Schiavo to be given new guardian

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
You all will be pleased to hear that Terri Schiavo is to have her feeding tube reinsertedand will be appointed a new independent guardian.

This is by new legislation passed by the Florida Legislature.

It'll be intersting to see if this miracle therapy everyone has been talking about really works...

Florida lawmakers pass bill to save comatose woman

Gov. Bush has said he'll order feeding tube reinserted

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (CNN) --Florida lawmakers gave Gov. Jeb Bush the power to order the reinsertion of a feeding tube to keep a brain-damaged woman alive Tuesday afternoon, effectively overturning a court ruling that she be allowed to die.

The state Senate voted 23-15 to approve a measure allowing Bush to issue a one-time order reinstating Terri Schiavo's feeding tube, which was removed Wednesday after a lengthy court battle between her husband, Michael, and her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler.

The bill also allows a judge to appoint an independent guardian for Schiavo, taking away guardianship from Michael Schiavo, who has been fighting to remove the tube.

The bill is on its way to Bush, who has said he'll sign it. Tuesday afternoon, a judge in Clearwater refused to issue a temporary restraining order that Michael Schiavo's attorneys had sought.

Terry Schiavo, 39, has been in what doctors call a persistent vegetative state after suffering heart failure in 1990.

Outside the hospice in Pinellas Park where she is being cared for, the crowd cheered and embraced after learning of the Senate's action.

"This is blessed," said Bob Schindler, who has been leading the fight to keep his daughter alive.

By a vote of 68-23, the GOP-controlled Florida House approved the bill late Monday.

The Schindlers had been publicly pressing Bush to intervene. He expressed sympathy for their position but said he did not have the authority to countermand court orders allowing the tube to be removed.

Michael Schiavo asked that the tube be removed because his wife made it clear before her collapse that she did not want to live on life support and because she has no meaningful hope of recovery. Her parents dispute that contention, insisting that despite her medical condition, she responds to them and could improve with rehabilitative care.

The Schindlers accuse Michael Schiavo, who collected more than $1 million in malpractice settlements stemming from his wife's collapse, of trying to remove the tube so that he can keep the money and pursue a new relationship. He denies the charge, countering that his in-laws are angry because they didn't receive any of the money.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/10/21/coma.woman/index.html

Firscherscherling

Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Oh, brother! The contention that has been made is that this woman is not in a vegetative state and that she can be rehabilitated. I would just be interested to see if this is true.

If it turns out she is indeed vegetative and not rehab-able, it will be interesting.

Anyway, my intent was to create a new thread to get this new news out in an obvious way, not to continue the debate on teh other thread, so you can keep your foolish dramatics over there, thanks.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Curious. Is this really the way God chooses to assert his influence? Momentarily prolonging the life of a person who has a negligible chance of further purposeful existence? Am I supposed to be overwhelmed by this instance of divine compassion, when soldiers in Iraq are still dying by the dozen?

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Firscherscherling said:
Pretty easy,really. Just ask yourself if it could have happened the same way without people praying. Yep.
I don't think so. The court's decision would have won out, as is evident by the fact that they already pulled the tube out. No, I've seen it too many times in my own life..

He who has eyes, let him see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How sad that her husband, who is supposed to make these decisions, has had his role usurped by those who have not walked a mile in his shoes but who assume, with great glee, that they have the moral highground.

I assume that this is totally unconstitutional - as the court had already ruled ont h is case in many previous instances-and will be overturned by the courts.

And those who are tapdancing now, might want to think about what such an action by a state legislature means in the future. If, after all of the courts have decided that this man had a legal right to discontinue the feeding tube, the state legislature can overide those rulings, (thereby setting precedent)then the next time the evil Liberals are in, and someone wants to override something going the other way, who will be celebrating? So now, no matter what our Supreme Court says, if the locals don't like it, they'll just pass legislation overriding it. You have now destroyed the single most important document in human history and the one that set this country and this republic apart from all others. Now go wave a flag.

Lillith

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lillithspeak said:
How sad that her husband, who is supposed to make these decisions, has had his role usurped by those who have not walked a mile in his shoes but who assume, with great glee, that they have the moral highground.

I assume that this is totally unconstitutional - as the court had already ruled ont h is case in many previous instances-and will be overturned by the courts.

And those who are tapdancing now, might want to think about what such an action by a state legislature means in the future. If, after all of the courts have decided that this man had a legal right to discontinue the feeding tube, the state legislature can overide those rulings, (thereby setting precedent)then the next time the evil Liberals are in, and someone wants to override something going the other way, who will be celebrating? So now, no matter what our Supreme Court says, if the locals don't like it, they'll just pass legislation overriding it. You have now destroyed the single most important document in human history and the one that set this country and this republic apart from all others. Now go wave a flag.

