a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟37,041.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
So really, as far as getting to heaven is concerned, it makes no difference.

You can do something only for love of Him, not simply to get something (salvation).

Scapular is like when you keep in your pocket the photo of your wife, or at hand the wedding ring: something technically useless, but a sign of your love.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do so many Protestants wear crosses? Why do we capitalize the first letter of pronouns that refer to God? Why do people drive around with fishes on the back of their cars? Why do churches have crosses on them?

We do these things to help remind us of what we are living for, as signs of respect and adoration, and identify our selves to the world so they know why we do what we do.

I might be wrong but I expect the Catholics wear Scapular for the same reasons.

Upvote 0

UBERROGO

May 1, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I ask because my friend had one that said that everytime you kiss it it forgives 40 sins and if you die with it then its basically a guaranteed 'in' to Heaven. But everyone on the internet says it does essentially nothing but remind you of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UBERROGO

May 1, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Perhaps you should have told us this before, no?

I honestly don't know about the 40 sins bit, but God doesn't work in human terms that way.
Sorry about that.

I just called him. I remembered that it was something very high like 500 sins for just wearing it, but he said that it said 40 sins for kissing it. But him and another RC that I asked both told me they were guaranteed 'ins' to Heaven.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sorry about that.

I just called him. I remembered that it was something very high like 500 sins for just wearing it, but he said that it said 40 sins for kissing it. But him and another RC that I asked both told me they were guaranteed 'ins' to Heaven.

Those are common misconceptions even amoung some catholics. It is not a magical device. For me it reminds me to pray daily and remember my faith in Christ. The Carmelites who are the order that Brown scapular comes from say:

The Carmelite Scapular is not:

a magical charm to protect you

an automatic guarantee of salvation

an excuse for not living up to the demands of the Christian life

It is a sign:

which has been approved by the Church for over seven centuries;

which stands for the decision to

Follow Jesus like Mary:

Be open to God and to his will

Be guided by faith, hope, and love

To pray at all times

To discover God present in all that happens around us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We do these things to help remind us of what we are living for, as signs of respect and adoration, and identify our selves to the world so they know why we do what we do.

I might be wrong but I expect the Catholics wear Scapular for the same reasons.

You just hit the nail on the head. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Montanaman

Aug 29, 2006
✟16,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Why does wearing a Scapular of Mary get me into Heaven so quick?

Oh no you d'int!

Short answer: Because of it's magical powers that bypass the sacrifice of Christ. That's what you wanted to hear, right? Wasn't it, UBER? This was a comment about my mother, wasn't it? Wasn't it!?

Reactions: QuantaCura
Upvote 0

TheListener

Save a cow - eat a vegetarian!
Aug 22, 2004
Sydney
✟19,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh no you d'int!

Short answer: Because of it's magical powers that bypass the sacrifice of Christ. That's what you wanted to hear, right? Wasn't it, UBER? This was a comment about my mother, wasn't it? Wasn't it!?
I would have like to hear you say that :p

Upvote 0

UBERROGO

May 1, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Oh no you d'int!

I'm gonna punch you right in the babymaker.

Anyways someone should consider calling the manufacturer of those scapulars and tell them not to write stuff like that on the tag. Also maybe have the Pope give out some disclaimer on that and have it announced next Sunday.

Upvote 0

ThisRock

Oct 31, 2006
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERROGO
I ask because my friend had one that said that everytime you kiss it it forgives 40 sins and if you die with it then its basically a guaranteed 'in' to Heaven. But everyone on the internet says it does essentially nothing but remind you of God.
Sorry about that.

A scapular is a sort of mini-version of a part of clothing worn by religious (monks and nuns) hundreds of years ago. They used to wear these large pieces of cloth to signify their order or their devotion to Jesus and Mary. Lay people started wearing them in a smaller version. You take the scapular to a priest who says a certain prayer for you and you devote your daily life to Jesus and to be more like Mary in her devotion to him. The scapular is more of a symbol of what is in your heart--as an example, when your scapular wears out, you don't need to get the new one blessed. It was really the wearer's heart which was blessed and you must wear the scapular in faithful obedience. You just don't slap one on to ward off sins with your little brown ticket to heaven. (;) )

If worn with faith, it can help you in the shortening of temporal punishment due to sins. The kissing of it comes from the love in your heart for the Blessed Mother and if you kiss it with love as if you are kissing her with love there is a partial indulgence associated with the act if done from the heart.

The Blessed Mother appeared to the founder of the Carmelites (as in Our Lady of Mount Carmel) in the 13th century and promised him that anyone who dies wearing the scapular habit of the order will be saved from hell. Todays brown scapular is a lay version of that larger habit. Those who wear it must wear it piously.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.