definition that the universe was not made out of nothing. I was told the Bible doesn't say that God calls not being as being, and when I quoted that verse there was not apology. The people on this thread are insulting and arrogant. They accuse others of being disingenuous when they are clearly avoiding answering the key question that has been asked at least 3 times.

Am I incompetent for wanting to know where the universe came from and if you say that creation does not refer to making the universe out of nothing, then how do you explain the universe being here? You seem quite comfortable calling others liars and incompetent, so why don't you help dogmaHunter out and answer the question.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You seem quite comfortable calling others liars and incompetent, so why don't you help dogmaHunter out and answer the question.
I am entirely comfortable, though regretful, in calling others liars when there is strongly suggestive evidence that they are. I would have thought with your scientific training you would realise the importance of holding people to account for the integrity of their claims. Do you not think that is important? I suspect you do and, if so, why would you object to having your own integrity tested?

I am also entirely comfortable about pointing out incompetence in others, but especially grateful when others point out incompetence in my own work. That is one of the best ways of learning and improving. I'm sorry you do not appreciate the value of that for self growth, but encourage you to point out any incompetence on my part.

I cannot help dogmaHunter with an answer to his question since I have no idea what the answer is, lack the information to begin building the answer, lack the skill set necessary to process such information and almost certainly lack the intellect to apply the skills, that I don't have, to the information, that I don't possess.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Am I incompetent for wanting to know where the universe came from...
No. We all want to know and right now nobody does.
...and if you say that creation does not refer to making the universe out of nothing...
Wrong. We are saying that the creation story in the Bible does not appear to specify absolutely that the universe was made out of nothing
, then how do you explain the universe being here?
At the present time there is no explanation.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
We are saying that the creation story in the Bible does not appear to specify absolutely that the universe was made out of nothing

In my experience nothing comes from nothing; and something comes from something else.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,810.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In my experience nothing comes from nothing; and something comes from something else.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your experience is statistically insignificant.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You are one individual out of the 5.5 billion individuals alive on the Earth. Each one has his or her own experience. One out of 5.5 billion is statistically insignificant.

• Agree
Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You are one individual out of the 5.5 billion individuals alive on the Earth. Each one has his or her own experience. One out of 5.5 billion is statistically insignificant.

Has anyone's experience been different. Has Causality departed us? I would have thought that this would have been front page news. No I'm not talking about those newspapers at the grocery checkout, that say "I sheen Elvis at WulMort."

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone's experience been different. Has Causality departed us? I would have thought that this would have been front page news. No I'm not talking about those newspapers at the grocery checkout, that say "I sheen Elvis at WulMort."
I certainly have not heard that causality had been abandoned but I have no experience of nothing, so I don't know if it even makes sense to think of something coming from nothing. Just relying on common sense derived from experience I would think it more likely that there has always been something.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I certainly have not heard that causality had been abandoned but I have no experience of nothing, so I don't know if it even makes sense to think of something coming from nothing. Just relying on common sense derived from experience I would think it more likely that there has always been something.

One can't experience the emptiness of nothing in the presence of something; but one can discern that which is; from that which is not.

I can see nothing if I look between the stars. it's on the outskirts of what is.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
One can't experience the emptiness of nothing in the presence of something; but one can discern that which is; from that which is not.

I can see nothing if I look between the stars. it's on the outskirts of what is.
No, what you see between the stars is an apparently empty space/time manifold--which is not nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟174,730.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
There is nothing in empty space.
'Empty space' is a model you had in your mind when you wrote that post .. but what about the meaning of the words in that phrase? Do you think that meaning was just floating around in that space you refer to .. sort of waiting for us to discover (or something like that)?
If so, then that space is not 'empty' .. somehow it contains the meanings of your words(?)
If not, then 'empty' and 'space' is a model created by your mind, so it seems your 'empty space' also contains that model (and your mind).

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Except the space itself. Empty space is not nothing.

If nothing is the absence of something; then how would one define nothing, in the absence of everything? You define space by an abstract relationship of that which is concrete; but there is nothing concrete in empty space, nor outside the confines of the tangible aggregate. That which is without limits is undefined; but you attempt to limit that which is undefined, that which is outside the limits of that what is defined, by that which is defined.

Last edited:
Upvote 0