Schiavo to be given new guardian

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
rookie said:
I have a very dear friend who's daughter (EJ) tried to commit suicide when she was 14. What resulted was anoxic brain injury. EJ was in a nursing home (due to all the care needed) for years getting "therapy" and also had a feeding tube. The docs told my friend that EJ would never improve.

One day, my friend made the decision to take EJ home, removed the feeding tube. With the help of an attendant, in her home, EJ didn't starve, she feeds herself now. Granted, she isn't 100% improved and never will be. But how she is now vs. how she was then is absolutely amazing.

Yes, her mom wrote Gov. Bush in defense of Terri Schiavo. She likened EJ to Terri. When I have seen Terri on tv, she acts like EJ did.

I praise God for EJ, I praise God for Terri's tube being reinserted, and I do believe miracles happen.

rookie

And miracles do happen everyday. :) EJ is proof, is she not?

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Firscherscherling said:
I find it difficult to see the miracle in such situations.

Depression to the point of suicide, anoxic brain injury, life as an invalid. A very shallow miracle at best.

The miracle is this child got a second chance at life. Progress was made that was not assumed to be. Being disabled does not mean that a person cannot be happy.

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
I know that’s what you mean. I’ve just always had a problem with the idea of such miracles. You’ll see on the news a big bus crash where 20 folks get mangled and two of them survive. People say it is a miracle. I disagree and believe it is a tragedy. The miracle would be the bus being magically diverted from the crash saving all aboard.

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Firscherscherling said:
I know that’s what you mean. I’ve just always had a problem with the idea of such miracles. You’ll see on the news a big bus crash where 20 folks get mangled and two of them survive. People say it is a miracle. I disagree and believe it is a tragedy. The miracle would be the bus being magically diverted from the crash saving all aboard.

I must go for now, but look forward to continuing this discussion.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
CarrieK said:
I've read about the case. And, there are doctors that believe rehabilitation efforts will be effective.
There are no standard "rehabilitation efforts" and no methodology besides. Look it up. Every treatment currently given to PVS patients is extremely experimental.

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Philosoft said:
There are no standard "rehabilitation efforts" and no methodology besides. Look it up. Every treatment currently given to PVS patients is extremely experimental.

As all treatments and meds once were. Furthermore, I believe that all treatment is experimental, since so many variables must be taken into consideration and a plan designed specifically for each individual. The field of medicine is not all-knowing. It involves an ongoing learning process. What was once thought impossible some years ago is common place now.

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Firscherscherling said:

How often has just that very thing happened that we are unaware of? How many times has tragedy been avoided just because someone got a feeling that he/she listened to? Or perhaps a chain of events caused a delay that prevented a tragedy. How many times could we have avoided a negative, if only we had listened?

As for your scenario, I agree. Such a bus crash is a tragedy. But that it is, does not remove the miracle of survival of the two. And seeing the latter as a miracle, does not suggest we do not see the pain and suffering of the victims and their family and friends.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
CarrieK said:
As all treatments and meds once were. Furthermore, I believe that all treatment is experimental, since so many variables must be taken into consideration and a plan designed specifically for each individual. The field of medicine is not all-knowing. It involves an ongoing learning process. What was once thought impossible some years ago is common place now.
Good, now read the other part of my post. There are no affirmed methodologies about how to employ these experimental treatments. It's entirely hit-and-miss. I would be surprised if Mr. Schiavo could afford such arbitrary treatments that are usually prohibitively expensive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Philosoft said:
Good, now read the other part of my post. There are no affirmed methodologies about how to employ these experimental treatments. It's entirely hit-and-miss. I would be surprised if Mr. Schiavo could afford such arbitrary treatments that are usually prohibitively expensive.

What about the award from the court intended specifically for her treatment?

What about the doctor that has offered to care for her and provide rehabilitation at no charge?

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟677,809.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
cbk:
<< Is she really brain-dead? I say, at least give the parent's and their doctors opportunity to prove the others wrong. >>

Where have you been? This case has been in the courts for six years. Reputable doctors testify that there has never been a recovery for someone in Terri Schaivo's condition. Never---not even once.

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Dale said:
cbk:
<< Is she really brain-dead? I say, at least give the parent's and their doctors opportunity to prove the others wrong. >>

Where have you been? This case has been in the courts for six years. Reputable doctors testify that there has never been a recovery for someone in Terri Schaivo's condition. Never---not even once.

And reputable doctors testified this was not the case.

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Might I suggest a consideration of Helen Keller and Christopher Reeve's conditions? In spite of all their challenges, both became and remain a positive influence. Neither chose to give-up. On the other hand -- both were given a chance to make their own decision to pursue life with the hand dealt to them.

Upvote 0

CarrieK

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟221.00
Faith
Catholic
Since there are two threads involving this matter, I am not sure where to post this message. I suppose I shall post it here.

I feel that we all come to the table of discussion with biases on various levels, due to our own life experiences.

One of my experiences is that I have been sentenced to death on more occasions than one. Obviously, someone was wrong and/or didn't succeed. I have been the victim of a spouse making sure that I did not have the medical care I needed. By all rights, I should have passed on and my X could have declared things other than the truth. Who would have known?

While I shan't share all that took place, I would like to share a couple of things.

One night, I was having severe chest pains. Knowing this, he said all kinds of things to first upset me and then left me there to live or die alone. (I didn't have insurance and he had already removed all our money -- mostly mine -- from our accounts.) We did not have a "public" hospital at the time. To even be seen beyond a car wreck or such -- required money up front that I did not have. (He knew that.)

Surprise!!! I lived!!!

To follow... I had an obvious infection that could definitely lead me to death. I begged him for less than a hundred dollars. He told me he didn't have the money to help me. (Remember that he took both my money/means for self-help, and readily knew this "ought" to kill me. And, as my husband -- he was the one that would inherit my share of all things.) Not like he didn't have a motive that wasn't in my best interest.

God gave me intervention not supposed as possibility. The medical personnel involved in the last situation I presented to you, had no idea how I survived same. They were in awe of the possibility that I did!!! AWE... and the thought there was NO WAY -- but I did!!! In short -- please do not suggest to me, of all people, that Terri has "no chance" based upon Michael and his attorney's suggestion of same. First, I want to see her have chance -- something that has obviously not occurred -- even by your own suggestion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mac6yver

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
✟8,740.00
Faith
Agnostic
CarrieK said:
Might I suggest a consideration of Helen Keller and Christopher Reeve's conditions? In spite of all their challenges, both became and remain a positive influence. Neither chose to give-up. On the other hand -- both were given a chance to make their own decision to pursue life with the hand dealt to them.
Their mind was in no way affected by their condition. This woman is a prisoner in here own mind.

Upvote 0