• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Schizophrenia or spiritual experience?

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah so I had some experiences a while back that I do not really know how to interpret. I am torn between believing I actually have a mental illness (psychosis or schizophrenia), or believing these events actually were like a sign from God. Does anyone on here have experience with these sorts of things? Cheers.

• Prayers
Reactions: BrokenLoner

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah so I had some experiences a while back that I do not really know how to interpret. I am torn between believing I actually have a mental illness (psychosis or schizophrenia), or believing these events actually were like a sign from God. Does anyone on here have experience with these sorts of things? Cheers.
Please provide more details? Thanks!

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Please provide more details? Thanks!
Yeah so I had locutions at very rare occasions, like thrice in my life. And also had an interior vision this summer that was quite unique and felt special in a way. I do not know what it meant or if it was actually from God, but it seemed to signifiy a future promise too, but I might be wrong on this assumption. Also things have happened that I do not understand why God let them happen at all, and when I ask him for answers I am met with silence. I want to understand the deeper spiritual meaning behind certain events in my life but in the end I come up with nothing.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah so I had locutions at very rare occasions, like thrice in my life. And also had an interior vision this summer that was quite unique and felt special in a way. I do not know what it meant or if it was actually from God, but it seemed to signifiy a future promise too, but I might be wrong on this assumption. Also things have happened that I do not understand why God let them happen at all, and when I ask him for answers I am met with silence. I want to understand the deeper spiritual meaning behind certain events in my life but in the end I come up with nothing.
Anything coming from His Holy Spirit will be to help you with your walk. Our Father is not the author of confusion nor does He impress on us things of no consequence or effect. That is why " nothing" is the result. Seeking deeper spiritual meanings is not what Jesus Christ of Nazareth commanded us to do. Once one receives His Holy Spirit the " seeker" has reached union with Him as He now dwells in the believer. He is there to guide us into all holiness through conviction and repentance. We are now vessels of God spreading His Gospel and bringing those who are lost into His Kingdom. Love is the catalyst of Christianity because God is Love and there is no fear in Perfect Love.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anything coming from His Holy Spirit will be to help you with your walk. Our Father is not the author of confusion nor does He impress on us things of no consequence or effect. That is why " nothing" is the result. Seeking deeper spiritual meanings is not what Jesus Christ of Nazareth commanded us to do. Once one receives His Holy Spirit the " seeker" has reached union with Him as He now dwells in the believer. He is there to guide us into all holiness through conviction and repentance. We are now vessels of God spreading His Gospel and bringing those who are lost into His Kingdom. Love is the catalyst of Christianity because God is Love and there is no fear in Perfect Love.
Blessings.
Yeah then I do not understand what the heck is going on, because I've been a Christian for my whole life but I have never experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit in a tangible way, even though I have prayed for it and fasted and so on. Then what is going on here??!?!

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah then I do not understand what the heck is going on, because I've been a Christian for my whole life but I have never experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit in a tangible way, even though I have prayed for it and fasted and so on. Then what is going on here??!?!
You believe so you have His Holy Spirit. We do however, " quench" His work in us now and then. Typically quenching is caused by fear, doubt, confusion and of course sin. Working on these first, He will help ! Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BrokenLoner

Mar 23, 2024
Missouri
✟2,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Recently I was painting a truck and unintentionally got high on paint fumes and saw 4 days worth of evil visions. You have to judge for yourself the visions you see and why you’re having them. It’s not always a mental health issue. Sometimes I just do unintended stupid things. You have to judge you.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2024
Oostende
✟1,501.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm no healthcare professional but I used to have a sister who suffered from schizophrenia. She had trouble distinguishing reality from imaginary and things only got worse for her and today she is no longer with us. I can only advise you to go to your regular doctor and explain your experience and if he says your fine then I guess you don't have to worry. My father once told me that when he was still dating my mother, a man had collapsed along the side of the road and started to talk in a strange way while moving his limbs. People stopped and started praying, thinking he was speaking in tongues while in reality he just had an epileptic seizure.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I suffer from Schizophrenia and I have had both psychotic episodes and I have personally experienced what I would call divine revelations from God. Its easy for me to distinguish between the two because when I'm in a Psychiatric episode and when God is trying to tell me something it usually feels far more real than something my brain can make up like with psychosis. That being said, I would talk to a psychiatrist and have him evaluate you. No really. If you do have schizophrenia or a mood disorder (or both like i do) without being medicated it could cost you your very life. I know as Christians we don't like taking meds but with Psychiatric disorders they really are required and a necessary evil if you don't want to end up in a hospital for the rest of your life. Or worse. Please, see a psychiatrist.

Upvote 0

BrokenLoner

Mar 23, 2024
Missouri
✟2,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suffer from Schizophrenia and I have had both psychotic episodes and I have personally experienced what I would call divine revelations from God. Its easy for me to distinguish between the two because when I'm in a Psychiatric episode and when God is trying to tell me something it usually feels far more real than something my brain can make up like with psychosis. That being said, I would talk to a psychiatrist and have him evaluate you. No really. If you do have schizophrenia or a mood disorder (or both like i do) without being medicated it could cost you your very life. I know as Christians we don't like taking meds but with Psychiatric disorders they really are required and a necessary evil if you don't want to end up in a hospital for the rest of your life. Or worse. Please, see a psychiatrist.
Please send me a private message. I’d like to ask you a couple questions out of the public eye. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Please send me a private message. I’d like to ask you a couple questions out of the public eye. Thank you.

Yes! I can do that! Give me a moment I just woke up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums