School Field Trip to Teacher's Lesbian Wedding Sparks Controversy

Which would you choose, if both were possible?

• Today's government-managed public school.

• Home school.

Results are only viewable after voting.

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I honestly believe that allowing parents to teach children their religious prejudices is a horrible form of child abuse.
Suppose we teach them the beauty of married love and teach them simply to love sinners. I think it is an assault on religion to force curricula on students the glorifies gay marriage. And, I suppose teaching homosexuality comprehensively as a sin would include statistics regarding MSM. The primary point though, for a Catholic, is that one cannot legitimately be a gay married Catholic, and one sins if they have sex outside of marriage or uses contraception. The Catholic philosophy, then, is comprehensive enough that it needn't teach any hate whatsoever. What do you think?

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Suppose we teach them the beauty of married love and teach them simply to love sinners. I think it is an assault on religion to force curricula on students the glorifies gay marriage. And, I suppose teaching homosexuality comprehensively as a sin would include statistics regarding MSM. The primary point though, for a Catholic, is that one cannot legitimately be a gay married Catholic, and one sins if they have sex outside of marriage or uses contraception. The Catholic philosophy, then, is comprehensive enough that it needn't teach any hate whatsoever. What do you think?

I think that is a fine way to structure religious teaching. I also think teaching respect for other people's relationships is part of teaching good citizenship within a pluralistic society. In fact, it closely parallels one of the Ten Commandments.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think that is a fine way to structure religious teaching. I also think teaching respect for other people's relationships is part of teaching good citizenship within a pluralistic society. In fact, it closely parallels one of the Ten Commandments.
I can see respecting their privacy, but supporting the further sexualization of society is to be resisted. Gay marriage is just a continuation of that, and results in many people of religion possibly paying for benefits that are contrary to the philosophy.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

But one of the Ten commandments is do not commit adultery and shall not covet your neighbours wife and honour your father and mother. How does a same sex couple fit in? Are they exempt form the Ten commandments? How does a same sex couple get to be a father and mother, they can't.
Same sex unions are dysfucntional and against God's purposes, it neither respects people for whom they were created for nor makes any functional sense.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
But one of the Ten commandments is do not commit adultery and shall not covet your neighbours wife and honour your father and mother.

Exactly. Do not commit adultery and do not covet your neighbor's wife both have to do with respecting your neighbor's marriage. If your neighbors are a gay couple, respect their marriage, too.

Pretty simple, huh?

How does a same sex couple fit in? Are they exempt form the Ten commandments? How does a same sex couple get to be a father and mother, they can't.

You mean a person who does not have both a father and a mother has no obligation of filial piety?

Same sex unions are dysfucntional and against God's purposes, it neither respects people for whom they were created for nor makes any functional sense.

:confused: So you don't respect your neighbor's family relationships if they do not have an intact nuclear family?

A good citizen in a pluralistic society respects his/her neighbor's family, even if it is different from his/her own.

Reactions: Texas Lynn
Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Whatever laws Canada and Massachusetts pass, other nations and states pass laws that aren’t dysfunctional.

Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Zimbabwe...

The main reason same sex unions are dysfunctional is that the sexual reproductive organs of man and woman are designed to interact together. The penis to deliver sperm to the vagina

There are certainly other forms of sexual expression even if considering among heterosexuals only.

If you believe no human being is capable of understanding God’s purposes, you must act of all your own views. Of course men can know God’s purposes...

In their arrogance they think they can.

Teaching dysfunction is abuse. Children need to be taught the truth. The truth also includes love and not harming others, but love and harm are different from sex. Liberal secular extremists want to teach dysfunction.

"Dysfunction" as used here, is in the eye of the beholder.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I can see respecting their privacy, but supporting the further sexualization of society is to be resisted. Gay marriage is just a continuation of that...

No more so than heterosexual marriage is.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How does a same sex couple get to be a father and mother, they can't.

Generally they don't; but there are exceptions as in the case of a person who undergoes gender reassignment surgery while married or otherwise in couplehood and after having had children.

It does to those who enter into them and ultimately they decide, not others.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

To Crazy Liz,
Exactly. Do not commit adultery and do not covet your neighbor's wife both have to do with respecting your neighbor's marriage. If your neighbors are a gay couple, respect their marriage, too.
There is no such thing in the Biblical testimony, if the neighbours are a gay couple the 1o Commandments don’t apply to them as they aren’t believers.
How does a same sex couple fit in? Are they exempt form the Ten commandments? How does a same sex couple get to be a father and mother, they can't.
You mean a person who does not have both a father and a mother has no obligation of filial piety?
No I mean How does a same sex couple fit in? Are they exempt form the Ten commandments? How does a same sex couple get to be a father and mother, they can't
So you don't respect your neighbor's family relationships if they do not have an intact nuclear family?
I am talking about God’s purpose not what you think I think.