Lillith
Oh yes, preventing the state-sanctioned murder of an innocent woman is destroying the Constitution! How typical! How convenient to overlook how the courts have usurped power and overridden democracy on numerous occasions and need to be curtailed. How convenient too to also overlook that her "husband" had a gross conflict of interest, and all of Terri's immediate family, who actually took care of her and were devoted to her, did not want her to die. And that this supposed memory of her "husband" of the casual conversation they had while watching a movie on Karen Ann Quinlan didn't come up until years after her illness, after money got involved.

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
brewmama said:
Oh yes, preventing the state-sanctioned murder of an innocent woman is destroying the Constitution! How typical! How convenient to overlook how the courts have usurped power and overridden democracy on numerous occasions and need to be curtailed. How convenient too to also overlook that her "husband" had a gross conflict of interest, and all of Terri's immediate family, who actually took care of her and were devoted to her, did not want her to die. And that this supposed memory of her "husband" of the casual conversation they had while watching a movie on Karen Ann Quinlan didn't come up until years after her illness, after money got involved.
How amazing it is to me that you presume to know anything about it, really. Search for days and you won't find a complete anf full explanation of the story. Ony the hype you are throwing out here. Condemn, condemn, condemn...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Firscherscherling

Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
If you folks would stop shooting off at the mouth, (calling people you don't know from Adam murderers) long enough to listen, ou would know that I never did anythiong of the sort. What I did do is express concern that, rather that advocating a reasonable point of view toward this case, you folks chose to whip up a vitriolic string of viscious accusations based on a half knowledge of the case. You exhibited a clear inability to focus on the life of Ms. Schiavo, but instead focused on being judge, jury and executioner toward the husband.

My position was clear: I do not knwo enough about the case to know for sure what is going on. I know that 18 doctors and 20 judges sided with Mr. Schiavo, and that the family had 8 doctors of their own. Doesn't sound like enough info to start calling people evil murderers. Might turn out the husband is a total scumbag who fooled the doctors and the courts (as far out as that sounds to me). It may also be that Ms. Schiavo is a vegetable and wanted to be allowed to die. Neither of us know, now do we?

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Firscherscherling said:
If you folks would stop shooting off at the mouth, (calling people you don't know from Adam murderers) long enough to listen, ou would know that I never did anythiong of the sort. What I did do is express concern that, rather that advocating a reasonable point of view toward this case, you folks chose to whip up a vitriolic string of viscious accusations based on a half knowledge of the case. You exhibited a clear inability to focus on the life of Ms. Schiavo, but instead focused on being judge, jury and executioner toward the husband.

My position was clear: I do not knwo enough about the case to know for sure what is going on. I know that 18 doctors and 20 judges sided with Mr. Schiavo, and that the family had 8 doctors of their own. Doesn't sound like enough info to start calling people evil murderers. Might turn out the husband is a total scumbag who fooled the doctors and the courts (as far out as that sounds to me). It may also be that Ms. Schiavo is a vegetable and wanted to be allowed to die. Neither of us know, now do we?
You seem to think you're qualified to condemn babies and grown women to death.

What gives you the right to oppose our stand for life?

What if we think you're not fit for society and pull the plug on you? Where does your madness end?

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Ah, Dr. So good to see you again. I find your mouth-foaming insults and total lack of ability to discuss the actual topics very entertaining, so please continue. I promise not to report you.

Now an I supposed to answer this when it cmpletely disregarded what I said? You know.. the stuff about you having a reasonable point of view in advocating for the life of Schiavo, but being unreasonable is shouting vitriolic insults based on half truths.. Oh, I forgot. Thats your MOA.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Firscherscherling said:
Ah, Dr. So good to see you again. I find your mouth-foaming insults and total lack of ability to discuss the actual topics very entertaining, so please continue. I promise not to report you.

Now an I supposed to answer this when it cmpletely disregarded what I said? You know.. the stuff about you having a reasonable point of view in advocating for the life of Schiavo, but being unreasonable is shouting vitriolic insults based on half truths.. Oh, I forgot. Thats your MOA.
Go ahead and report me.. I'll even show you where the button is.. As evidenced in yet another unnamed thread, you're the one bringing arguments to the table with a complete lack of facts. I think I'll pull the tube out of you.

So go ahead.. Report away.

Upvote 0