Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You know the same thing was true of the "The Hand's up Don't Shoot meme". That didn't happen as originally advertised yet it is still a thing...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nds-up-dont-shoot-did-not-happen-in-ferguson/

"...But we also care about setting the record straight. Investigators have overwhelmingly rejected witness accounts that Brown had his hands up in a surrender before being shot execution-style. The DOJ has concluded Wilson did not know whether Brown was armed, acted out of self-defense and was justified in killing Brown. The majority of witnesses told federal investigators that the initial claims that Brown’s hands were up were not accurate. “Hands up, don’t shoot” did not happen in Brown’s killing, and it is a characterization that deserves Four Pinocchios. Politicians should step carefully if they try to highlight this expression in the future."

View attachment 280907

Cool, so now we have another bogus narrative.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It all could have been avoided if social workers were sent to help them communicate their anger in a more healthy manner.
I didn't say that.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say that.
No, you didn't. I did. I hear there is a push to replace police officers with social workers. Just stating that social workers could have prevented the problem from escelating.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, you didn't. I did. I hear there is a push to replace police officers with social workers. Just stating that social workers could have prevented the problem from escelating.
It's true that social workers could have prevented this and many other crimes. So could mental health professionals. They can help prevent people from ever being in a situation that might involve cops.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought it was a push to cut back on some money for police and hire more social workers and others to help deal with social issues that lead to situations like this. I wonder if gun registration law would help, but that is a different topic.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought it was a push to cut back on some money for police and hire more social workers and others to help deal with social issues that lead to situations like this. I wonder if gun registration law would help, but that is a different topic.
You may be correct. I just heard that they wanted to defund the police and use the money toward social workers. However, there are some on this forum who have advocated for the complete abolishment of the police and replaced/reformed into something of social workers.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You may be correct. I just heard that they wanted to defund the police and use the money toward social workers. However, there are some on this forum who have advocated for the complete abolishment of the police and replaced/reformed into something of social workers.
I have never seen anyone on this forum advocate for the complete abolishment of the police - that assertion is completely untrue.

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It all could have been avoided if social workers were sent to help them communicate their anger in a more healthy manner.
I know you're being facetious here, but to be fair the cops weren't sent either. Sounds like nobody called for any assistance until after the shooting.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It's true that social workers could have prevented this and many other crimes. So could mental health professionals. They can help prevent people from ever being in a situation that might involve cops.

Do you think social workers would have wanted to be involved in this situation without cops present? These guys all pulled guns on each other. I seriously doubt social workers would have responded without police in this case.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
We've discovered gun registration laws don't help anything. The places with the most strict gun laws often have the most shootings. Cause criminals get guns and don't register them.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal

Some want that while others want to abolish police. So it depends on who you talk to.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you think social workers would have wanted to be involved in this situation without cops present? These guys all pulled guns on each other. I seriously doubt social workers would have responded without police in this case.
Social workers and mental health professionals help before it gets to that point. Cops are useless in that situation. We have cops and there is still crime because criminals don't care about cops, they still will commit these crimes.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Social workers and mental health professionals help before it gets to that point. Cops are useless in that situation. We have cops and there is still crime because criminals don't care about cops, they still will commit these crimes.

You know what social workers and mental health professionals would have been useless in that situation. They weren't there and wouldn't have been before the guns came out.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have social workers or mental health professionals. I actually don't have an issue with having them available more often. I would love to have them respond to domestic disturbances. Then they could talk the wife beater into going to jail without a fight. Then they could talk to the wife about not attacking the cops for taking the abusive man to jail.

Unless you are considering offering free marriage counseling to all married couples. Cause most domestic violence situations have escalated to that long before anyone would be called. Wife beaters don't care about social workers.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know what social workers and mental health professionals would have been useless in that situation. They weren't there and wouldn't have been before the guns came out.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have social workers or mental health professionals. I actually don't have an issue with having them available more often. I would love to have them respond to domestic disturbances. Then they could talk the wife beater into going to jail without a fight. Then they could talk to the wife about not attacking the cops for taking the abusive man to jail.

Unless you are considering offering free marriage counseling to all married couples. Cause most domestic violence situations have escalated to that long before anyone would be called. Wife beaters don't care about social workers.
Nothing would have helped that situation, but cops would have been the most useless in that situation. It's been proven that police, like gun regulations (which would be enforced by cops) are not effective. Criminals still commit crimes, they don't care about gun laws or the cops who enforce them. When people are going to carry guns and shoot each other like the people in the story the cops can't do a thing just as gun laws can't do a thing.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Nothing would have helped that situation, but cops would have been the most useless in that situation. It's been proven that police, like gun regulations (which would be enforced by cops) are not effective. Criminals still commit crimes, they don't care about gun laws or the cops who enforce them. When people are going to carry guns and shoot each other like the people in the story the cops can't do a thing just as gun laws can't do a thing.

Then why did you bring up.social workers in this situation?

And it hasn't been proven that police are ineffective. Police are effective in reducing crime. They wouldn't have helped in the current case unless one was right there. But over all they are effective

More COPS, less crime - ScienceDirect

In 2018 a paper in Princeton published that more Cops had reduced crime and had a cost benefit to boot.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No proof at all, just as I expected. Zero evidence.

Lol you mean other than his confession and apology?

It looks like you're heavily invested in a false narrative and you're either ignoring or dismissing any evidence that proves your narrative false.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

It looks like you're heavily invested in a false narrative and you're either ignoring or dismissing any evidence that proves your narrative false.
hmmm I must be missing the part where it was done because of racism - where does he confess that? Or do you actually have no evidence of that, as I thought?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal

We humans are pretty good at that. Anything that can alter our prescribed world view is very hard to accept. It means we were wrong in our thinking. And we just don't want to be wrong.

Just like the false narrative that cops killing unarmed black men is rampant. Or the fact that cops are killing black men just cause they are black. Sometimes I wonder why I bother talking about this with folks like that.

Upvote 0