To Texas Lynn,
There are certainly other forms of sexual expression even if considering among heterosexuals only.
Yes like paedophilia.
Unlike your personal assessment of whether something harms or not, I look to God’s word to see what God says harms and is error.
In their arrogance they think they can
On the contrary you have it the wrong way round, in our humility and humbling before God we respect His purposes, arrogance is thinking people know more than God. Romans 1 describes this very condition which leads to same sex error.
Dysfunction" as used here, is in the eye of the beholder.
Again that is just your opinion, my opinion is same sex unions are dysfucntional and against God's purposes, it neither respects people for whom they were created for nor makes any functional sense

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
To Crazy Liz,
There is no such thing in the Biblical testimony, if the neighbours are a gay couple the 1o Commandments don’t apply to them as they aren’t believers.

I'm trying to understand how your response answers my point.

I said Christians should respect their neighbors' marriages, whether their neighbors are Christians or not. You reply that the 10 Commandments do not apply to non-Christians.

Does that mean you have no problem with Christians stealing from non-Christians, or with Christians murdering non-Christians, or with Christians bearing false witness against non-Christians?

How does a same sex couple fit in? Are they exempt form the Ten commandments?

:confused: I think you just said they are.

How does a same sex couple get to be a father and mother, they can't.
No I mean How does a same sex couple fit in? Are they exempt form the Ten commandments?

:confused: I think you just said they are. :confused:

How does a same sex couple get to be a father and mother, they can't
I am talking about God’s purpose not what you think I think.

When you stop contradicting yourself, we may be able to understand each other.

To Texas Lynn,
Yes like paedophilia.
Unlike your personal assessment of whether something harms or not, I look to God’s word to see what God says harms and is error.

Can you show me where God's word says paedophilia harms and is error?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe she is endorsing child-molesting.

BMS repeatedly makes a point of saying that he does not give opinions or interpretations in his posts, but only quotes the Bible. She is calling him out on this point. Yes, child molestation is wrong. Yes, we know that God does not approve. But it does not say so directly in the Bible, so BMS cannot simply be quoting the Bible when he makes that statement.

**And yes, I shifted the goal post, slightly. Because I believe you accidentally nudged it first and I was just re-setting it. Pedophilia (a mental condition) is not the same as child-molesting (an action), and while a pedophile may be sick, his condition itself is not a sin, though he sins if he chooses to act inappropriately because the desires that his condition triggers.**

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Anyone who endorses paedophilia is sick

Nobody here endorses it. The argument was made that what is right and wrong is based on God's word, not on what we think, and paedophilia was used as an example. I think paedophilia is actually a counter-example, since we all agree it is wrong, even though it is not (to the best of my knowledge) ever mentioned in the Bible.

I'd like to find out the basis for the statement. The common thread in BMS's posts seems to be that they are all filled with contradictions.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Pretty simple, huh?

What's pretty simple is that God's law trumps mans law. As such, why would a Christian be respectful ofthat which is done in contradiction to God's Word?

There can be no Biblically ordained "gay marriage" and thus there is nothing to respect.

:confused: So you don't respect your neighbor's family relationships if they do not have an intact nuclear family?

Are you equating such gay relationships with not having an intact nuclear family?

A good citizen in a pluralistic society respects his/her neighbor's family, even if it is different from his/her own.

As a Christian, I am to be in this world but not of it. As such, I am not called to gauge my walk by society's measure,but by GOD's. And if society's measure conflicts with God's, I'm going with God's.

As such, I can respect individuals without respecting their acts that are against God.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
What's pretty simple is that God's law trumps mans law. As such, why would a Christian be respectful ofthat which is done in contradiction to God's Word?

There can be no Biblically ordained "gay marriage" and thus there is nothing to respect.

Are you equating such gay relationships with not having an intact nuclear family?

No. I'm asking if BMS is.

As a Christian, I am to be in this world but not of it. As such, I am not called to gauge my walk by society's measure,but by GOD's. And if society's measure conflicts with God's, I'm going with God's.

As such, I can respect individuals without respecting their acts that are against God.

This is not relevant to my post to BMS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think paedophilia is actually a counter-example, since we all agree it is wrong, even though it is not (to the best of my knowledge) ever mentioned in the Bible.

The Bible is silent on the subject of pedophilia. A biblical case against pedophilia can only be built on inference and interpretation.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

I would tend to agree with you but I am not sure we would agree on the definition of "respect".

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

Pretty simple, huh?

How do you define "respecting their marriage?"

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
The Bible is silent on the subject of pedophilia. A biblical case against pedophilia can only be built on inference and interpretation.

True but you can build a very strong case based upon victimization of children, which has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Upvote 0